British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   medical system UAE (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/medical-system-uae-553820/)

n1na Aug 7th 2008 2:32 pm

medical system UAE

May be a stupid quiestion: what is the procedure in AD when someone needs a medical help. Here, in UK, it is clear-go to GP (if you can) or straight to A&E. What to do in AD if for exmpl my child gets sick, where to run:confused:..Thanks

Blue Cat Aug 7th 2008 3:29 pm

Re: medical system UAE

you should get private insurance from your employer, this will come with a provider booklet, a list of clinics and hospitals that you can use. We do have GP's here as well, based in various different clinics around town.

shiva Aug 7th 2008 6:04 pm

As a resident you are also entitled to use any and all govt run facilities either free or for a nominal charge ie 50dhs.
Most of these operate (pardon the pun) at a pretty decent level, western expats seldom use them out of choice but in Dubai for example if your really in trouble all the private hospitals will send you to a govt one, cant remember which though

The big difference over the NHS is that you can see a gp either that day or the next and a doc in hospital also within days. no waiting 6 months for a consult

busybee2 Aug 7th 2008 9:25 pm

in ad you still need health insurance to go into any of the hospitals, most people will use al noor or gdc or even new medical centre, but it depends on health insurance, you should get a list of approved places you can go to, and the amount that you would need to spend, sometimes they are direct billed or in most cases you pay the first 50dhs or something. in an emergency you can use SKMC (Sheikh Khalifa Hosp) but they can turn you away if they deem emergency can be 'accessed' at a private hospital for expats.

Chris79 Aug 8th 2008 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 6656706)
in ad you still need health insurance to go into any of the hospitals, most people will use al noor or gdc or even new medical centre, but it depends on health insurance, you should get a list of approved places you can go to, and the amount that you would need to spend, sometimes they are direct billed or in most cases you pay the first 50dhs or something. in an emergency you can use SKMC (Sheikh Khalifa Hosp) but they can turn you away if they deem emergency can be 'accessed' at a private hospital for expats.

I have been to 2 hospitals over here. Both times I have had no medical cards on me. I paid cash and was seen quickly and the service I got was far better than the UK.
Sorry to say it but over here it seems to depend what colour you are and if you have money in your wallet!

busybee2 Aug 8th 2008 10:43 pm

yes that applies to private hospitals definately, but not always government ones, especially SKMC!

n1na Sep 19th 2008 5:31 pm

Sorry, if for exmpl Al Noor hospital is not on a list of my insurance provider, can I still come in A+E, or I will need to pay for a visit? Thanks

deemi786 Sep 19th 2008 5:49 pm

Well i had a very positive experience,

The company i work for provide private health insurance , SAICO card. A few weeks ago my son started to breath heavily (has had athsma difficulties in the past) we rushed him to Emirates Hospital, he was seen literally straight away, given a nebuliser and was admitted, the hospital rooms were unbelievably well equipped and we were treated fantastically well by the staff. LCD TV and proper food, not the NHS gunk you get in the UK. The Dr's were all very well spoken and i even heard the Paed DR say he wasnt going to leave until my son had stabilized. I really cant praise them enough!

I am so happy that healthcare in the UAE has been brilliant so far, the hospitals even text you to say your blood results are fine when you have a test or something, all in all an excellent experience.

Personally if you get a hospital that discriminates you because of the colour of your skin its most prob not the sort of hospital you want to be in. Im from the UK but am of Pakistani origin and i had no issues what so ever.

busybee2 Sep 19th 2008 6:05 pm

al noor is a private hospital and you will have to pay its only the government hospital which are cheaper etc. you can go to skmc in a real emergency, but its a 'locals' hospital only and they will ask for your insurance card, as you will have to pay, but in some instances they will send you away to another hospital if the 'emergency' is not deemed an 'emergency' anyways, so its best to know which hospitals you are allowed to go to and then when an emergency arises which one is the closest.

str Sep 19th 2008 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by deemi786 (Post 6800963)
Well i had a very positive experience,

(...)

I am so happy that healthcare in the UAE has been brilliant so far, the hospitals even text you to say your blood results are fine when you have a test or something, all in all an excellent experience.

Good that you had a positive experience. I haven't.
I woke up one morning with terrible pains in my shoulder which I never had before. I took the YP and found a private clinic by a doc with very scottish name in AD. I got an appointment at 11am or so but had to wait for one and a half hour until an arabic doc came in from her yoga lessons or whatever. Within 30 seconds she referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon. I saw this guy the same afternoon and he tried to sell me everything he could find in his store room, recommended me physio therapy (inhouse of course) for at least 4 weeks and subscribed me drugs I never touched when I read about the side effect (google for Arcoxia side effects and you know why!).
After that I decided to go rather to the airport than to one of these slaughters the next time. But by know I would maybe consider the hospital you mendtioned... ;)

busybee2 Sep 20th 2008 4:58 am

if you need a orth. surgeon you are best going to al noor hospital and using there's, we used to use the french one there, but sadly he died last year, so we have had to use an arabic one, who was very good and he only charged his consultation fee the once (not on return visits) but because my husband had done his knee in we had to go for an MRI scan which showed that he had torn the ligaments in his knee cap etc (this is all covered by medical insurance), i am always weary of docs selling me this this and this, been here a long time and yes the majority of docs in dxb or ad do this, but you will soon realise in time, which doc and hospital you can go for each 'different problem'. Unfortunately private hospitals have to make money!

alexalexa Sep 20th 2008 10:31 am

My husband and I have the international plan of the State health insurance, I forgot the name of it... Do you think that is bad? Will we have bad medical care?

busybee2 Sep 20th 2008 1:12 pm

do you mean Daman?

alexalexa Sep 20th 2008 1:41 pm

yes daman, international plan. is that bad?

busybee2 Sep 20th 2008 2:16 pm

no think its ok, but a lot of plans will have exclusions etc they are much the same.