British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Marriage (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/marriage-541865/)

rowell Jun 8th 2008 10:01 am

Marriage

Hi all

Not the usual newby question but am coming to work in Dubai with my live in partner and intend to get married in Dubai. Have looked at the threads and not come up with a lot of info, and there is not a great deal on google.

Basically it says on www.dubaifaqs.com you get married in church, I am divorced and my partner a widower, so probably no problem from her part getting married in a church but in the Uk divorcees are not allowed to.

Anyone been married in Dubai and other than all the running around getting items notarised and authenticated, what is the position, we are both english.

Don't know if it makes a difference but my partner is catholic and I by birth COE

Thanks in advance

typical Jun 8th 2008 4:55 pm

Re: Marriage

Best to call them and ask directly, I'd have thought?

You've a choice between two Anglican churches (one in Jebel Ali) and one RC...

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/ser...=1196173574031

Grace O Malley Jun 8th 2008 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 6446583)
Hi all

Not the usual newby question but am coming to work in Dubai with my live in partner and intend to get married in Dubai. Have looked at the threads and not come up with a lot of info, and there is not a great deal on google.

Basically it says on www.dubaifaqs.com you get married in church, I am divorced and my partner a widower, so probably no problem from her part getting married in a church but in the Uk divorcees are not allowed to.

Anyone been married in Dubai and other than all the running around getting items notarised and authenticated, what is the position, we are both english.

Don't know if it makes a difference but my partner is catholic and I by birth COE

Thanks in advance

HI

As your partner is a widow she can get married in a catholic church if she was divorced then no way , you are not a catholic therefore the RC church will only marry you if you undergo Catholicism training lol!

A friend of mine got married herein AD a few weeks ago her now hubbie is a divorcee and they got married in CoE church, so there shouldn't be a problem.

They got all the info from British Embassy

Good luck

Inselaffen Jun 8th 2008 6:00 pm

be careful. madam Medusa will be out to get an invite to wherever you have it!

arbroath_abroad Jun 8th 2008 6:02 pm

my wife and i were married in Jebel Ali Church in 2006, both british passport holders, no problem at all.

call them and ask to speak to Steven Wright.....in the afternoon..

He is the minister and he is brilliant

Grace O Malley Jun 8th 2008 6:05 pm

[QUOTE=arbroath_abroad;6447278]

nutter:)

Grace O Malley Jun 8th 2008 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 6447271)
be careful. madam Medusa will be out to get an invite to wherever you have it!

yeah cos u still not done the deed and she has to wear her hat before its soooo last season

hello doll

Madam Medusa Jun 8th 2008 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 6447300)
yeah cos u still not done the deed and she has to wear her hat before its soooo last season

hello doll

exactly...

hey doll, how's you...?

MM, xx

Inselaffen Jun 8th 2008 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 6447300)

hello doll

I only holding off because I don't think hats suit her!

rowell Jun 9th 2008 4:55 am

Thanks for the info everyone, have spoken to British Embassy, seems its upto the priest, vicar or whoever regarding marriage in church but there does not appear to be any other premises in Dubai licensed to do weddings such as hotels. Maybe easier to get married in Seychelles or Maldives then get everything attested.

rowell Jun 9th 2008 4:56 am

Originally Posted by arbroath_abroad (Post 6447278)
my wife and i were married in Jebel Ali Church in 2006, both british passport holders, no problem at all.

He is the minister and he is brilliant

I will ring radio 2 and ask him

Blue Cat Jun 9th 2008 5:02 am

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 6448798)
Thanks for the info everyone, have spoken to British Embassy, seems its upto the priest, vicar or whoever regarding marriage in church but there does not appear to be any other premises in Dubai licensed to do weddings such as hotels. Maybe easier to get married in Seychelles or Maldives then get everything attested.

it's very easy to get married here, we got married at Holy Trinity and were both divorced, no problems at all. YOu can't get married in the Maldives they are a muslim state, you can get it blessed there but not the actual legal binding ceremony. Do it here, nay hassle :)

rowell Jun 9th 2008 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6448810)
it's very easy to get married here, we got married at Holy Trinity and were both divorced, no problems at all. YOu can't get married in the Maldives they are a muslim state, you can get it blessed there but not the actual legal binding ceremony. Do it here, nay hassle :)

Did not know that about the Maldives, I thought folks got married there all the time, thanks Blue Cat will look at it closer.

Blue Cat Jun 9th 2008 5:50 am

http://www.gettingmarriedindubai.com/

Charlotte who owns this Company is a friend of mine and Arbroaths :thumbup:

rowell Jun 9th 2008 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 6448879)
http://www.gettingmarriedindubai.com/

Charlotte who owns this Company is a friend of mine and Arbroaths :thumbup:

Thanks again Blue Cat.