Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

The ME Good Food Guide

The ME Good Food Guide

Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:45 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb The ME Good Food Guide

OK folks saying as we all eat out too much, how about we put our expertise to good use.

The ME Good Food Guide.

Five stars is very good
One star is a straight case of Dehli Belly

How about we mark for:
Food quality
Value for Money
Service
Ambience

I'll add a couple of reviews tommorrow but feel free to get the ball rolling.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 6:51 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The ME Good Food Guide

Shwarma

Place just past Union Co-op and Choitrams on al wasl rd. First turning on the right, first stall on the right.

Food 4.5 Stars
Value 5 Stars = 5Dhs for 2
Service 4 Stars - wee man walks up to the car window
Ambience- Its a sodding carpark so that would be a 0 Stars

Overall, bloody good snack if you're a bit peckish 4 Stars
Old Jul 24th 2005, 7:18 pm
Yes, Master...

Tami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the roughTami2 is a jewel in the rough
Default Persian Cuisine

Persian Cuisine (Yummy)
Restaurant Name: Pars
Location: On the side of a road somewhere in Dubai (Hubby drove and I don't know where it is, but I can find out if anyone is interested.)

This is a lovely indoor/outdoor restaurant where you can actually sit on the raised tables covered with Persian rugs and have your dinner outside in the lovely Dubai night. The night we were there we saw Ali Karimi (Iranian soccer star) having his dinner there and he was gracious enough to allow my son to have a picture taken with him.

Food Quality: Very, very good!

Value for Money: not too expensive, nice night out

Service: Pretty quick but not too intrusive, and they are fine if you want to linger and enjoy the evening, not trying to rush you at all--they even offer Shisha if you are so inclined.

Ambiance: Lovely, especially if you sit outside and the weather is nice. We went in March and it was really nice. I would assume you'd want to be inside in the summer though.

So far, this is my favorite restaurant in Dubai, considering all factors. You can find better food, but the total package here is what makes it so attractive. 4 3/4 stars!
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:21 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

best advice........

try 800-20-50

Its called Dial and Dine..... they suggest restaurants for you at a pricing that you request.

I havent used it, but its supposed to be good.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:27 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Face81
best advice........
try 800-20-50
Its called Dial and Dine..... they suggest restaurants for you at a pricing that you request.
I havent used it, but its supposed to be good.
It is a good idea but I still don't think you can beat personal experiences. Also the cynic in me would think that maybe the companies offered by the service may being paying for the recommendations

Brunch @ Dubai Creek Club - Nomally served in Aquarium restraunt however to to renovation currentley being served in Legends Steak House

Food quality - 4 Stars
Value for Money - 4 Stars - For an excellent buffet brunch 75AED (no booze)
Service - 4 Stars - Attentive without being intrusive.
Ambience - 4 Stars - Fantatsic restaraunt elevated view overlooking the Creek and Dubai Creek golf club, friendly staff and a relaxed brunch.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 5:40 am
Powered by cows

Autonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond reputeAutonomy has a reputation beyond repute

The best curry I've had in Dubai...

Coconut Grove - 9th floor @ Rydges Plaza Hotel Satwa...

Food quality - 5*

Really great! Not your usual selection of curry (especially as they don't do the "brit" curries) A selection of regions covered, lots of fish curries, excellent fresh breads, dahls to die for, varied spicyness to cater to all palates... recomended meal:

Erachi Beef (hot and spicy with nice thick sauce) (Lamb Vindaloo also good and it is not as hot as the stereotypes!)
Dahl Makani (THE most amazing lentil dish you will ever have, slow cooked and melt in the mouth!)
Aloo Gobi
Rice to share
Either mint paratha or fresh Dosai pancakes.
Finished of with Gulab Jamin or Mango Kulfi.... yum!

Value for Money 5*

Meal for 2 with at least a bottle of wine for full main course & desert each etc will be about or under 200 dhs (depending on how gready you are!)

Service either 5* or 2*

Now I say either because there is a quite notorious lady waitress here. Some find her to be really quite hard work, unsmiling, pressing you to take more drinks (see Matthew Lee's Time Out review) OR If you are like me and eat there quite a bit, you take great pleasure in making her laugh, smile, having a joke with her and talking about the great food and you'll find she is so sweet! The manager welcomes you everytime with a handshake and "where have you been" type conversations... Me, I'd give service a 5*...

Ambience 2.5* - It's got good views of Satwa and the SZR towers etc if you get the right seat, but to be honest, it's a bit dated to be generous! It gets really busy Thursday nights, lots of families etc, but that not to say that's not a good thing...

All in all - 4.5* - it's top! Try it........
Old Jul 25th 2005, 7:31 am
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

Fine........ my turn now

Spectrum on One

Place: Fairmont Dubai

Food: 4.5*
Value: 4.5* - AED 150 per person (approx)
Service: 4* - Very slow at bringing you your meal
Ambience: Fantastic contemporary setting, so 5*

Good if you like burning holes in your pocket. heh heh.....

Overall: 4.5*
Old Jul 25th 2005, 7:34 am
The Oracle

Trader Vics

Place: Madinat Jumeirah or The Crown Plaza

Food: 5*
Value: 4.5* - AED 100 per person (approx)
Service: 5* - Excellent
Ambience: Fantastic Polynesian theme, so 5*

Try the bbq'd hamour steak from their wood fired ovens. Yummy!!!

Overall: 5*
Old Jul 25th 2005, 7:36 am
The Oracle

Tokyo @ The Towers

Place: Emirates Towers

Food: 5*
Value: 4.5* - AED 150 per person (approx)
Service: 5* - Brilliant!
Ambience: Modern Japanese Decor, so 5*

Sushi heaven.....

Overall: 5*
Old Jul 25th 2005, 7:40 am
The Oracle

Japengo

Place: Palm Strip, SZR and Madinat Jumeirah (for the authentic Japanese version of Japengo)

Food: 8*
Value: 9* - AED 50 per person (approx)
Service: 5* - fantastic.
Ambience: hip and trendy with a truly Dubai feel to it, so 5*

Huge portions of food and you dont have to pay a fortune for it. Absolutely Delicious selection of Italian, Lebanese, Chinese and Japanese cuisine.

Overall: 7*
Old Jul 25th 2005, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Burger King

Specifically the one opposite new spinneys near burjuman.

Not gonna rate it as there was a caterpillar in my burger last time I went. :scared: It was still alive.

Burger King - giving you that little extra...
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:01 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by kelvynd
Burger King

Specifically the one opposite new spinneys near burjuman.

Not gonna rate it as there was a caterpillar in my burger last time I went. :scared: It was still alive.

Burger King - giving you that little extra...

mmmmmmm......... crunchy protein. delicious!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:21 am