Reload this Page >

Meadows/Lakes vs Jumeriah/Umm Sequim

Meadows/Lakes vs Jumeriah/Umm Sequim

Old May 5th 2009, 5:31 pm
Just Joined

KiwiJoJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Meadows/Lakes vs Jumeriah/Umm Sequim

Hello Everyone,

We are heading out to live in June with hubby's job. We have a apartment in the marina for our temporary accommodation. We were out earlier in the year looking around at the different areas to live.

I liked the idea of Meadows/Lakes as we have 2 small boys and thought this was more community friendly and would be easier to meet friends etc at the communal pools/parks and community centre. Hubby agreed also even though we also liked Jumeriah. However, hubby has been in the ME with work the last week and people have been putting him off the idea of The Meadows/Lakes because of the traffic in the mornings to get out - has been told it can take up to 1 1/2 hours just to get out of the Meadows - is this true??

I would be grateful for any advice from any of you that live out there and then can pass the truthful advice to hubby!! :-)

Thank x
Old May 5th 2009, 5:37 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Meadows/Lakes vs Jumeriah/Umm Sequim

Originally Posted by KiwiJoJo
Hello Everyone,

We are heading out to live in June with hubby's job. We have a apartment in the marina for our temporary accommodation. We were out earlier in the year looking around at the different areas to live.

I liked the idea of Meadows/Lakes as we have 2 small boys and thought this was more community friendly and would be easier to meet friends etc at the communal pools/parks and community centre. Hubby agreed also even though we also liked Jumeriah. However, hubby has been in the ME with work the last week and people have been putting him off the idea of The Meadows/Lakes because of the traffic in the mornings to get out - has been told it can take up to 1 1/2 hours just to get out of the Meadows - is this true??

I would be grateful for any advice from any of you that live out there and then can pass the truthful advice to hubby!! :-)

Thank x
Jumeirah JoJo works, so I'd go with that.
Old May 5th 2009, 6:17 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Jumeria and Umm Suquem are places where you wake up every day and immediately know you're an expat (in a very good way!). I live in Umm Suqeim and the convenience can't be beat (very central to almost everything in Dubai), and I enjoy being close to the beach and having Spinney's on Al Wasl as my local supermarket. The architecture of the villas are varied and many have lovely gardens with flowery vines growing over the garden walls.

Meadows and Lakes might as well be upscale suburbs in California or Florida. Pleasant places, and you will probably find more families with children, but you'll also miss out of some expat experiences, such as being able to walk to a corner grill that serves fantastic schwarmas, or to the beach. There are certainly plenty of families with children in Jumeira/Umm Suqeim, by the way. It may take a bit longer to search them out, but I imagine your children's friends will mostly be from the school they go to.

Since you'll be in rented accommodations for a while, you have the opportunity of taking your time to explore the various neighborhoods of Dubai before making your decision. Rents are dropping like flies everywhere, and that's certainly to your advantage.

Hello Everyone,

Thank x
Old May 5th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Location, location, Jumeirah Can't beat it.

N
Old May 5th 2009, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic1
Location, location, Jumeirah Can't beat it.

N
totally, totally agree...!!!

MM, xx
Old May 5th 2009, 6:31 pm
???

moto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to behold

Hi KiwiJoJo

I have no experience on the travel aspect, but from a location point of view, Jumerah & Umm Suquiem (I have lived in this area for 4 years now)are fantastic.

The location to Central Dubai, New Dubai and the beach is 2nd to none.

When you come over have a drive around as you can get villa's on small compounds which will have families and shared pool facilities.

As for making friends, you will make plenty on your school runs, who most likely live in the area anyway.

good luck with your move..
Old May 5th 2009, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Hello Everyone,

Thank x
Another vote for Umm Suqeim here. I love it here.

Handy for everywhere I need.
Old May 5th 2009, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

KiwiJoJo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks you guys!! When we drove around earlier in the year, I was taken by Jumeriah but thought that maybe the Meadows would be better for the kids. But as I am a Kiwi (even though been in Scotland for 11 years now), I am a beach person and love being by the water. Maybe we could find a villa that has some shared facilities....it's great the rents have come down a lot since we were out too! :-)

But yes, we will have a good look round when we get out but it's also good to hear your views from people that actually live there.

So taa very much x