Reload this Page >

Marriage ONLY valid in UAE

Marriage ONLY valid in UAE

Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:36 am
Just Joined

suz_nor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage ONLY valid in UAE

Hi!

Is it possible to get married in UAE, so that you can legally be recognised as married, but NOT have the married recognised in any other country?

We want to get married for the purposes of living together (& avoiding the hassle), but don't want to make a big deal out of it... So if we could just be married within the UAE (& not in our home country of Norway) it would be easier.

Anyone know anything about this??

Thanks!
Suz
Old Sep 15th 2008, 11:40 am

Cleopatra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage ONLY valid in UAE

Why dont you just get married and then make a big deal of it back in Norway?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

If you get married here I don't think you are required to register it with your embassy.

However, if the relationship ended badly then either party could use it against the other.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Shadya is an unknown quantity at this point

They have some arrangement like that in Saudi Arabia but only for locals if my memory serves me right. Needless to say, a considerable amount of money is exchanged before the contract becomes valid.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

suz_nor is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by benzonar
If you get married here I don't think you are required to register it with your embassy.

However, if the relationship ended badly then either party could use it against the other.
Do you have more information about this? Does this mean it's valid? Or is shadya right?
Old Sep 15th 2008, 12:58 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

when you marry here at the Christian Church you get a marriage license but before it is recognised it has to be authorised by the British Embassy. Why do you need to know
Old Sep 15th 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking into the whole marriage thing at the moment. Unfortunately it is bad news, you HAVE to have the marriage certificate authorised by your embassy to make it legal.

3. The Chaplain is registered as officially recognized by the Ministry of Justice for the solemnizing of marriages. The following procedure must follow the ceremony in Church to ensure correct acceptance in Abu Dhabi.

Take the signed copy of the Marriage Certificate for accreditation to:
a)The Ministry of Justice, in the Ministries area (near the Hilton Hotel), 4th floor. Please turn left from the lift, and the office is in the middle. The charge is Dhs50.00. This takes about 10mins.

b)The Ministry of Foreign Affairs in the area adjacent to Carrefour Hypermarket, off Airport Road (at the Maqta Bridge exit). The charge is Dhs.50.00. This takes a day and can be collected the next day.

c)Your own Embassy or Embassies for counter stamping & signature.

The foregoing procedures validate the marriage for the UAE & most countries in the
world.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 1:15 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

but why would you want to get married and it not be legal
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

I always intended mine to be legal, am assuming the other poster wants a marriage of convenience e.g. to make it convenient for them to live in AD together without it being legally binding.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 3:51 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by benzonar
I always intended mine to be legal, am assuming the other poster wants a marriage of convenience e.g. to make it convenient for them to live in AD together without it being legally binding.
in that case they are being overly dramatic, millions live together illegally, it is common fact.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

as mentioned you have to get the marriage attested by your embassy here before taking it to the courts and ministries.

I didnt bother with mine as we got married abroad and didnt need it attesting here as we don't need it for visa purposes.