Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Mental Health of Expats in the ME

Old Mar 21st 2016, 11:42 am
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health of Expats in the ME

I found the most stressful part of being in the UAE was the fear of ending up trapped through some kind of visa issue, or arbitrarily imprisoned - because I saw it happen to people I knew.

I was lucky I got out with enough money to buy a house and with my freedom and wife and both kids. My brother went back to cancel his residence visa, then once there they tried to shake him down for thousands, what they said was a week process ended up over a month. They'd take his passport and emirates ID so when his hotel booking of a week finished, and they had no availability he couldn't get another hotel. Ended up a friend's sofa for the rest of the time. They the concocted some further hassle over my passport having just 2 months left (yes, my passport, not his) and i had to fly from portugal to UK the week after to renew it. At times it really seemed like he was going to be trapped there forever.

Happily back in the free world (Portugal), and while I had some good times there and made a good amount of money, I sleep far better now and would never want to risk going back even for a stopover. Feel far happier with my kids growing up here, and not dicing with death every time I get in the car is a bonus.

Not to say I would advise people against going, i made good money and set myself up. But it was different when it was only me and the mrs to worry about, once I had kids it was a different matter.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Maybe you prefer Polish shops to Indian ones?
I like both but it's what happens at the back of the shop and beyond that makes the difference. Indians I have no issue with, nor Eastern Europeans, but I do believe that Pakistani and Bangladeshi immigration to Britain has been detrimental, for sure. In 1940 the Poles and Czechs flew with the RAF. In 2016 a 20-something British Muslim is more likely to fly Turkish Airlines and join ISIS. Ironically it is many of us on this forum, which would never run the risk of being called a left wing think tank, who bear some of the blame. We help keep the oil pumping, which keeps Wahhabism funded and thriving and the madrassas in Burnley open. It's all a game.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

You should read the next few sentences after the one you selected.

Shirley in Southampton has always been a shitpit. Maybe you prefer Polish shops to Indian ones?
Not knocking you mate.. I can see how that looks out of context.

Shirley looks a lot better now than the immigrants outnumber the benefit generators, yeah.. it's a still a toilet.. now with nice curtains and a knitted loo roll cover. Southampton's as close to the Island as you can get and still have a steady job though.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 12:55 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Just caught up and I don't think we're really arguing.

You can chose to be sheltered in the UAE but you don't have to be unaware of the realities. Sadly I've come across too many expats who seem incapable of leaving The Marina or The Springs and find Satwa and the like "scary". The same ones also seem to believe that having a British passport means the law doesn't really affect you here. All deluded and I expect a few will get a nasty wake up call one day.

I was a tad perturbed by a poster earlier referring to being served in coffee shops in the UK by "normal people" which probably says much more about them than anything else. In the UAE you are far more exposed to the differences in lifestyles and income that are commonly seen outside Europe. Those of us born in the West (ideologically speaking) hit the jackpot at birth with access to healthcare, education and opportunities and we should be damn grateful and at least acknowledge that the majority of the world is worse off. (That really does explain why many want to move to the UK.)

You can spend your day in the ME ignoring the imbalances, wringing your hands, or at least making a bit of effort to help out those who are not so well off in life and who will never get a 10th of the opportunities. You can't beat yourself up over it or you would go mad (see, I am on the same topic) but ignoring it all, or treating others as "not normal", or as if being treated like an indentured servant is okay is just wrong.

It shouldn't be that hard. This isn't the UK so don't expect it to be like Milton Keynes in the desert, know the law, be sensible, don't believe the hype and don't be an arse. On the days when you end up dealing with idiots and morons, take refuge in booze/chocolate/your savings and if it makes you unhappy make plans to leave.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 1:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow

You can chose to be sheltered in the UAE but you don't have to be unaware of the realities. Sadly I've come across too many expats who seem incapable of leaving The Marina or The Springs and find Satwa and the like "scary". The same ones also seem to believe that having a British passport means the law doesn't really affect you here. All deluded and I expect a few will get a nasty wake up call one day.

I was a tad perturbed by a poster earlier referring to being served in coffee shops in the UK by "normal people" which probably says much more about them than anything else. In the UAE you are far more exposed to the differences in lifestyles and income that are commonly seen outside Europe. Those of us born in the West (ideologically speaking) hit the jackpot at birth with access to healthcare, education and opportunities and we should be damn grateful and at least acknowledge that the majority of the world is worse off. (That really does explain why many want to move to the UK.)

You can spend your day in the ME ignoring the imbalances, wringing your hands, or at least making a bit of effort to help out those who are not so well off in life and who will never get a 10th of the opportunities. You can't beat yourself up over it or you would go mad (see, I am on the same topic) but ignoring it all, or treating others as "not normal", or as if being treated like an indentured servant is okay is just wrong.

It shouldn't be that hard. This isn't the UK so don't expect it to be like Milton Keynes in the desert, know the law, be sensible, don't believe the hype and don't be an arse. On the days when you end up dealing with idiots and morons, take refuge in booze/chocolate/your savings and if it makes you unhappy make plans to leave.
Agreed.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kakawax
Very insightful, and I guess for many that is the attraction whether it is perceived or not.. an illusion of a better class of living, not because one is particularly better off, but that others are significantly and visibly worse off.
You could argue that that even extends - to an extent - down to the Indian labourers and Bangla cleaners. God knows what grim existence they left behind at home to come to the Sand Pit under their working conditions.

