British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   midwifery (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/midwifery-543724/)

rodgrant Jun 18th 2008 5:03 pm

midwifery

Hello all,

First post so be kind. I am considering a job opportunity in AD but after reading a lot of the nightmare stories on here about housing and education it is not looking as attractive!

It may swing on the salary my wife would earn on joining me. Can anyone tell me what midwives are earning out there?

So far I estimate that for a 3 bedroom villa in AD I could be looking at £35K and for two kids (8 and 10) another £10K plus a year for schooling. Big chunk out of one pay packet!

Any advice welcome...................

cherrypie1 Jun 19th 2008 8:52 pm

Re: midwifery

I'm sorry, I can't offer you any advice on midwife pay packets but I just wanted to say that AD is a wonderful place to live. Rent and school fees are a massive chunk out of your wages, true, but with a tax free salary combined with lots of sun, probably a bigger and better house than you live in now, better schools, year round sunshine, a new car, a great social life, beach club membership, what more could you want. Our bank account certainly isn't overflowing but we have a much better lifestyle here than we ever could back in the UK. Friends and family regularly email telling us that we are doing the right thing. Everything else is cheaper here - food, clothes, taxis, cars, and of course petrol which is something stupid like 20p per litre. You just have to grab the bull by the horns (or the camel by the humps?!!) and go with the flow. Moving here was definately the right thing for us, I hope that it will be for you too.

Good luck. :thumbup:

xx

rodgrant Jun 19th 2008 10:01 pm

CP1, thank you for the advice. The more we look at it the more I think I agree with you. It would seem (surprisingly) that midwives are paid roughly the same over there as here. So time perhaps to start the nightmare of finding a 3 bed villa and schooling......................

rowell Jun 20th 2008 6:18 am

Originally Posted by rodgrant (Post 6484040)
CP1, thank you for the advice. The more we look at it the more I think I agree with you. It would seem (surprisingly) that midwives are paid roughly the same over there as here. So time perhaps to start the nightmare of finding a 3 bed villa and schooling......................

You will be lucky to find a mid wives job here for the same pay as the UK because their responsibilities are not the same eg the doctors deliver the babies not the midwives!
My friends partner here was a supervisor midwife in the UK with 15 years midwifery experience and prior to that nursing and she was offered salaries in the region of 12000 dhs for 48 hrs she now works in an office part time for a Uk company.
AD may well be different, the jobs offered here was the american hospital and 3 clinics all offered salaries about the same

TBird Jun 20th 2008 7:15 am

Just got a list of jobs needing filling at Al Yasmina (Al Raha Gardens) in Abu Dhabi not sure what salaries but hours look like they work for families with kids
Please email to [email protected], please do not send CV's to me as this will only delay review of your CV.

Please email to [email protected], please do not send CV's to me as this will only delay review of your CV.

Classroom Assistants

7:45 – 2:30

Term times

Nurse

7.30 – 3.30

Term times

Arabic Secretary

(English and Arabic language)

7:30 – 3:30

Whole year – 30 working days leave

Registrar’s Assistant

PA to the Principal

Accounts Clerk

Receptionist

7.30 – 3.30

Whole year - 30 working days leave

Senior Librarian

Term times

Assistant Librarian

Term times

Secretary to Head of Primary

Whole year – working 30 days leave

DT Technician

7.30 – 3.30

Term times

Science Technician

7.30 – 3.30

Term times

neeali Jun 20th 2008 9:02 am

Originally Posted by rodgrant (Post 6479293)
Hello all,

First post so be kind. I am considering a job opportunity in AD but after reading a lot of the nightmare stories on here about housing and education it is not looking as attractive!

It may swing on the salary my wife would earn on joining me. Can anyone tell me what midwives are earning out there?

So far I estimate that for a 3 bedroom villa in AD I could be looking at £35K and for two kids (8 and 10) another £10K plus a year for schooling. Big chunk out of one pay packet!

Any advice welcome...................

Hi, have a look at the Corniche hospital web site. Im sure it is midwife deliveries. The pay isnt brilliant but they say their beach club is fantastic.

rodgrant Jun 26th 2008 11:18 am

Lots of great advice, thank you. But are you saying that these clerical/admin jobs are on a similar salary to if she was nursing out there?