Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Meeting people in KSA

Meeting people in KSA

Old May 12th 2013, 5:44 pm
Just Joined

pob357 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meeting people in KSA

Hi. Been in the kingdom for just 2 weeks now and wondering what/where is the best place to meet people?

Living in temp accomodation in khobar and social life is pretty poor!
Old May 12th 2013, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

DM1966 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Meeting people in KSA

Hi pob,

If you're not on a compound you're going to struggle. Where are you temporarily and where do you plan to be?

What sort of social activities are you looking for?

Many of the people that I now know in Khobar I met in Bahrain at the weekend and they have subsequently introduced me to other expats in Khobar. Do you have a multiple/entry exit visa?

Last edited by DM1966; May 12th 2013 at 6:40 pm. Reason: Mistake
Old May 12th 2013, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of community life is focussed on ARAMCO camp in Dhahran. You have to be signed in by a resident. Get networking !

My entry was that I went to AA Meetings there ! Others go to church meetings which are held there on Fridays.

Others visit for more nefarious purposes !

Last edited by scot47; May 12th 2013 at 9:03 pm.
Old May 13th 2013, 3:30 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pob357
Hi. Been in the kingdom for just 2 weeks now and wondering what/where is the best place to meet people?

Living in temp accomodation in khobar and social life is pretty poor!
Take a weekend R&R to Bahrain.
Old May 16th 2013, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Round-Bum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
Take a weekend R&R to Bahrain.
What he said.

I'm sure there are better compounds than the one I'm on, but I've been here six months and not really found a social life. Bahrain is do-able every weekend if you want to, and other places are only a short flight (Dubai, Doha, etc).
Old May 16th 2013, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

KSA is for making money, not spending it !
Old May 18th 2013, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Backinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant futureBackinthesand has a brilliant future

2 weeks is an incredibly short time in KSA, with no social hangouts you sometimes need a "chance" meeting with someone to get an invite somewhere, it soon snowballs. My first 3 months in Khobar were hell and I considered chucking it in. That was 12 years ago and hey ho here I am BackInTheSand, albeit living in Bahrain this time around.

There are things to do in Khobar you just have to find someone to show you the lie of the land.

Good luck
Old May 18th 2013, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Round-Bum is an unknown quantity at this point

I had made the above post and, later that evening, was on S*ype to my daughter. She happened to mention at work that I was heading to Bahrain for a break, and her supervisor said she had a sister teaching there. By the end of it, I had my name down on the entry list for a party at the British Embassy!

I was unable to attend, thanks to an overly-helpful driver and a dodgy hotel, but numbers have been exchanged so, after 6 months, I may actually start to hear when things are happening in this part of the world

Originally Posted by Backinthesand
...you sometimes need a "chance" meeting with someone to get an invite somewhere...
So very true