Regardless of what job you look at, the whole place functions because folk make more cash in the ME than they would at home, at least the ones here by choice rather than for want of an exit visa, to bring the thread back to the OP's original post.
Old Mar 21st 2016, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Mar 21st 2016, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I like the choice of cities: London, NYC... Birmingham
lol have lived in all three and they each have their own good and bad points...
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 4:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Kakawax
Not knocking you mate.. I can see how that looks out of context.

Shirley looks a lot better now than the immigrants outnumber the benefit generators, yeah.. it's a still a toilet.. now with nice curtains and a knitted loo roll cover. Southampton's as close to the Island as you can get and still have a steady job though.
A lot of Southampton is pretty shite to be honest. There's really nice city centre suburbs that are now student areas and therefore quite crap.

Southampton I guess is one of the bigger cities that any immigrant will come across that has potentially good opportunities. It's weird how much it's changed so quickly though. St Anne's is/was a Catholic school and my step-sisters went there in the later 90's to early 2000's. They were taught by Nuns and it was an actual Catholic school.

My Mrs and her friend did their Post-Grad in Southampton and both taught for short periods on placement at St Annes. It's now majority non-English as a first language school. Kids from all over, whether India / Pakistan or Eastern Europe etc etc etc. Unbelievably quick change.

What I would suggest though, is that everyone watches a show on Sky Atlantic called The British. We've been, grown up and developed as a mongrel island of different nationalities and influences so this is really nothing new.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:38 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

What I would suggest though, is that everyone watches a show on Sky Atlantic called The British. We've been, grown up and developed as a mongrel island of different nationalities and influences so this is really nothing new.
I haven't see this programme but I do know a little about the history and formation of the English language as I am a huge fan of David Crystal, a well known professor of linguistics.

Until around 750-800 the main language in the UK was a variation of Celtic, then the Angles and Jutes arrived and introduced Northern European words which in turn was built on my the Saxons and the Normans although interestingly (well, for word geeks like me) very few words from the Vikings. The British/Vulgar Latin used by the Romans was almost fully displaced.

The English language is an amalgamation of many other languages although we can thank William Shakespeare for introducing thousands of words and phrases, many of which we use to this day.

I'm digressing but it's a favourite subject.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 7:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I haven't see this programme but I do know a little about the history and formation of the English language as I am a huge fan of David Crystal, a well known professor of linguistics.

Until around 750-800 the main language in the UK was a variation of Celtic, then the Angles and Jutes arrived and introduced Northern European words which in turn was built on my the Saxons and the Normans although interestingly (well, for word geeks like me) very few words from the Vikings. The British/Vulgar Latin used by the Romans was almost fully displaced.

The English language is an amalgamation of many other languages although we can thank William Shakespeare for introducing thousands of words and phrases, many of which we use to this day.

I'm digressing but it's a favourite subject.
Shakespeare has something like 1700 words/phrases that are commonly used today. Example I can remember, which the programme used, is 'to catch a cold'.

The show is well made and zips through major events and focuses on individuals and certain leaps in tech / mentality / attitudes etc.

It really is worth a watch. What blew my mind is the first episode goes through the Romans and their two storey, heated, plumbed and organised houses. Second episode is the Norman invasion and the hundreds of years after and everyone is in mud huts growing turnips. It's like the majority just got lost and went back in time.

The latest episode (5th) is around the industrial revolution and Victorian advancements. It's truly impressive - the invention of usable rubber for example. It doesn't shy away too much from the empire and imperial domination and the negatives from it either. Although it does gloss over how we went about landing in Aus / Malaysia / India etc. Got some cracking input from 'stars' and professors too.

I'm with you though, English Language was my favourite at GCSE and A-Level.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 8:20 am
Bored liberal

I'll ask himself to download the programme as it sounds right up my street. He can also drop box you some David Crystal books if you fancy them? Many are weighty academic tomes but there are plenty of witty and entertaining ones.

Last edited by Meow; Mar 22nd 2016 at 8:24 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 8:24 am
Account Closed

I'll ask himself to download the programme as it sounds right up my street. He can also drop box you some David Crystal books if you fancy them? Many are weight academic tomes but there are plenty of witty and entertaining ones.
It's worth a watch for a very quick pass over then entire history, but some of the individual bits are really interesting.

Sounds good to me, thanks!
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 8:48 am
Forum Regular

Kakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of lightKakawax is a glorious beacon of light

A lot of Southampton is pretty shite to be honest.
Subjective though... shite compared to what? Other UK cities? I'd have to disagree.

I've never seen any major trouble, or the dereliction and poverty apparent in cities anywhere north of Warwick, and though Southampton may be a little souless in the centre, there's plenty to do and see.. it has the coast and New Forest within a short drive.. and of course one of the best football teams in the EPL
Old Mar 22nd 2016, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

David Crystal
The story of English in 100 words is a superb book, if like me you enjoy the etymology. So much of English history is tied up in its language.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.