British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Maybe moving to Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/maybe-moving-dubai-479700/)

lisag8070 Sep 7th 2007 8:10 pm

Maybe moving to Dubai

Hi Everyone,
We are currently living in US and our visa runs out in Jan 08 so its time to pack up and go home but a job offer in Dubai has come up and we were wondering what Dubai was like, my OH works with cellular networks and I've been a housewife (bloody stupid H4 visa), but we have no clue as to what the Middle East is like to live and work...(as soon as we mentioned Dubai to my MIL she's all "Ohhh you can't go, there's a war going on over there", but we know thats not the case..lol.
what we would like to know is:

which is a good district to live in Dubai,
has to be an area with good schools (have a 6yr old girl) and do they have international schools and if so how much?

and do you know any names of any good apartment complexes as it looks like this will only be for 6-12 months (we'll be paid extra for accommodation, but have to find it ourselves)

and I'm really hoping that there's a expat community (please say yes)

any info would be appreciated....Thanks

lisag8070 Sep 7th 2007 10:21 pm

Re: Maybe moving to Dubai

Its OK, I've been reading a lot of the old and new threads and think I've got all my questions answered,
thanks anyway
Lisa

Inselaffen Sep 7th 2007 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by lisag8070 (Post 5286731)
Its OK, I've been reading a lot of the old and new threads and think I've got all my questions answered,
thanks anyway
Lisa

Im not the best person to answer as am single over here.
just make sure your schooling costs are covered and you get a decent accomodation allowance. Rent is very expensive (prob abt GBP20k). Difficult to say exactly how much without knowing where your husband will work.

From what I understand he wud sponsor your visa so you will be able to work out here without any problems.

some of the married people on here will be able to help you more.

a lot had a late night last night so they will already be tucked up in bed (or out again knowing most of them)

and yes there is a big expat life out here

lisag8070 Sep 8th 2007 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5286754)
Im not the best person to answer as am single over here.
just make sure your schooling costs are covered and you get a decent accomodation allowance. Rent is very expensive (prob abt GBP20k). Difficult to say exactly how much without knowing where your husband will work.

From what I understand he wud sponsor your visa so you will be able to work out here without any problems.

some of the married people on here will be able to help you more.

a lot had a late night last night so they will already be tucked up in bed (or out again knowing most of them)

and yes there is a big expat life out here

Thanks for replying, appreciate the info about the school fees, as I've checked out some of the school web-sites and the prices are unbelievable!, we'll definately get them to be included...

You know I think I'm more happy about the fact that I could actually work than anything else ....:thumbsup:

thanks again, it definately gives us more insight before we sign the contract...