Reload this Page >

Married for 5+ years outside UK

Married for 5+ years outside UK

Old Oct 8th 2012, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Brook is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Married for 5+ years outside UK

Hi Everyone,

I have been married to a UAE national female for almost six years. We have been informed her passport will be revoke within the coming months and she must take the nationality of her husband.

What is the process for applying residency/citizenship?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 8th 2012, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married for 5+ years outside UK

Originally Posted by Brook
Hi Everyone,

I have been married to a UAE national female for almost six years. We have been informed her passport will be revoke within the coming months and she must take the nationality of her husband.

What is the process for applying residency/citizenship?

Many thanks.
Which passport do you hold? Ask you embassy?
Old Oct 12th 2012, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Have I missed something, I though this forum was British nationals.

As for the embassy, they don’t dealt with visa or passports issues so you will be either refer to the UK Border Agency or VFS Global.

Has anybody going through the same process? If so I will appreciate your advice on the below questions..

Whilst in London can she apply for the spousal/residency visa?
We have lived in UK, for 2 months, though we travel back for 2-3 every summer…will this go against us?
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:35 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

You still haven't answered a previous question. Which passport do YOU hold? Are you a British National or a British Citizen, that is to say were you born in Britain and are entitled to a British passport or have you gained a British passport by becoming a British Citizen - these are two completely different things and will probably impact on the process your wife may have to go through to be able to obtain residency or even a visa.
Old Oct 12th 2012, 9:51 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't it depend on HER family?

A colleague of mine in Dubai is American and married to an Emirati lady. She has retained her status and her kids have been given Emirati status too, despite what is commonly thought to happen.

Her father is important and supports the marriage. And that is why she has retained her Emirati citizenship.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Am British citizen (born in Australia). The process seems to be lot smoother if I was in London and she was applying for spousal visa.

Lullabelle – glad to hear your colleague is not facing the same issues. Is he an Arab national with US citizenship?
Old Oct 13th 2012, 5:28 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Rules have recently changed regards spousal visa. My understanding is that:

Your wife must apply for her spousal visa from outside UK (presumably in UAE) - she cannot do it from within UK. If she is in UK, she must travel to UAE to do this and then re-enter.
You must have a savings of £16,500 for at least 6 months before she moves to UK on her spousal visa.
You must have a job with guaranteed income of at least £18,500 in UK. Otherwise you must have additional savings of 4 x this income, or 4 x the shortfall of your income.

There is a thread on the moving back to the UK forum on this very subject.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 5:31 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

... oh yes, and regardless of the number of years you have been married, you must wait a 5 year probationary period in Uk before your wife can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Sounds like, if your wife's UAE passport is being revoked, you might be in trouble.

She can enter on a visitors visa, but this has it's own T&C which are ultimately quite restrictive.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 9:02 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
... oh yes, and regardless of the number of years you have been married, you must wait a 5 year probationary period in Uk before your wife can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Sounds like, if your wife's UAE passport is being revoked, you might be in trouble.

She can enter on a visitors visa, but this has it's own T&C which are ultimately quite restrictive.

Five years for indefinite leave to remain? That's become stricter. Used to be a year (although I know of a case where it was issued after 6 months) and you could apply for citizenship after three years residency.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 1:13 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

The UK's rules regarding spousal visas are nuts, and the immigration officers are clipboard wielding nazis, but luckily there is a way around them.

If you are British, then you are entitled to live in any EU country (other than UK) as long as you are 'exercising your EU treaty rights'. This basically means working, studying or just living at your own expense (not claiming benefits).

Furthermore, your wife and direct family, regardless of nationality, are entitled to be with you. The EU country you reside in MUST issue them with residency permits free of charge and may not discriminate against you or her - effectively they must be treated same as national citizens of that country.

Now it gets fun. After more than 6 months, you can come to the UK and bring your wife in, and they MUST treat you in the same way they would treat nationals of the EU country you are in too. This means that they must not only let your wife in (no possibility for them to refuse entry), they must also issue your wife residency if you decide to stay, and they must do so FOR FREE, with none of those financial rules others have mentioned.

The case law is here:

http://webdb.lse.ac.uk/gender/Casefi...d=118&pageno=7

I have clarified this myself with the EU's Signpost lawyers, the case law is sound as is the above interpretation of it. You can google 'Surinder Singh' for more detail.

Last edited by captainflack; Oct 14th 2012 at 1:18 pm.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 4:50 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by captainflack
The UK's rules regarding spousal visas are nuts, and the immigration officers are clipboard wielding nazis, but luckily there is a way around them.

If you are British, then you are entitled to live in any EU country (other than UK) as long as you are 'exercising your EU treaty rights'. This basically means working, studying or just living at your own expense (not claiming benefits).

Furthermore, your wife and direct family, regardless of nationality, are entitled to be with you. The EU country you reside in MUST issue them with residency permits free of charge and may not discriminate against you or her - effectively they must be treated same as national citizens of that country.

