Reload this Page >

Marrying a middle eastern

Marrying a middle eastern

Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:28 am
Just Joined

British Expat ME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying a middle eastern

Hi,

I am a British Expat living in the Middle and am engaged to a middle easterner who I will be marrying in a year. We plan on staying in the middle east (may go return to the UK at some point). Can my fiance apply to get the British Nationality whilst living in the middle east or only if he was living in the UK for a set period of time (I know there are separate rules for that).

Thanks,
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marrying a middle eastern

Ah, you female, he male.

It ain't so easy. Nearly impossible for him to get citizenship if you aren't living in the UK.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Expat ME
Hi,

I am a British Expat living in the Middle and am engaged to a middle easterner who I will be marrying in a year. We plan on staying in the middle east (may go return to the UK at some point). Can my fiance apply to get the British Nationality whilst living in the middle east or only if he was living in the UK for a set period of time (I know there are separate rules for that).

Thanks,
You're 'living in the Middle'??

Move to the edge... quickly.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:42 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,
Good luck. You're going to need it.

He cannot get British citizenship without living in the UK.
-
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

If he is Muslim and if you're not, expect major child custody issues to arise if you ever break-up. Sorry to be negative but UK citizenship may be the least of your worries. Good luck anyway...and meanwhile I suggest you consider changing your username as it's rather nerdy, if you don't mind me saying.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

OneBrightStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
If he is Muslim and if you're not, expect major child custody issues to arise if you ever break-up. Sorry to be negative but UK citizenship may be the least of your worries. Good luck anyway...and meanwhile I suggest you consider changing your username as it's rather nerdy, if you don't mind me saying.
Why people can't be bothered to give a straight answer when asked a straight question is beyond me. She didn't ask your expert opinion on her nick....did she?
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:41 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SiD77
Why people can't be bothered to give a straight answer when asked a straight question is beyond me. She didn't ask your expert opinion on her nick....did she?
surely you wouldnt make life altering decisions based on the advice of strangers on a forum..

sweet jesus/allah
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 1:52 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Such heart-warming advice for someone just about to embark on what she's viewing as the happiest day of her life...

I would suggest that you ask at the British Embassy. There may be some people on here who know, but for sure there are a lot who a) don't know but might pretend to and b) will give you totally useless advice which you didn't ask for and didn't want (in case that's too obscure for you Corleone, that's directed fairly and squarely at YOU).

BritishExpatME: congratulations on your impending marriage!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Such heart-warming advice for someone just about to embark on what she's viewing as the happiest day of her life...

I would suggest that you ask at the British Embassy. There may be some people on here who know, but for sure there are a lot who a) don't know but might pretend to and b) will give you totally useless advice which you didn't ask for and didn't want (in case that's too obscure for you Corleone, that's directed fairly and squarely at YOU).

BritishExpatME: congratulations on your impending marriage!
I tried to give you some Karma for this post but it tells me I need to spread it around first!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:57 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and good luck on the marriage!

UK Citizenship won't be offered until you've been resident in the UK for 3 years based on marriage I think it is once you've got either Leave or Indefinite Leave to Remain status, so unless you both live in the UK, it's not going to happen.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:05 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks,
As far as I can remember(and I think this is all being reviewed again so check it out)
You need to be present and settled in the UK with indefinite leave to remain.i.e enjoy British Citizenship or Right of Abode.

He needs to be over 21 *and* been given Certificate of Approval by British Embassy in his homeland to enter for purposes of marriage.I think there is a time line re how long he has to be in UK after receiving approval before you can actually get married. Marriage must be recognised in Uk Law then he can remain for up to two years.Further procedure before he is granted indefinite leave to remain and British Citizenship.

Just ignore Lionfart, all that stuff about child custody....talk about jumping the gun? Clearly Shadya's needing to give his crystal balls a good kickin' sorry polishing.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Eva is right with her advice and also about ignoring all of the other negative advice. There are some people on this forum who are very anti-Muslim and anti-Middle East - so much so, that you wonder why they are bothering living in the Middle East or reading forums about it!

I wanted to say congratulations! I have been married to an Middle Easterner for 11 years (mashallah!) and we have 4 kids. We have been in the UK for the past 11 years and my husband got residency and then nationality within 2 years. Very easy and straightforward. I would consider moving here for a few years to sort it out if you can bear to be back in the UK. We are moving to the UAE - a big move for us both as my husband is not emirati.

Believe me, its not all bad - LOL
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 7:56 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkMum
Eva is right with her advice and also about ignoring all of the other negative advice. There are some people on this forum who are very anti-Muslim and anti-Middle East - so much so, that you wonder why they are bothering living in the Middle East or reading forums about it!

I wanted to say congratulations! I have been married to an Middle Easterner for 11 years (mashallah!) and we have 4 kids. We have been in the UK for the past 11 years and my husband got residency and then nationality within 2 years. Very easy and straightforward. I would consider moving here for a few years to sort it out if you can bear to be back in the UK. We are moving to the UAE - a big move for us both as my husband is not emirati.
75% of the population of Dubai aren't Emirati,similar ratio in Abu Dhabi so I wouldn't stress over it.Your challenge will be schools I believe.
Good luck
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

UkMum is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Eva
75% of the population of Dubai aren't Emirati,similar ratio in Abu Dhabi so I wouldn't stress over it.Your challenge will be schools I believe.
Good luck
Thanks Eva - Luckily, we have schools sorted.
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkMum

Fine, but British Expat ME should beware of getting UK citizenship for her hubby if they are planning to leave the UK again afterwards - look at the Robert Gaines-Cooper case - he now owes that nice Mr Taxman about 30 million pounds because he went to live in the Seychelles - or didn't, in fact... (oh, go and Google his name, you'll see).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.