Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mirdif, Emirate Hills, The Gardens

Mirdif, Emirate Hills, The Gardens

Old Jan 12th 2005, 6:54 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Mirdif, Emirate Hills, The Gardens

Hi there

Gareth and I have just got back from Dubai after spending a few days there on a 'look and see' basis.

Well we love it and now definetely planning our move. Whist we were there we visited the 'Street of Dreams' on the EMAAR site a Emirate Hills, the villas there are fantasic and are considering renting in this area.

However, we have heared quite alot about an area call Mirdif which is a short drive away, but you can get much more for your money. Does anyone live in Mirdif so you can give us an idea of what the area is like, Gareth will be working at Mediacity, so Emirate Hills will be great area to lease due to it's close location to Mediacity, but was wondering how long it would take from Mirdif. I'm looking for pros and cons in each area if you have any? Also on the Gardens!!

Cheers

Zannie
Old Jan 12th 2005, 7:22 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mirdif, Emirate Hills, The Gardens

Originally Posted by Zannie
Hi there

Gareth and I have just got back from Dubai after spending a few days there on a 'look and see' basis.

Well we love it and now definetely planning our move. Whist we were there we visited the 'Street of Dreams' on the EMAAR site a Emirate Hills, the villas there are fantasic and are considering renting in this area.

However, we have heared quite alot about an area call Mirdif which is a short drive away, but you can get much more for your money. Does anyone live in Mirdif so you can give us an idea of what the area is like, Gareth will be working at Mediacity, so Emirate Hills will be great area to lease due to it's close location to Mediacity, but was wondering how long it would take from Mirdif. I'm looking for pros and cons in each area if you have any? Also on the Gardens!!

Cheers

Zannie

Hi Z welcome to the forum

Yes Emirates Hills would be very convenient for Media City (Junction 5), however this junction is a pain at the best of times, depending on what time you wish to leave to get to work. Anytime between 7am - 9am and 3pm-5pm can sometimes be chaotic just getting across or onto the flyover (bridge). However, it is getting better as more access roads are developed into and out of EH's.

Mirdiff, I hv little knowledge of times from or to, rentals are cheaper for sure but all are going up!! At a guess i would say approx 40 mins depending on traffic, I am sure there is somebody around here who can confirm or advise more accurately.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 7:58 am
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jellybean
Hi Z welcome to the forum

Yes Emirates Hills would be very convenient for Media City (Junction 5), however this junction is a pain at the best of times, depending on what time you wish to leave to get to work. Anytime between 7am - 9am and 3pm-5pm can sometimes be chaotic just getting across or onto the flyover (bridge). However, it is getting better as more access roads are developed into and out of EH's.

Mirdiff, I hv little knowledge of times from or to, rentals are cheaper for sure but all are going up!! At a guess i would say approx 40 mins depending on traffic, I am sure there is somebody around here who can confirm or advise more accurately.

Mirdiff is good and cheap, but there's no amenities there. However a big centre will be finished later this year. As per Jellies post, its the wrong side of town and u r also close to the airport flight path.

However, once Jebel Ali airport is finished with a planned passenger thruput greater then Heathrow, nowhere past interchange 5 is going to be peaceful!! u have 8 yrs to completion..
Old Jan 12th 2005, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

johnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nicejohnbuoy is just really nice

I concur everyones comments on this post especially getting around interchange 5, it can be a nightmare at times.

Mirdiff is a cheaper option and not too far to commute from, i have a friend who rents a 4 bedroomed villa + maids room for AED60k and gets a swimming pool, gymnasium thrown in, correct about the lack of shopping facilities but it will improve, the downside is being on the flightpath, which is busy, and they do come over low and noisy.

It's hard to comment where Shk Zayed Rd will be in a months time or a couple of years, there is a new flyover being built between interchange 4 & 5 but it has no roads going to it!! so what the plan is with that i don't know.

