British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Medical Tests for Obtaining a Residence Permit/Visa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/medical-tests-obtaining-residence-permit-visa-525925/)

bigtima9o.co0 Apr 1st 2008 12:25 am

Medical Tests for Obtaining a Residence Permit/Visa

I heard that there are several tests that need to be done prior to obtaining a residence permit/visa in the UAE. What sort of tests are these and what do they look for? I would greatly appreciate help from expats who have recently located within the last 6 months to 1 year because I am not sure if the standards are the same.

Old Lob Apr 1st 2008 2:21 am

Re: Medical Tests for Obtaining a Residence Permit/Visa

The purpose of the tests is to establish that you will not bring any disease into UAE and secondly are actually healthy. The tests are wide ranging and applied equally to Cleaners from Bangladesh to the Professor of Medecine from USA which is reasonable.

You test for aids, other STD and two types of hepatitis. You will also test for other blood infections and possibly malaria. You will need to self certify your health and you will provide an attested 'clear' chest x-ray and need a 'general medical certificate' which is a letter from a doctor saying you are fit to work. Your children will need a prescribed range of vaccinations which s doubtless what they have if they have been brought up in the west.

In Oman and Kuwait at least you will endure a repetition of some of the tests - partly for govt records such as blood tests and partly becuse 'they' need better assurance on tests than is provided by some countries - remember everyone is treated the same.

Without being funny you probably need two arms and two legs that work.

Chris79 Apr 1st 2008 3:48 am

Originally Posted by bigtima9o.co0 (Post 6139876)
I heard that there are several tests that need to be done prior to obtaining a residence permit/visa in the UAE. What sort of tests are these and what do they look for? I would greatly appreciate help from expats who have recently located within the last 6 months to 1 year because I am not sure if the standards are the same.

I came over to AD in Nov 07 and all I had to do was a chest X Ray and give a blood sample. Was very easy and nothing to worry about. :thumbup:

Madam Medusa Apr 1st 2008 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 6140394)
I came over to AD in Nov 07 and all I had to do was a chest X Ray and give a blood sample. Was very easy and nothing to worry about. :thumbup:

i only had a blood test, and the kids didn't have to have anything...

MM, xx

Spugsy Apr 1st 2008 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 6140494)
i only had a blood test, and the kids didn't have to have anything...

MM, xx

same with me, although lookinatdubai had an x-ray, but I think you do if you're over 40.

thats why MM never got one :)

Bonny Boy Apr 1st 2008 5:04 am

In Dubai UAE recently, blood test and chest X-Ray - all very efficient.

Same in Qatar about 10 years back - a bit less efficient.

For Bahrain residency 5 years ago - no health check required.

This is as far as the Government is concerned. Obviously your employer may also have certain health requirements.

Chris79 Apr 1st 2008 5:14 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6140534)
same with me, although lookinatdubai had an x-ray, but I think you do if you're over 40.

thats why MM never got one :)

I'm not over 40! :p Even though I feel like it sometimes! :D

Meow Apr 1st 2008 5:49 am

Not all over 40's have chest x-rays either. The blood test is the only given and the x-ray seems a bit random.

Anyway, to the original poster, it is really nothing to worry about, very quick and simple. :) And you can get it done in double quick time by paying a bit extra and going to a private hospital such as the one behind Union Co-op.

weescot Apr 1st 2008 5:52 am

I ponly had a blood sample taken - so all in all, just a little "prick" and 10 mins of my time.

lionheart Apr 1st 2008 5:53 am

Originally Posted by bigtima9o.co0 (Post 6139876)

If you are nervous about having possibly caught something unpleasant, take a blood test in your own country before travelling.

Blue Cat Apr 1st 2008 6:05 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 6140628)
I ponly had a blood sample taken - so all in all, just a little "prick" and 10 mins of my time.

interesting ...

Spugsy Apr 1st 2008 6:25 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 6140628)

sounds like a night out with confucious

Inselaffen Apr 1st 2008 6:32 am

The X-ray seems to depend on where you go for your test. I did my first in Deira and no X-ray was required. had my second one in Jebel Ali and there I had to have the X-Ray.

weescot Apr 1st 2008 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 6140702)
sounds like a night out with confucious

...err, do enlighten us on the basis of this statement.....

lionheart Apr 1st 2008 7:16 am

Originally Posted by weescot (Post 6140735)
...err, do enlighten us on the basis of this statement.....

Use your imagination!