Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Marriage certificate

Marriage certificate

Old Jun 24th 2014, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice
Default Marriage certificate

I got hitched in st lucia and now need to have my marriage certificate attested in order to bring the missus over to Qatar with me.
I am in the uk. Today I sent the marriage certificate off to the high commission of st lucia in London who can apostille it with a seal or stamp.
The problem is that the Qatar embassy in London have said that they won't attest the document as it's not been issued in the uk.
Anyone know how or where I might get it attested?
I would hate to have to leave the missus behind!!!!!!

Cheers

Russ
Old Jun 25th 2014, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage certificate

or in worst case repeat the wedding at a registry in UK
Old Jul 16th 2014, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

ReesanDemha is an unknown quantity at this point

Marriage Certificate needs to be stamped by the Foreign Office in the Country the marriage certificate was issued in - and then certified by the Qatari Embassy in the same country - going through that particular joy at the moment myself.
Old Jul 17th 2014, 6:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

we were able to get ours done in UAE by having the certificate attested by the Foreign Ministry of the country where we married (Sri Lanka) and their embassy in UAE. Didn't need to get it attested by the UAE embassy in Colombo who were being very difficult. They wanted the certificate attested by both UK and Kazakh embassies in Colombo. There isn't a Kazakh embassy there and the UK one won't attest documents any more.

call your embassy in Doha and see if they know if the same would apply in Qatar
Old Jul 19th 2014, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Russ_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really niceRuss_Sarah is just really nice

What a nightmare I have had with getting it sorted....
Nearly sorted now though
More my own doing than any fault of the Qatar visa system though..
Old Jul 19th 2014, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ReesanDemha
Marriage Certificate needs to be stamped by the Foreign Office in the Country the marriage certificate was issued in - and then certified by the Qatari Embassy in the same country - going through that particular joy at the moment myself.
My husband is in Doha, I am still in Italy. He asked his HR department at Qatar Foundation, his employer, and they said that the Marriage certificate does not need to be legalised.

My question is: if a document need to be legalised or not, does it dépend on the employer, or on the country of origin? Or maybe my husband had wrong information?

Thanks
Old Jul 20th 2014, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

I think it is a government requirement that the marriage certificate is legalised and then stamped by the Qatar embassy in the country where you got married.
Your husband will be sponsoring you to come to qatar, not the company who he works for.
I was sent a checklist of things I would need to sponsor my family on the list it says:
Marriage certificate legalised and stamped by Qatar embassy
It also says birth certificates for any children legalised and stamped by the Qatar embassy

Hope that helps!

Russ
Old Jul 20th 2014, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

ReesanDemha is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah
I think it is a government requirement that the marriage certificate is legalised and then stamped by the Qatar embassy in the country where you got married.
Your husband will be sponsoring you to come to qatar, not the company who he works for.
I was sent a checklist of things I would need to sponsor my family on the list it says:
It also says birth certificates for any children legalised and stamped by the Qatar embassy

Hope that helps!

Russ
Yes this is what I have been told also.
Plus for the children who need school, their old school reports will need legalising too !! 2 years reports if available. Such a headache and extra costs
Old Jul 20th 2014, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, I got the school reports done as well, but you don't need that to get sponsored by your husband.
Old Jul 20th 2014, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

primularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond reputeprimularossa has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Russ, can you please send me an email through the forum? I will answer so you see my email address and you nightclub send me this check list. it will help us a lot!

Thank you,
Primula

Originally Posted by Russ_Sarah

Hope that helps!

Russ
Old Jul 20th 2014, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorry the spell checker changed "might" into "nightclub"!

Originally Posted by primularossa
Dear Russ, can you please send me an email through the forum? I will answer so you see my email address and you nightclub send me this check list. it will help us a lot!

Thank you,
Primula
Old Jul 21st 2014, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Primula,

i sent that information to your gmail

hope it helps.
Old Oct 18th 2014, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

marina8022 is an unknown quantity at this point

Dear Rus,

My husband and I also got married in St.Lucia and at the moment trying to legalise marriage certificate for move to Abu Dhabi.Just as in your case, St. Lucia embassy in London put an apostil on it but we do not know what to do next,since UAE has no embassy in St.Lucia and the other way around.
How did you sort it out in the end.??I would really appreciate your help on this.

Thanks.

Marina8022
Old Oct 20th 2014, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Marina8022,

we had a bit of a nightmare to be honest to get it attested..we got a list of the embassies nearest to st lucia, the nearest Qatar embassy is in the Dominican republic..but they did not reply to emails nor did they ever pick up the phone even when I phoned when they were supposed to be open.

I was in Australia at the time and was having documents attested from Australia via the Qatar embassy there..i basically plagued the embassy in Australia with phone calls and asked them if they could help me..i asked if they could contact the embassy in the Dominican republic for me directly..after I asked them to do that for me they said that actually they would be prepared to attest the document.

my advice to you would be to
1. get a notary to stamp a copy of your st lucia marriage certificate..they can do that in the uk even if it is not issued from the uk.
2. send the copy which you have stamped by the notary to the UAE embassy and ask them to attest it as there is no embassy in st lucia

good luck
Old Oct 20th 2014, 8:56 am
Just Joined

marina8022 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your reply.

Regarding your suggestion to get my marriage certificate stamped by notary in UK and attested by UAE embassy in UK.I contacted UAE embassy here but they kept insisting that they can not attest any document that is not firstly stamped by UK FCO ( Foreign and Commonvelth Office)... FCO has assured me that they have never attested any document that is not issued in UK and so will not be able to help me!!????

So i tried to contact UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs just to find out which UAE embassy closest to ST.Lucia would be in charge of this, but again after trying for days could not get through and talk to anyone?.

Have no idea what to do next...

Appreciate your help on this.

Marina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.