Maybe someone else can advise

Last edited by johnbuoy; Jan 12th 2005 at 9:31 am.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

I have been living on Emirates Hills for only a week now and so far it is quite good. Getting out of the area in the mornings is a nightmare, but that is the only complaint I have. Incidentally, where are you planning on renting, the Lakes, Springs or Meadows?

Mirdiff is a nice area with nice houses but it really is on the wrong side of town, very isolated and it is like living in Hounslow, lots of aircraft noise especially late at night when Dubai airport is at its busiest. If Gareth will be working in Media City then you won't want to live in Mirdiff. The traffic to cross the creek is horrendous, in fact, the morning traffic on the Sheikh Zayed Road is horrendous full stop!!!

The Gardens is an apartment community, one of the cheapest ones in Dubai I believe but there is a 1-2 year long waiting list because of that

Hope this helps
Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by johnbuoy
I concur everyones comments on this post especially getting around interchange 5, it can be a nightmare at times.

Mirdiff is a cheaper option and not too far to commute from, i have a friend who rents a 4 bedroomed villa + maids room for AED60k and gets a swimming pool, gymnasium thrown in, correct about the lack of shopping facilities but it will improve, the downside is being on the flightpath, which is busy, and they do come over low and noisy.

It's hard to comment where Shk Zayed Rd will be in a months time or a couple of years, there is a new flyover being built between interchange 4 & 5 but it has no roads going to it!! so what the plan is with that i don't know.

Maybe someone else can advise

The Interchange will connect The Palm with SZR, Al Khail and Emirates Road. They are also building a tunnel as Media City will continue to grow on the other side next to The Greens.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Palm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nicePalm Tree is just really nice

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
I have been living on Emirates Hills for only a week now and so far it is quite good. Getting out of the area in the mornings is a nightmare, but that is the only complaint I have. Incidentally, where are you planning on renting, the Lakes, Springs or Meadows?

Mirdiff is a nice area with nice houses but it really is on the wrong side of town, very isolated and it is like living in Hounslow, lots of aircraft noise especially late at night when Dubai airport is at its busiest. If Gareth will be working in Media City then you won't want to live in Mirdiff. The traffic to cross the creek is horrendous, in fact, the morning traffic on the Sheikh Zayed Road is horrendous full stop!!!

The Gardens is an apartment community, one of the cheapest ones in Dubai I believe but there is a 1-2 year long waiting list because of that

Hope this helps

There is no need to cross the Creek from Mirdiff, as you can get to Media City on Al Khail Road.
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:22 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Mirdif for about 18months now and have seen a fairly substantial rise in rents. You still do get quite a bit for your money but rent's are increasing. If you want a good idea of rents look at Gulf News On-line and go to the classifieds section, in the protry section of there you will be able to get a rough idea of costs (there is always room to haggle a bit)
Amenties aren't great but are improving, you now have a Spinneys at Bin Sougat (about a ten min drive) and once the Uptown Mirdif developement opens later this year / early next then they are saying there will be a lot more amenities catered for there (supermarket / cinema).
Transport-wise you are about 20mins drive from City Centre, 25-30 mins to the Burj, 35-40 mins to Media City (like Palm Tree says you don't need to cross the Creek, it's a few miles more but time wise much quicker). You are under the flight path but it's not that bad (but I used to live near to Heathrow so am pretty used to it).
Personally I like it, it's far enough out that I feel that I'm away from the hussle and bussle but close enough that if i want to go into town it's only a 20 min drive....
HTH
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:26 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to you all for your comments, we have decided that we are going to go with our original plans of renting within Emirate Hills (The Springs or the Meadows) as this will be a lot more convenient.

Zannie x
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:28 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zannie
Thanks to you all for your comments, we have decided that we are going to go with our original plans of renting within Emirate Hills (The Springs or the Meadows) as this will be a lot more convenient.

Zannie x
Your welcome Zannie, we can be a helpful lot when we get our heads together LOL

Good luck and might see you soon
Old Jan 13th 2005, 7:33 am
A Natural Blonde

You're welcome JB!
Z