British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Which messenger software works.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/messenger-software-works-528619/)

BlackCloud Apr 11th 2008 4:36 pm

Which messenger software works..

Can anyone confirm which 'messenger' type software works on the PC here on Etisalat and to/from the UK please? (Yahoo messenger etc ?)

I want to call someone here in the UK or they call me in the UK. They have no technical knowledge so no VPN/proxy software etc. please, or special free zone unfiltered internet.

Also, can anyone give me any idea the cheapest way to call from Uk to a mobile here? Can you use Skype in the UK to call a standard mobile here? I know Skype generally doesn't work on the PC here.

Many thanks if anyone can advise.

dramaqueen Apr 11th 2008 7:03 pm

Re: Which messenger software works..

Originally Posted by BlackCloud (Post 6194470)
Can anyone confirm which 'messenger' type software works on the PC here on Etisalat and to/from the UK please? (Yahoo messenger etc ?)

I want to call someone here in the UK or they call me in the UK. They have no technical knowledge so no VPN/proxy software etc. please, or special free zone unfiltered internet.

Also, can anyone give me any idea the cheapest way to call from Uk to a mobile here? Can you use Skype in the UK to call a standard mobile here? I know Skype generally doesn't work on the PC here.

msn messenger works between dubai and uk for video calling and its free... bit of a delay with the sound so you get some feedback but it works (keep the volume down and its fine):)

Confucius Apr 11th 2008 7:22 pm

MSN and Yahoo messengers work quite well, but, only pC to PC...Not PC to phone, that's illegal here...
As to UK to here, I can't help you there...

sinderelle Apr 11th 2008 9:26 pm

and as in the UK, to run voice and webcam you have to be on Broadband not dial up :)

jrudofsky Apr 12th 2008 6:03 am

Skype works PC to PC

Chris79 Apr 12th 2008 6:08 am

Originally Posted by jrudofsky (Post 6196758)
Skype works PC to PC

Through a VPN though ?? Thats the only way I can get it to work over here

BangleMan Apr 12th 2008 6:27 am

Im in Dubai and use Du as a provider for broadband, I downloaded SKYPE and can call pc to pc for free. Get yourself a webcam, and if the person the other end has one, its also free and really closes the distance between you both

The webcam quality is very good so I can talk to family back home for hours, for free. All the premier league football games are shown here, and obviously not in UK, so every Sat, my son calls me up on SKYPE just before the game starts, and I turn the webcam around to face the TV and he watches the game via SKYPE... !:rofl:

You can also add credit to your SKYPE account to allow you to call a landline or mobile in UK or wherever you are calling to

I put £10 on there and if calling a landline, its something like £0.02 per min, so you can talk for an hour or so and its barely made a dent on your credit, calling mobiles that way is a little more expensive, and is something like £0.21 per min

MSN messenger works too, but quality isnt as good as SKYPE, in my opinion

Hope you get something sorted..

jrudofsky Apr 12th 2008 7:04 am

Yep Skype works with Du at the moment! Fingers crossed!! The reason they try to control it is mainly to stop businesses using VOIP rather than individuals....and specifically to landlines/mobiles.

Inselaffen Apr 12th 2008 3:36 pm

Skype works fine PC to PC even in etisalat areas.
Skype to phone also works but normally only through a VPN

Chris79 Apr 12th 2008 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6198597)
Skype works fine PC to PC even in etisalat areas.
Skype to phone also works but normally only through a VPN

Cheers bud, might have to invest in one. The clarity through msn isn't fantastic, Skype should be better :thumbup:

admon Apr 12th 2008 3:52 pm

Google VPN tunnel.
As a tip, if you get a UK based one, you can then download programs from Channel 4, via their Channel 4 OD website. A lot of Channel 4 programs were free downloads for streaming, although that may have changed now.

Cry haddock Apr 13th 2008 7:27 am

Originally Posted by admon (Post 6198667)
Google VPN tunnel.
As a tip, if you get a UK based one, you can then download programs from Channel 4, via their Channel 4 OD website. A lot of Channel 4 programs were free downloads for streaming, although that may have changed now.

Just a note on Skype Pc to Landline & mobile - their pricing model takes no account of where you are calling from, just where you are calling to. Calls to UAE numbers are much more expensive than calls to UK numbers.

Inselaffen Apr 13th 2008 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Cry haddock (Post 6200673)
Just a note on Skype Pc to Landline & mobile - their pricing model takes no account of where you are calling from, just where you are calling to. Calls to UAE numbers are much more expensive than calls to UK numbers.

I only ever use Skype to landline when calling UK.

Chris79 Apr 13th 2008 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6200684)
I only ever use Skype to landline when calling UK.

Can you buy the Skype stuff in the UAE or am I best sorting it all out from the UK. Some mates are coming out next month, I can get them to bring me the bumf out.

Inselaffen Apr 13th 2008 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6200687)
Can you buy the Skype stuff in the UAE or am I best sorting it all out from the UK. Some mates are coming out next month, I can get them to bring me the bumf out.

skype is free. its only calling credit for landlines you have to pay for.
you can even pay an annual subscription to get a UK landline number so people in the uk can call you from landlines at UK rates. I do that so my parents don't ring up a huge bill calling me.

one problem is that unless you have a VPN you can't actually access the Skype website to download the software or buy credit.

will PM you.