British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Marriage in saudi (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/marriage-saudi-606787/)

Marisa May 2nd 2009 6:46 pm

Marriage in saudi

Ok guys I need your help here. How does marriage stand in this country. I mean a british woman wishing to marry an egyptian man....is it possible in saudi arabia or will they have to perform the ceremony in another country? Thank you all :)

Blue Cat May 3rd 2009 3:10 am

Re: Marriage in saudi

Originally Posted by Marisa (Post 7536012)
Ok guys I need your help here. How does marriage stand in this country. I mean a british woman wishing to marry an egyptian man....is it possible in saudi arabia or will they have to perform the ceremony in another country? Thank you all :)

I have no idea, I am guessing Christian marriages can't take place but Muslime ones can :confused:

Marisa May 3rd 2009 3:19 am

I guessed that it is impossible to do anything the easy way here :( but thank u for ur reply :)

Blue Cat May 3rd 2009 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Marisa (Post 7536614)
I guessed that it is impossible to do anything the easy way here :( but thank u for ur reply :)

one of our regular members - Alexa, used to live in Saudi but she got married in Dubai.

Spurss May 3rd 2009 5:47 am

In Islamic way you've to go to the court or find some 1 named ' Mathoon Al ankeha ' . I don’t know what they call'em in English but he is a man carrying his big book :rofl: got authorized from the judicatory to do marriage contracts .If your man is Muslim I think you can do it in his embassy It's Better

cheers

still.unsure May 3rd 2009 6:12 am

you can get married under saudi law, but it's bloody difficult to get it recognized outside of the kingdom (including UK - mostly due to the polygomyist aspects of it). so, best bet is to try and get married under either UK or Egyptian law (i'd recommend UK if you ever wish to return there) and best to have a chat with the embassy.

be aware that the embassy may not help as a lot of 'western' embassies have a policy of trying to recognize the 'local' marriage and validate it for you, rather than conduct a marriage.

so, you're best bet may be to bunk off to somewhere like cyprus for a couple of days and tie the knot (the uk government is pretty familiar with the marriage protocol there)

oh, and congratulations!

lionheart May 3rd 2009 6:30 am

If you are a British non-Muslim woman marrying an Egyptian man, think very carefully before you have children. You know what can happen, especially if you intend settling in this part of the world. Otherwise, good luck.

still.unsure May 3rd 2009 6:51 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7536815)
If you are a British non-Muslim woman marrying an Egyptian man, think very carefully before you have children. You know what can happen, especially if you intend settling in this part of the world. Otherwise, good luck.

*sigh*

yeah, that's right, lionheart, it was the fact that he was egyptian that did it, not that he was an a.sehole. ffs, there's cultural differences, be aware, fine, point made. the example of that couple should not be used as a reason to stereotype and make borderline racist statements, but rather an (extreme) exception of cultural clashes/ignorance that can exist throughout the world, not just the middle east or (dare i say it) with UK/Egyptian relationship.

Blue Cat May 3rd 2009 6:56 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7536845)
*sigh*

yeah, that's right, lionheart, it was the fact that he was egyptian that did it, not that he was an a.sehole. ffs, there's cultural differences, be aware, fine, point made. the example of that couple should not be used as a reason to stereotype and make borderline racist statements, but rather an (extreme) exception of cultural clashes/ignorance that can exist throughout the world, not just the middle east or (dare i say it) with UK/Egyptian relationship.

culture clashes can occur in any culture, I am surprised Lionheart has experienced some in his marriage ...

still.unsure May 3rd 2009 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7536854)
culture clashes can occur in any culture, I am surprised Lionheart has experienced some in his marriage ...

bingo! ;)

methinks this was just an excuse for lionheart to let out his inner racist? perhaps he's been in the ME a bit too long and has gone a bit native? why else single out someone's nationality for recrimination without even knowing the chap?

Blue Cat May 3rd 2009 7:33 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7536877)
bingo! ;)

methinks this was just an excuse for lionheart to let out his inner racist? perhaps he's been in the ME a bit too long and has gone a bit native? why else single out someone's nationality for recrimination without even knowing the chap?

but sadly you don't know the chap either yet you refer to him as an asshole. Maybe you right about LH though ..

still.unsure May 3rd 2009 8:00 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7536909)
but sadly you don't know the chap either yet you refer to him as an asshole. Maybe you right about LH though ..

very true, and you're right, it was wrong of me. custody battles over children are a very emotive subject, regardless of background. separation of children from both parents needs to be handled in a 'gray' manner, not black and white ("i have the kids and you don't"), hence my quite abrupt and quite wrong assumption that he's an a.sehole

Spurss May 3rd 2009 8:05 am

:unsure:

Blue Cat May 3rd 2009 8:08 am

Originally Posted by still.unsure (Post 7536934)
very true, and you're right, it was wrong of me. custody battles over children are a very emotive subject, irregardless of background. separation of children from both parents needs to be handled in a 'gray' manner, not black and white ("i have the kids and you don't"), hence my quite abrupt and quite wrong assumption that he's an a.sehole

apology accepted ;)

Mariah_Saudi May 3rd 2009 10:02 am

I think that he has to check with the Egyptian embassy and they should give him helpful info.
I got married in Egypt to a Saudi and we both had to get documents from our embassy (approval papers).

check this link
http://ukinsaudiarabia.fco.gov.uk/en...rabia/Marriage

Congrats to both :D