Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Marriage certificate issue... please help

Marriage certificate issue... please help

Old Jun 23rd 2010, 8:56 am
meonline

meonline is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage certificate issue... please help

I am in the process of applying for a visa for my wife and daughter through my employer (DIFC based) and need advice on an issue that might present a problem /delay in their processing of their visas.

Here is the issue. I got married to my wife who was a foreign national (now she has British citizenship) in the country where my wife used to reside. In the years before I came to Dubai I decided to revert back to our old family surname which is the name on my passport but on the marriage certificate which needs to be attested I am known by my old surname. When the UK authorities asked for clarification on why my name was different on my marriage certificate and passport, I provided them with a copy of my attested statutory declaration that I used to change my surname, and they were ok with that. Now, as I apply for the visa here in Dubai I feel that the Dubai government will pick up on this and delay the visa process.

Will the statutory declaration be sufficient proof of the name change for the authorities here in Dubai. I have tried ringing the consulate of the country where our marriage took place but it is constantly engaged.

Thanks.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:35 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage certificate issue... please help

Why would a husband want to change his surname or am I missing something?
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:37 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Why would a husband want to change his surname or am I missing something?
You've been missing something for a while..........
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:51 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TGFKASE
You've been missing something for a while..........
...and its certainly not you!
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 10:53 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
...and its certainly not you!
Now, now, don't play hard to get Shadyaheart.....
Old Jun 29th 2010, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

vastmassive is an unknown quantity at this point

I have recently had an issue with my marriage certificate...... However I work in a Document clearance company in Dubai and to say the least we deal with similar problems every day. The ministry of forigen affairs over here are only interested in the stamps on the certificate as opposed to the content.
The certificate must be attested by the UAE EMBASSY IN UK or the British embassy here (however they have changed the rules recently as far as I know and if you were married outside the uk they can't do it but thats a different story)

To cut a long list of possibilities down......... as long as you have all of the proff and the proff itself attested you will be fine.

Let me know if they tell you otherwise