Manamah - Bahrain

Old Mar 14th 2005, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

irela is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Manamah - Bahrain

Hi everyone! As I may relocating to Bahrain I would appreciate any info regarding living standards, conditions, treatment of women (I am 31 and I will be on my own) etc.

thank you all
Old Mar 15th 2005, 3:43 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Manamah - Bahrain

Originally Posted by irela
Hi everyone! As I may relocating to Bahrain I would appreciate any info regarding living standards, conditions, treatment of women (I am 31 and I will be on my own) etc.

thank you all
Manama is a great place! Although it is not as relaxed as Dubai, it is still very liberal compared to other gulf states.
The shopping is also not as good, but there is a Debenhams,Next,River Island, Sony etc etc. These can be found in Seef Mall.

If your getting a taxi anywhere, please note that most of the time they do not put the meter on and they WILL try to overcharge you. You must insist that they put the meter on, or at least tell you the fare upfront.

On the weekend there is a massive influx of Saudi men, who come over to also enjoy the more liberal attitude , so If you are out at night over a weekend please bear this in mind.

Nightlife: Most expats normally hang around Sherlocks (a traditional English pub in the Gulf Hotel)during the week nights. At weekends there can be a few working girls in there to look after the influx of visitors (US 5th Fleet is also based there). JJMurphey's is also good, as is the nightclub next door called BJ's. These are located in the Albustan Hotel.
(If this is your first time in the GCC bear in mind that taxi drivers rarely know the names of bars, so you have to quote the hotel name).

Being an island, it has a small town mentality, and you will soon know most of the local expats. I would advise that if you are going out, go with a companion until you have settled in and got into the swing of things.

Living stardards are generally good dependant on location and if your employer is providing accomodation. If not then rented accomodation can be expensive.
Petrol and cars are obviously cheaper than the UK, Booze is the same and so are clothes from well known chains in the shopping malls.

Driving in Bahrain may be a shock to you compared to UK driving, but it is far better the the driving in Dubai! Peak times around the diplomatic area and ring roads can be a pain, but normally it is free flowing.

I dont think you will have a problem over there, and you will love it !

Please let me know if you want to know anything specific.

Kind Regards
JD
Old Mar 15th 2005, 6:12 am
Up in the air

Jammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond reputeJammy_Dodgers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jammy_Dodgers
Manama is a great place! Although it is not as relaxed as Dubai, it is still very liberal compared to other gulf states.
The shopping is also not as good, but there is a Debenhams,Next,River Island, Sony etc etc. These can be found in Seef Mall.

If your getting a taxi anywhere, please note that most of the time they do not put the meter on and they WILL try to overcharge you. You must insist that they put the meter on, or at least tell you the fare upfront.

On the weekend there is a massive influx of Saudi men, who come over to also enjoy the more liberal attitude , so If you are out at night over a weekend please bear this in mind.

Nightlife: Most expats normally hang around Sherlocks (a traditional English pub in the Gulf Hotel)during the week nights. At weekends there can be a few working girls in there to look after the influx of visitors (US 5th Fleet is also based there). JJMurphey's is also good, as is the nightclub next door called BJ's. These are located in the Albustan Hotel.
(If this is your first time in the GCC bear in mind that taxi drivers rarely know the names of bars, so you have to quote the hotel name).

Being an island, it has a small town mentality, and you will soon know most of the local expats. I would advise that if you are going out, go with a companion until you have settled in and got into the swing of things.

Living stardards are generally good dependant on location and if your employer is providing accomodation. If not then rented accomodation can be expensive.
Petrol and cars are obviously cheaper than the UK, Booze is the same and so are clothes from well known chains in the shopping malls.

Driving in Bahrain may be a shock to you compared to UK driving, but it is far better the the driving in Dubai! Peak times around the diplomatic area and ring roads can be a pain, but normally it is free flowing.

I dont think you will have a problem over there, and you will love it !

Please let me know if you want to know anything specific.

Kind Regards
JD
Also, stay away from the street vendors selling Chicken Shwarma, unless your bulimic and want to s#it out everything you eat instantly.

There is a fantastic chippy just outside Al Bustan Hotel, so when you fall out of the night club, head over there..just like the UK and they even have Sarsons.....joy!!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2005, 9:40 am
Just Joined

Cautious is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by irela

thank you all
As some one who lives in Bahrain and spends a lot of time in Dubai I would certainly agree Bahrain is not as 'busy' Dubai, but it has plus points too...anyone (OK, Muslims aren't supposed to ) can go into liquor stores to buy alcohol, traffic is never anywhere near as bad as Sheikh Zayed road, cost of living is cheaper...doesn't seem to be as many rules and regulations than Dubai (our neighbours moved there last year, and said they would be back here given the chance). Going out is not too bad, Crown Plaza (Harvesters) has live music every night, Fiddlers Green, Warblers, JJs, Trader Vics, Country Club, Sherlock Holmes and some more I've not tried yet. Weekends does see a lot of Saudis, but you get used to that!
Hope that helps!