British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Medical report needed pre move to Oman from UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/medical-report-needed-pre-move-oman-uk-921033/)

ompan Jan 14th 2019 4:11 pm

Medical report needed pre move to Oman from UK?

Dear all - I have a job offer in Oman and I am looking to move to Muscat, my future employer has said I will need to do an extensive medical done in UK before they can apply for my work visa / work permit. Has anyone else been through this before going from UK and what were the requirements? I though British citizens won't need it but they are insistent. Recommendations on any places in London which can do this will be helpful.

TGFKASE Jan 14th 2019 4:32 pm

Re: Medical report needed pre move to Oman from UK?

Originally Posted by ompan (Post 12621353)
Dear all - I have a job offer in Oman and I am looking to move to Muscat, my future employer has said I will need to do an extensive medical done in UK before they can apply for my work visa / work permit. Has anyone else been through this before going from UK and what were the requirements? I though British citizens won't need it but they are insistent. Recommendations on any places in London which can do this will be helpful.

If they require it, I would be asking THEM where I need to go to have it done. Id expect them to also pick up the tab for it....

ompan Jan 14th 2019 4:36 pm

Cost is not an issue they will pay, but they have no clue where to, they just asked me to find a doctor who can do it.

I was hoping someone on this forum who has moved from UK to Oman might be able to give more info on what actually is needed, if anything...

gottheTshirt Jan 14th 2019 6:46 pm

Generally wherever you are going to work your employer will ask you for a medical and will send you a form to complete. usually this can be done by your GP.
For visa applications most GCC and ME countries require that you have a medical in country after arrival. It is some years sinbce i worked in Oman but I am sure I went on a visit visa and then applied for a work visa and had a medical in country.

London doctors clinic link below offer medicals for oman -I suggest you speak to them, but your employer should be giving you more advice on the visa process.

londondoctorsclinic.co.uk/services/immigration-visa-medicals/oman-visa-medic

gottheTshirt Jan 14th 2019 6:51 pm

What does the medical exam include?
  • Physical exam
  • Blood tests
    • HIV
    • Syphilis
    • Hepatitis B & C
    • Urinalysis
  • Stool Sample
  • Chest x-ray
  • Certificate
This is standard for GCC countries

ompan Jan 14th 2019 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 12621454)
  • Physical exam
  • Blood tests
    • HIV
    • Syphilis
    • Hepatitis B & C
    • Urinalysis
  • Stool Sample
  • Chest x-ray
  • Certificate

Thank you so much this is quite helpful, I'll try the link you shared, sounds like pre departure medical is a formality they want will be tested in country anyways.

reddiva Jan 15th 2019 4:19 am

Originally Posted by ompan (Post 12621374)
Cost is not an issue they will pay, but they have no clue where to, they just asked me to find a doctor who can do it.

I was hoping someone on this forum who has moved from UK to Oman might be able to give more info on what actually is needed, if anything...

The company should tell you what you need to get done
The medical we have for visa purposes only covers HEP B and HIV. In 12 years i have never had a chest X ray although some do for Typhoid. I have oil and gas clients who do their own government medical and they test blood, urine, hearing and sight

UKCityGent Jan 15th 2019 4:23 am

Originally Posted by gottheTshirt (Post 12621454)
  • Physical exam
  • Blood tests
    • HIV
    • Syphilis
    • Hepatitis B & C
    • Urinalysis
  • Stool Sample
  • Chest x-ray
  • Certificate

I remember when going for the medical that the Kuwait asked for elephantiasis test - i would have had to go to the Tropical Diseases hospital to get the test - i never bothered and no one asked me again

Taz786 Jan 15th 2019 10:51 am

When I initially moved to the Middle East, the company asked me to visit the following and they covered all the expenses. Your Excellent Health Service
TEL: +44 (0)20 7580 5467
DDI: +44 (0)20 7291 0983
FAX: +44 (0)20 7637 2390
[email protected]
www.yourexcellenthealth.co.uk
SAY "YEHS" TO EXCELLENT HEALTH
No 1 Harley Street
London
W1G 9QD

gottheTshirt Jan 15th 2019 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by reddiva (Post 12621659)
The company should tell you what you need to get done
The medical we have for visa purposes only covers HEP B and HIV. In 12 years i have never had a chest X ray although some do for Typhoid. I have oil and gas clients who do their own government medical and they test blood, urine, hearing and sight

I have lost count of the number of chest X rays I have had over the past 45 years for visa purposes. certainly in Libya, KSA, Qatar. Maybe there has been a relaxation over recent years ?

ompan Jan 15th 2019 7:49 pm

Thank you all, so it seems they want me to do a medical pre-visa to make sure there are no surprises once I do the official one once there. I contacted London doctors clinic and they do it, will go through them and turn around should be max 5 days from first appointment to final report which seems quite decent, £350 all in which should be reimbursed anyways. Fingers crossed for move to Oman!

Queef Latinah Jan 16th 2019 9:49 am

Originally Posted by ompan (Post 12622112)
Thank you all, so it seems they want me to do a medical pre-visa to make sure there are no surprises once I do the official one once there. I contacted London doctors clinic and they do it, will go through them and turn around should be max 5 days from first appointment to final report which seems quite decent, £350 all in which should be reimbursed anyways. Fingers crossed for move to Oman!

Looks like you're pretty much sorted / have the right idea- when I moved to Oman a few years ago, I did not need a medical until I arrived in Oman (I only had one after I had arrived). Looks like it is just your employer who is asking you to have one "just in case". Perhaps it's an age thing, since I was in my 20s at the time.

Good luck and enjoy Oman! Beautiful place for well adjusted humans that have families and/or are not depraved. Hence why I exited ASAP.