British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Maybe they do not want Tourism back? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/maybe-they-do-not-want-tourism-back-599097/)

rowell Mar 22nd 2009 5:55 am

Maybe they do not want Tourism back?

Dubai authority issues a list of prohibited public behaviors

DUBAI (Alarabiya.net, AFP)

Playing loud music, dancing, nudity, kissing and even holding hands in public is considered inappropriate behavior under new guidelines laid down by the authorities of Dubai , according to a press report on Saturday.

Dubai Executive Council issued a list of public behaviors that requires Dubai residents and visitors to respect the customs of the Muslim country and avoid what the council considers inappropriate behavior, according to the Arabic-language daily Al Emarat Al-Youm.

" Pants and skirts have to be of appropriate length, and outside clothing should not expose body parts indecently and should not be transparent "

Dubai Executive Council

The rules, which apply to all public places, include a ban on all forms of nudity, playing music loudly and dancing, exchange of kisses between men and women—and even on unmarried couples holding hands.

Any breach of the guidelines, by nationals or expatriates, carries a possible prison penalty, the paper wrote.

The order also requires all visitors of public places, such as government buildings, shopping malls, streets and restaurants to dress in “appropriate” clothing, otherwise they would be denied entrance to those areas.

“Pants and skirts have to be of appropriate length, and outside clothing should not expose body parts indecently and should not be transparent,” the guidelines stipulate under section “public behavior,” Al Emarat Al-Youm wrote.

In addition, the council ordered that anyone caught under the influence of alcohol—even a small amount—outside designated drinking areas is liable to being fined or imprisoned, the paper added.

Dubai , a member of the seven-emirate United Arab Emirates , has a diverse culture as it is home to a foreign population made up mainly of low-skilled workers from Asia and Western professionals.

Unlike most of its neighbors in the conservative Gulf region, the emirate tolerates a relatively relaxed dress code and hosts dozens of hotels that have bars and clubs, where alcohol is legally served.

However, a series of incidents, including crackdowns on cross dressers and the expulsion of two British expats found guilty of having sex on the beach, has thrown into the limelight the sometimes clashing local and foreign c ultures.

lionheart Mar 22nd 2009 7:55 am

Re: Maybe they do not want Tourism back?

Old news, mate. This has been discussed ad nauseum on earlier threads.

rowell Mar 22nd 2009 8:23 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7406073)
Old news, mate. This has been discussed ad nauseum on earlier threads.

Must have missed that thanks, good job you have a good memory

bimcnorth Mar 22nd 2009 3:54 pm

They are not looking for the Marbella crowd you know...:lol:

Eva Mar 23rd 2009 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7407004)
They are not looking for the Marbella crowd you know...:lol:

.......can't be choosers.

bimcnorth Mar 23rd 2009 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Eva (Post 7410680)
.......can't be choosers.

True but I had this notion that they are targeting the Indian subcontinents middle class more eagerly?
But I´m no expert on tourism I must admit..:lol:

As for the text above it bears the handwriting of Hamdan bin Mohammad for sure. I can understand that Mo made him the new crown prince given that Rashid is a mental case but he comes across as a prude and a wimp.
If he ever becomes the ruler of Dubai the Al-Nahyans with their scores of educated and ambitious youngsters (take a note Mo..education!!!) might as well move in permanently.

The sad thing is that the Maktoum clan got several bright prospects..but none of them are Mo´s son.

TGFKASE Mar 24th 2009 5:43 am

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7411316)
True but I had this notion that they are targeting the Indian subcontinents middle class more eagerly?
But I´m no expert on tourism I must admit..:lol:

As for the text above it bears the handwriting of Hamdan bin Mohammad for sure. I can understand that Mo made him the new crown prince given that Rashid is a mental case but he comes across as a prude and a wimp.
If he ever becomes the ruler of Dubai the Al-Nahyans with their scores of educated and ambitious youngsters (take a note Mo..education!!!) might as well move in permanently.

The sad thing is that the Maktoum clan got several bright prospects..but none of them are Mo´s son.

Is that him who looks like a 9/11 hijacker on the posters????