Reload this Page >

Marrying a Tunisian in KSA..any advice would be appreciated

Marrying a Tunisian in KSA..any advice would be appreciated

Old Jul 16th 2010, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

thomas3108 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying a Tunisian in KSA..any advice would be appreciated

Hi guys,

I am planning to marry a Tunisian lady in KSA. I am a British citizen and muslim as is she.

Would the marriage be recognised by UK law?

Would she be entitled to a British passport in KSA or make it easier for her to enter the UK to claim one?

Many thanks for any help.

Tom
Old Jul 16th 2010, 4:41 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marrying a Tunisian in KSA..any advice would be appreciated

Originally Posted by thomas3108
Hi guys,

I am planning to marry a Tunisian lady in KSA. I am a British citizen and muslim as is she.

Would she be entitled to a British passport in KSA or make it easier for her to enter the UK to claim one?

Tom
Do you honestly think that she will automatically get a British passport simply by marrying a UK citizen? The reality is much more complicated. I have been married to a non-UK national for over 8 years and she is no nearer getting a UK passport today than on the day we were married...this despite subsequently giving birth to our daughter, who was automatically granted a UK passport. Your wife has to live with you in the UK for at least 4 years to gain entitlement to a UK passport I believe. As we have no intention of living in the UK (which my wife doesn't like anyway), we will be continuing to travel on separate nationality passports for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by lionheart; Jul 16th 2010 at 4:43 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

thomas3108 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you lionheart...you really have a lot of self absorbed information for me..I appreciate your answer to my query very much.

Old Jul 17th 2010, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi guys,

Tom
Pardon me for being nosey, but how can you get married in KSA? I assume you're not a Muslim, and the British Embassy are no longer authorised to conduct weddings, so............

And by the way - if you are non-UK-resident for tax purposes at the moment, be very careful about even trying to get a UK passport for your wife - have a look at the taxman's (successful) lawsuit against Robert Gaines-Cooper..........
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:26 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
I assume you're not a Muslim....
(
Have another look at the original post, Deano
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Have another look at the original post, Deano
Old Jul 17th 2010, 7:59 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

MARRIAGE
RESIDENCE
CITIZENSHIP
PASSPORT

each stage has several requirements- some of which will be actual residence in the UK for a certain amount of time- unless you are out of the UK on official govt business.

As lionheart said, there's no automatic entitlement to anything, and it's not straightforward. Start saving up your -and her - phone bills, letters to each other, postcards, photos of you two together , etc etc.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys,

Tom
Hi Tom,
All of the passport stuff aside..... your marriage will be recognised in the UK. I got married in Jordan and we had the marriage certificate translated into English and stamped at the British Embassy, just as a precaution. But it was not necessary. My hubby now has British citizenship - but like the others have said, this took time and we were living in the UK.
Best wishes for your wedding,
Old Jul 18th 2010, 5:39 am
hmmmm...nice

MataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond reputeMataHari has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you lionheart...you really have a lot of self absorbed information for me..I appreciate your answer to my query very much.

errr....he answered your question based on his own personal experience...not sure what the problem is with that?
I hope you're not one of those people that only likes to hear answers that suit them.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:19 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MataHari
errr....he answered your question based on his own personal experience...not sure what the problem is with that?
I hope you're not one of those people that only likes to hear answers that suit them.
I think the thumbs down were meant for the British Government, not for LH...

Unusual, I know, but I think he honestly thanked him....