Reload this Page >

Medical Check for Work in Kuwait

Medical Check for Work in Kuwait

Old Jul 16th 2014, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Maymona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Check for Work in Kuwait

Hi everyone,

I've got a job offer in a Kuwait university and I'm currently going through the visa process. I've been asked to provide a general medical report by my GP to show that I'm fit to work. This includes tests for HIV, TB, Hep B, Hep C, Filarsis, Malaria, Syphillis. My GP said they don't do these tests routinely and I'd have to do them privately which will cost a whooping £560!!

Any ideas where I can get these tests done without breaking my bank balance? Like a travel package or something of the sort?

Thanks,
May
Old Jul 16th 2014, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Check for Work in Kuwait

You could go to a sex clinic and get tested for the HIV, Syphillis and possibly the hep b & c.

Dont bother to do the elephantis - i never did it and nothing was mentioned.

I went to a quacks in harley street and it was all done in an afternoon but it did cost around the GBP 600 mark.

Can you not claim the money back ?

Welcome to the State of Kuwait
Old Jul 16th 2014, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
You could go to a sex clinic and get tested for the HIV, Syphillis and possibly the hep b & c.

Dont bother to do the elephantis - i never did it and nothing was mentioned.

I went to a quacks in harley street and it was all done in an afternoon but it did cost around the GBP 600 mark.
£600!! That's alot
I'm going to call a sexual health clinic tomorrow and see if it's any cheaper. But the thing is, would they do it as part of a medical check for work, or only if someone is concerned that they've contracted an infection?

Can you not claim the money back ?
Yes I can claim the money back but I feel awful spending almost £500 on blood tests!

Welcome to the State of Kuwait
Thanks. Are you based in Kuwait? Do you have any tips with regards to finding affordable accommodation?
Old Jul 18th 2014, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

One of my friends did the tests at the clinic - it was free from memory.

If you can claim the money back why go thru the hassle of arranging appointments etc when one appointment covers it all.

I'm based in Kuwait - in sunny salmiya.

I thought the University would provide accommodation - however if they dont then you could be looking at 400KWD to 500 KWD per month depending on the area you want, furnished or not, seaview or not etc - all depends on your budget.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

I thought the University would provide accommodation - however if they dont then you could be looking at 400KWD to 500 KWD per month depending on the area you want, furnished or not, seaview or not etc - all depends on your budget.
Thanks for your help. The university doesn't provide accommodation - they pay for it separately within the package. Is 400KD for one-bedroom? I only need one bedroom or two maximum. Do you recommend any online websites to hunt for a flat?

On another note, I've contacted a few travel clinic and they said they don't do blood tests for Malaria - they just give tablets as a preventative measure. Does a Malaria blood test actually exist here?
Old Jul 29th 2014, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

My GP says the employer/embassy should provide a 'health check form' that needs to be filled in when carrying out the medical check. Is this supplied by the embassy or the university? I didn't find any info on their website!

*EDIT: This is not for the blood tests per se. It's for the 'fit to work' medical check.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

My GP just wrote a letter saying i was fit and healthy (and had to pay GBP25 for it)

Dont you agencies for looking for an apartment - they are the biggest waste of spaces. I dont know which Uni so 400KWD may or may not be enough..
Old Jul 30th 2014, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

My GP is clueless! What should I tell her to examine, since there is no form to fill in?
Old Jul 31st 2014, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maymona
My GP is clueless! What should I tell her to examine, since there is no form to fill in?
Just tell them to write that she has known you for x years and after performing a full medical checkup there are no issues identified and you are fit, healthy and able for employment.

My quack did not even take my temperature - just told me to stop smoking about 20 years ago (however i have outlived him !!)
Old Aug 1st 2014, 12:06 am
Just Joined

badeface is an unknown quantity at this point

99% of the time the employer pays for it. You must ask.