Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Marriage certificate

Marriage certificate

Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default Re: Marriage certificate

get the document stamped by a notary in the UK

its mad, but he only certifies that its a copy of the original

then get it to the fco, they should stamp it once it has a stamp from a uk notary

then send it to the UAE embassy

google notaries in your local area, a solicitor or suchlike..

that's what I did in Sydney and then sent it to the fco equivalent in Sydney and they stamped it and then sent it to the Qatar embassy

good luck!
Old Oct 20th 2014, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by marina8022
Hi Russ,

Thanks for your reply.

Have no idea what to do next...

Appreciate your help on this.

Marina
Whilst it probably sounds ridiculous, could you get a quick registry marriage in the UK and use that certificate? When I had my documents legalised before coming across, the notary said he often met people who had got married in somewhere exotic, never realising the difficulties it would cause if they wanted to work in somewhere like the UAE. From what I remember, I think in some cases it was just not possible to get the overseas marriage certificate legalised to the UAE standards. How hard is it to get a new UK marriage certificate from a registry office? Since you are already married to each other and not trying to marry someone new, I assume it is legal?
Old Oct 20th 2014, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

marina8022 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again,

I will try to follow your suggestion Russ.You do not think I need to get stamp from St.Lucia embassy in UK before getting it stamped by notary?

Archie,I have checked and apparently since UK recognisee marriage certificate issued by any other country it would not be legal to get married in UK again.

Absolute nightmare! I have established that UAE embassy in US deals with all documents issued in St.Lucia but they will not stamp any document unless it was stamped first by US State Department?!?!

Thanks.

Marina
Old Oct 20th 2014, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

All I can suggest is:
For our US employees, we advise them to use ASAP Document Services
If you contact them, they might be able to sort for you to get your documents stamped by State and then sent to the UAE embassy in Washington. They do hundreds of US people for us, and seem to be OK.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

Yes Marina... In the first instance you will need to get it stamped by the st Lucian embassy in London.. They make it a legal document. Then get a notary to stamp it and then try the fco office and then get it to the UAE embassy in London.
I know it seems an awful lot of hassle but once you get the ball rolling it becomes easier/clearer. The st Lucian embassy in London were very helpful to me actually.

Marina[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 20th 2014, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Btw, Archie's comment is something we did consider..
If you haven't registered your marriage certificate in the uk with the dept of births and marriages then you could get married again in a registers office no hassle...you would have a certificate then to get attested and cost wise after it probably wouldn't be too much more to do.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Debowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really niceDebowing is just really nice

If there is a diplomatic mission of St Lucia in Qatar, that would be sufficient I think...