Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Mawaqif Experience

Mawaqif Experience

Old Sep 4th 2011, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light
Default Mawaqif Experience

Ok, so Abu Dhabi has been rolling out this parking payment system over the last couple of years. I've managed to avoid it, or at least pay for the odd hour here and there. The areas in the scheme keep expanding and by the looks of it i'll have to start paying every day to park near the office.

By the looks of it you can use cash, prepay cards or text message payments. Just tried to register my phone, but the website seems to be flaky so that's not possible at the moment. Anyone managed to get it to work, or should i just try and get a few cards to keep me going?

Cheers,
Old Sep 4th 2011, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mawaqif Experience

The pre-payment facility on the website and by phone isn't working yet. Either carry a shedload of coins or get some of the prepaid cards.

....and they're planning to have the whole of the island covered by the end of next year
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:25 am
Forum Regular

fezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of lightfezzer is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh
....and they're planning to have the whole of the island covered by the end of next year
Great, looking forward to that.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 8:42 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the people in my office are using the phone/website system of payment but I stick to coins.

Not the best planned system to be honest, and covering the whole island would be pointless as a lot of places and no parking issues and few cars around even at peak times.

N.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Aaah Mawaqif....

3 months back i purchased a ticket; displayed it on the dashboard, only to get a fine for "not renewing".
I registered a complaint, and was told 3 weeks later that "my appeal was rejected".

Why? The guy had no idea.

The "guestbook" at the Mawaqif's centres gives some idea on what people face with them; I didnt read one positive comments in over 200 pages...
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

The pre-payment facility on the website and by phone isn't working yet. Either carry a shedload of coins or get some of the prepaid cards.

yes it is i know people that have registered their car and then managed to pay by mobile.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I see it's working now....
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I see it's working now....
I'll give it a whirl too. How does it work though? OK I'll check website
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

OK that looks great in theory but in practice in this part of the world - no ticket displayed - probability of mistake by warden/hand held machine - culture of guilty before being proven innocent - heartache of challenging anything!!!!

I'll stick with the coins/card thanks.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

I was finally able to register on the site and log a credit card today.

It actually seems like the phone pay method may work better than the ticket only method, since the user retains an electronic copy of all transactions which is unique to a particular vehicle.

We'll see!
Old Sep 5th 2011, 11:49 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saudiflares
OK that looks great in theory but in practice in this part of the world - no ticket displayed - probability of mistake by warden/hand held machine - culture of guilty before being proven innocent - heartache of challenging anything!!!!

I'll stick with the coins/card thanks.
I worked out for average trips I make around AD city and paying for parking it's almost as cheap to leave the car at home two days a week and jump in a cab. And far less stressful - no walking to meters in this sticky heat. Only trouble is when you can't find a cab

Happy days.

N.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

I use the phone pay system and it works fine - most of the time. I have also had reason to challenge a ticket (because I used the phone pay system then parked my car in another zone type ) and they knew straight away what my issue was and assured me my appeal wouild likely win.

It did.

So, for me I think phone pay is pretty good and saves lots of grief findng coins and the machines to feed them into.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I've been using the mobile system for about 6 months and had no problems. It definitely saves bother as, if you are not near your car, they send you a text to remind you to top up remotely.
Old Sep 7th 2011, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

I am shocked and amazed that the phone system works. I might try it !