Reload this Page >

Making the move.. UK to Doha/Dubai

Making the move.. UK to Doha/Dubai

Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:09 am
Just Joined

Ashtona is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Making the move.. UK to Doha/Dubai

No I wouldn't mention that.

I'm going over to Doha soon so I'm going to go round and see agency's etc in person, if anybody can recommend any I'd be so grateful.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashtona
Thanks, nice to receive some good advice!
Do you know of any jobs?
*used to* - we fired her for a cheaper Lebanese replacement with fake breasts. Sorry, I know how wrong that sounds but it is kind of how it works around here.

I don't know of any specific jobs - we now use a lot of agency staff (through manpower) for this sort of thing. i recently interviewed a 24 year old british paralegal who wanted to be a receptionist - she had been looking for a job for well over a year.

We pay the receptionist around 9k AED a month - this is very high for Dubai (by an order of 2 or 3 times)
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
*used to* - we fired her for a cheaper Lebanese replacement with fake breasts. Sorry, I know how wrong that sounds but it is kind of how it works around here.

I don't know of any specific jobs - we now use a lot of agency staff (through manpower) for this sort of thing. i recently interviewed a 24 year old british paralegal who wanted to be a receptionist - she had been looking for a job for well over a year.

We pay the receptionist around 9k AED a month - this is very high for Dubai (by an order of 2 or 3 times)
My old firm used to employ a CV formatter on 3k. Fortunately a couple of the senior managers found out and quite fairly pointed out that was offensively low.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
My old firm used to employ a CV formatter on 3k. Fortunately a couple of the senior managers found out and quite fairly pointed out that was offensively low.
I hope that in order to make amends they simply fired that person and get you lot to do it yourselves.

My old place used to employ tea-boys on 800dh a month. During a cost cutting exercise we fired a couple and the remaining ones went and complained to the board - we ended up bringing them all back and fired some expats on 40k a month.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 10:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I hope that in order to make amends they simply fired that person and get you lot to do it yourselves.

My old place used to employ tea-boys on 800dh a month. During a cost cutting exercise we fired a couple and the remaining ones went and complained to the board - we ended up bringing them all back and fired some expats on 40k a month.
Absolutely not. Think she just got a bit of payrise. What made it all a bit worse was they'd decided our year hadn't been as successful as needed and so we wouldn't be awarding the support staff (all Filipino, bar one Brit I think) any bonus.

Which is fine, if they were directly responsible for the success of the business but a couple of them were the finance bods that processed and chased our invoices, worked out the commission, got told it was wrong, worked it out properly and then signed off on it.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ashtona
Hi,

I am 26 years old and female and looking to move out there to work and live... The real deal!

I have worked at PA level (admin, accounts assistant, reception, booking travel etc) for over 10 years, working most recently for the British government.
I am applying for jobs on naukrigulf.com, dubizzle, bayt and others but having no joy. My question are:
Would I have more luck moving out there for a month and going to agency's and getting noticed? (I have a friend I could stay with)
Or do I secure a job before I move over? If so, any tips or advice would be great.

Thanks x
There's loads of stuff around which would suit you but there's one problem you'll need sponsoring . There's decent stuff around but they'll be looking for people who would be on their husbands visa .

My wife could change jobs every other week if she wanted there's that much around and she does the same thing that you're looking for . It will be difficult to get a job like that and be sponsored , they're around but you need a better skill set .

Loads and loads of people co-habit here as well , that's not to say that it's risk free because it isn't .

Get married