British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Making the move.. UK to Doha/Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/making-move-uk-doha-dubai-865119/)

Ashtona Sep 13th 2015 4:30 pm

Making the move.. UK to Doha/Dubai

Hi,

I am 26 years old and female and looking to move out there to work and live... The real deal!

I have worked at PA level (admin, accounts assistant, reception, booking travel etc) for over 10 years, working most recently for the British government.
I am applying for jobs on naukrigulf.com, dubizzle, bayt and others but having no joy. My question are:
Would I have more luck moving out there for a month and going to agency's and getting noticed? (I have a friend I could stay with)
Or do I secure a job before I move over? If so, any tips or advice would be great.

Thanks x

Millhouse Sep 14th 2015 6:18 am

Re: Making the move.. UK to Doha/Dubai

Why Doha or Dubai? I would suggest you pick one first and stick with it.

If you can visit for a couple of weeks then that may help. You're not going to be earning a fortune here though.

Ashtona Sep 14th 2015 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11747702)

If you can visit for a couple of weeks then that may help. You're not going to be earning a fortune here though.

I have just returned from Doha for 2 weeks, going back in October. Ideally Doha but it seems more difficult to find work there.

DXBtoDOH Sep 14th 2015 6:31 am

Doha is very different from Dubai. There may appear to be similarities on the surface but underneath it it's quite different and not in a good way (unless you have cultural reasons for preferring Doha).

Why Doha?

Originally Posted by Ashtona (Post 11747704)
I have just returned from Doha for 2 weeks, going back in October. Ideally Doha but it seems more difficult to find work there.

Millhouse Sep 14th 2015 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Ashtona (Post 11747704)

People who choose Doha over Dubai are either unable to get the numbers to work in Dubai or simply have some mercenary streak.

A friend who lived there for a few years once said to me... if you ever have a chance to visit Doha, don't.

DXBtoDOH Sep 14th 2015 6:46 am

Souq Waqif isn't that bad. A couple quite good restaurants in there.

But yes, no need to visit Doha unless you're dragged there on a work trip.

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11747713)
A friend who lived there for a few years once said to me... if you ever have a chance to visit Doha, don't.

Ashtona Sep 14th 2015 8:00 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 11747716)
Souq Waqif isn't that bad. A couple quite good restaurants in there.

But yes, no need to visit Doha unless you're dragged there on a work trip.

Ha yes I know, I've been to both Doha and Dubai and there are huge differences but my partner works in Doha hence the preference.

mission Sep 14th 2015 10:22 am

for the line of work you have mentioned, you'll be competing against Indians, Pakistanis, Filipinos who are all prepared to work their bollocks off for next to nothing.

Ashtona Sep 14th 2015 10:24 am

I know, which is why I think im struggling so much and have put this thread on for any advice, happy to do something else if it helps.

mission Sep 14th 2015 10:26 am

if your partner's been out there for a year or so....can't he get you any leads?

Ashtona Sep 14th 2015 10:28 am

Yes he has been trying. he's sent my cv onto colleagues etc but it all seems to not go any where.
It's disheartening when you hear nothing back.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 15th 2015 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11747702)

Hold up there, a good, Western PA can earn decent cash over here, without doubt.

But need a solid background, I expect some great references and cracking tits. (sorry, couldn't help it).

Millhouse Sep 15th 2015 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11748754)
Hold up there, a good, Western PA can earn decent cash over here, without doubt.

But need a solid background, I expect some great references and cracking tits. (sorry, couldn't help it).

don't disagree. We used to pay ours 27k... but those jobs are few and far between and you gotta have skills.

Ashtona Sep 15th 2015 5:51 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11748783)
don't disagree. We used to pay ours 27k... but those jobs are few and far between and you gotta have skills.

Thanks, nice to receive some good advice!
Do you know of any jobs?

Meow Sep 15th 2015 9:02 am

Are we going to mention the "partner" and co-habiting thing? What with it being illegal and Doha being stricter about these things than Dubai.

I doubt that just firing off CVs will get you a decent job. Far better to research potential employers and approach them directly in many cases. LinkedIn can be useful in tracking down companies and the person to speak to or recruitment consultants that have roles to fill.