Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Medical Tests for Obtaining a Residence Permit/Visa

Medical Tests for Obtaining a Residence Permit/Visa

Old Apr 1st 2008, 12:25 am
Just Joined

bigtima9o.co0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Tests for Obtaining a Residence Permit/Visa

I heard that there are several tests that need to be done prior to obtaining a residence permit/visa in the UAE. What sort of tests are these and what do they look for? I would greatly appreciate help from expats who have recently located within the last 6 months to 1 year because I am not sure if the standards are the same.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 2:21 am
Banned

Old Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to beholdOld Lob is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Medical Tests for Obtaining a Residence Permit/Visa

The purpose of the tests is to establish that you will not bring any disease into UAE and secondly are actually healthy. The tests are wide ranging and applied equally to Cleaners from Bangladesh to the Professor of Medecine from USA which is reasonable.

You test for aids, other STD and two types of hepatitis. You will also test for other blood infections and possibly malaria. You will need to self certify your health and you will provide an attested 'clear' chest x-ray and need a 'general medical certificate' which is a letter from a doctor saying you are fit to work. Your children will need a prescribed range of vaccinations which s doubtless what they have if they have been brought up in the west.

In Oman and Kuwait at least you will endure a repetition of some of the tests - partly for govt records such as blood tests and partly becuse 'they' need better assurance on tests than is provided by some countries - remember everyone is treated the same.

Without being funny you probably need two arms and two legs that work.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigtima9o.co0
I heard that there are several tests that need to be done prior to obtaining a residence permit/visa in the UAE. What sort of tests are these and what do they look for? I would greatly appreciate help from expats who have recently located within the last 6 months to 1 year because I am not sure if the standards are the same.
I came over to AD in Nov 07 and all I had to do was a chest X Ray and give a blood sample. Was very easy and nothing to worry about.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris79
I came over to AD in Nov 07 and all I had to do was a chest X Ray and give a blood sample. Was very easy and nothing to worry about.
i only had a blood test, and the kids didn't have to have anything...

MM, xx
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:00 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
i only had a blood test, and the kids didn't have to have anything...

MM, xx
same with me, although lookinatdubai had an x-ray, but I think you do if you're over 40.

thats why MM never got one
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

In Dubai UAE recently, blood test and chest X-Ray - all very efficient.

Same in Qatar about 10 years back - a bit less efficient.

For Bahrain residency 5 years ago - no health check required.

This is as far as the Government is concerned. Obviously your employer may also have certain health requirements.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Chris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond reputeChris79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
same with me, although lookinatdubai had an x-ray, but I think you do if you're over 40.

thats why MM never got one
I'm not over 40! Even though I feel like it sometimes!
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Not all over 40's have chest x-rays either. The blood test is the only given and the x-ray seems a bit random.

Anyway, to the original poster, it is really nothing to worry about, very quick and simple. And you can get it done in double quick time by paying a bit extra and going to a private hospital such as the one behind Union Co-op.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

I ponly had a blood sample taken - so all in all, just a little "prick" and 10 mins of my time.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:53 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bigtima9o.co0
If you are nervous about having possibly caught something unpleasant, take a blood test in your own country before travelling.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:05 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
I ponly had a blood sample taken - so all in all, just a little "prick" and 10 mins of my time.

interesting ...
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:25 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like a night out with confucious
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

The X-ray seems to depend on where you go for your test. I did my first in Deira and no X-ray was required. had my second one in Jebel Ali and there I had to have the X-Ray.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
sounds like a night out with confucious
...err, do enlighten us on the basis of this statement.....
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:16 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

...err, do enlighten us on the basis of this statement.....
Use your imagination!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.