Now it gets fun. After more than 6 months, you can come to the UK and bring your wife in, and they MUST treat you in the same way they would treat nationals of the EU country you are in too. This means that they must not only let your wife in (no possibility for them to refuse entry), they must also issue your wife residency if you decide to stay, and they must do so FOR FREE, with none of those financial rules others have mentioned.

The case law is here:

http://webdb.lse.ac.uk/gender/Casefi...d=118&pageno=7

I have clarified this myself with the EU's Signpost lawyers, the case law is sound as is the above interpretation of it. You can google 'Surinder Singh' for more detail.
I believe this is called the Surinder Singh route, which I also believe may be closed off as soon as the UK govt can do it.

I'm not so sure that merely being resident in an EU country counts and that you must have some kind of employment.

Like a lot of areas in this issue it is slightly vague and also contains a certain element of heresay and not fact.

I would love to be able to spend 6 months with my non EEA wife in Portugal or Spain (cheap CoL) on an extended 6 month holiday, and then simply 'walk' into UK without the complicated rules which they have brought in this year for the spouses visa.

Somehow I think this route might be too good to be true.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 4:53 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by Meow
Five years for indefinite leave to remain? That's become stricter. Used to be a year (although I know of a case where it was issued after 6 months) and you could apply for citizenship after three years residency.
You are correct, the previous rules were a lot simpler. The new rules are not. If I/we had gone back this June we would have been given automatic ILR based on our 10 year marriage, and could have claimed citizenship fairly quickly.

We wouldnt have had (m)any financial requirements either.

Not now. Lots of people in similar situations who are not happy.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 12:12 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
I believe this is called the Surinder Singh route, which I also believe may be closed off as soon as the UK govt can do it.

I'm not so sure that merely being resident in an EU country counts and that you must have some kind of employment.

Like a lot of areas in this issue it is slightly vague and also contains a certain element of heresay and not fact.

I would love to be able to spend 6 months with my non EEA wife in Portugal or Spain (cheap CoL) on an extended 6 month holiday, and then simply 'walk' into UK without the complicated rules which they have brought in this year for the spouses visa.

Somehow I think this route might be too good to be true.
Firstly, you don't have to be working, but you have to be 'exercising your EU treaty rights'. This means living in another EU country legally and 'permanently'. So if you're retired and live in Portugal, for example, that is fine, or if you are studying - but you have to do so at your own expense. It has been established that 6 months is enough to qualify as 'permanent'.

As for the UK being able to stop this, that will be difficult, because freedom of movement is enshrined in the EU treaty, and this interpretation is clearly established by the EU. The UK government cannot simply pass a new law, or change immigration rules to work around that. And even if your partner is a convicted criminal or has immigration issues in the past, this bypasses that. It puts you exactly on the same basis as a non-UK EU national bringing in family.

It isn't hearsay either - these are established legal precedents.

Check out the EU's signpost service yourself:

http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/f...d/index_en.htm

It may sound too good to be true, but it is true. Feel free to contact them through that site with your specific circumstances - it's free, and they really do respond to you within a week with detailed answers, unlike the lazy t**ts who work for the UK government's departments where you might be lucky to get a 'sorry, cannot help you' within 10 days. And you will see from that site dozens of cases where nation states have applied rules contrary to EU treaty requirements, and their lawyers step in to sort things out and ensure EU laws are applied.

Last edited by captainflack; Oct 15th 2012 at 12:17 pm.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 2:03 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Will her passport being revoked make her stateless? If so, things are likely to get quite serious - how would she have ILR if she doesn't have a passport? You should probably contact an immigration lawyer PDQ.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 2:24 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Originally Posted by captainflack
Firstly, you don't have to be working, but you have to be 'exercising your EU treaty rights'. This means living in another EU country legally and 'permanently'. So if you're retired and live in Portugal, for example, that is fine, or if you are studying - but you have to do so at your own expense. It has been established that 6 months is enough to qualify as 'permanent'.

As for the UK being able to stop this, that will be difficult, because freedom of movement is enshrined in the EU treaty, and this interpretation is clearly established by the EU. The UK government cannot simply pass a new law, or change immigration rules to work around that. And even if your partner is a convicted criminal or has immigration issues in the past, this bypasses that. It puts you exactly on the same basis as a non-UK EU national bringing in family.

It isn't hearsay either - these are established legal precedents.

Check out the EU's signpost service yourself:

http://ec.europa.eu/citizensrights/f...d/index_en.htm

It may sound too good to be true, but it is true. Feel free to contact them through that site with your specific circumstances - it's free, and they really do respond to you within a week with detailed answers, unlike the lazy t**ts who work for the UK government's departments where you might be lucky to get a 'sorry, cannot help you' within 10 days. And you will see from that site dozens of cases where nation states have applied rules contrary to EU treaty requirements, and their lawyers step in to sort things out and ensure EU laws are applied.
I have taken your advice and written to them asking for advice on the Surinder Singh route.

There is a whole thread on this issue on the MBTTUK forum:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=761780

This also addresses questions about the Surinder Singh route (which is where I got my info from regards the uncertainty of whether you have to be working or not). It's a long thread so put the kettle on before you sit down to read it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.