British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Marketing Manager - Dubai salary (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/marketing-manager-dubai-salary-876780/)

kittykat2 May 1st 2016 12:53 pm

Marketing Manager - Dubai salary

I've been looking to move out to Dubai for some time, and an opportunity has recently come up to work for a well respected architectural firm. I am on a package of £57k in London and potentially have another job offer on the cards in London for £65-£80, but TBC.

The Dubai company would like to offer me the role, but have asked me what my salary expectations are. They were originally looking to pay AED 15k-20k.

I would be making the move myself, so there would be no relocation our housing costs. I am white and English.

What should I realistically be asking / getting out there? AED 25k / 30k / 35k? Thanks

DXBtoDOH May 1st 2016 5:57 pm

Re: Marketing Manager - Dubai salary

If you get the other London offer you're better off in London.

Marketing manager salaries vary hugely so it's hard to give you the average. Some firms pay as much as 40K for highly experienced marketing people while others will pay as little as 10K for an Indian or Lebanese who are still competent enough. It comes down to the firm and what they see for the role. Is your offer from an Atkins type firm or a more local firm? I work for a western A/E/C firm and our proposals / bid manager makes about 30K a month so that might be a reasonable comparison for someone in your position.

If your prospective firm is offering between 15-20K they're not likely to go much higher. I wouldn't trade £57k for 20K a month because £57K is approximately 25K AED per month (300K for the year). So you'd be taking a salary cut.

I'd only take the offer if it was at least exactly the same as your current package at a minimum, and ideally with a bump. There is the tax savings and in general COL in Dubai is less than in London but it's still a very expensive city. Never take a pay cut to come to Dubai.

flood2 May 1st 2016 6:23 pm

I work in consultant engineering with one of the main western consultancies, and have done for 5 years.

I say to engineers from UK looking to move out here, that you should only move if you at least double your UK salary.

It is "tax free" out here on salary, but almost everything else costs more.

al dente May 2nd 2016 3:28 am

That is no a good salary in your situation. You would be better of speaking to a PR agency.

scrubbedexpat141 May 2nd 2016 4:41 am

Originally Posted by flood2 (Post 11936906)
I work in consultant engineering with one of the main western consultancies, and have done for 5 years.

I say to engineers from UK looking to move out here, that you should only move if you at least double your UK salary.

It is "tax free" out here on salary, but almost everything else costs more.

So THAT'S why a grad I spoke to yesterday was demanding 30k a month.

:rolleyes:

al dente May 2nd 2016 4:48 am

When looking for a role, one rule of thumb is to match salary from back home and gun for the benefits.

Unfortunately, as it is an international market some people's salaries 'back home' are much lower than yours (India for example) so unless your skills are difficult to match, offers can be lower.

Look for top western companies.

DubInRiyadh May 2nd 2016 10:33 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 11937188)
When looking for a role, one rule of thumb is to match salary from back home and gun for the benefits.

Unfortunately, as it is an international market some people's salaries 'back home' are much lower than yours (India for example) so unless your skills are difficult to match, offers can be lower.

Look for top western companies.

The skills that cant be matched in my experience over here, is the ability to be proactive, creative and decision making is always done better by the westerners. These are only seen in a work environment and are not always obvious when comparing 2 CV's from different nationalities.

Standanista May 3rd 2016 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by DubInRiyadh (Post 11937355)
The skills that cant be matched in my experience over here, is the ability to be proactive, creative and decision making is always done better by the westerners. These are only seen in a work environment and are not always obvious when comparing 2 CV's from different nationalities.

Definitely. All the above plus being prepared to stick your neck out, take responsibility/control and the ability to listen to someone's point without wobbling your head from side to side; all these attributes command a premium.