British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Mail redirection (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/mail-redirection-811725/)

Jolly01 Oct 10th 2013 1:39 am

Mail forwarding services

Hello Everybody,

I'm moving from London to Saudi Arabia and I'm trying to find a reliable mail forwarding service. I don't feel like asking my family or friends to do it- my relatives are too old and friends are too busy to do it regularly.
Any recommendations? Good or bad experiences with mail forwarding companies?

Joanne

busybee2 Oct 10th 2013 4:29 am

Re: Mail forwarding services

Originally Posted by Jolly01 (Post 10938027)
Hello Everybody,

I'm moving from London to Saudi Arabia and I'm trying to find a reliable mail forwarding service. I don't feel like asking my family or friends to do it- my relatives are too old and friends are too busy to do it regularly.
Any recommendations? Good or bad experiences with mail forwarding companies?

Joanne

royal mail do it for a fee but can only do for 2 years

bodieanddoyle Oct 10th 2013 11:14 am

Re: Mail redirection

As long as you don't actually expect to receive any of your mail, you'll be fine....

If you really think you need to do this, I would suggest you get your mail forwarded to a friend/family member and get them to FedEx it to you periodically. You might have a small chance of receiving it then.

Hippacrocapig Oct 12th 2013 5:43 am

I did the Royal Mail option for two years and found it reliable but slow. After the two years were up I opted for national redirection and now my mail goes to my parents house.
It's actually nice receiving junk mail!

Jolly01 Oct 13th 2013 1:56 am

Royal Mail redirection seems to be a good option. I didn't know they could forward your mail abroad. Also, I'm considering MBE, I'm not sure if anybody tried them?
Friends and family- only if I have to, with the amount of mail I'm getting it's like a regular job to collect and send it

mylife98 Mar 4th 2014 2:24 am

Hi,

My first post on this forum - been reading a lot of the great stuff on here over the last couple of weeks.

Jolly01 - did you ever sort this? What did you go for in the end? I'm looking at a 2yr assignment in the USA and looking at the same problem.

However, I'm intent to go paperless (I've shifted so much of my paper to online over the last couple of years anyway). So looking at a mail scanning solution like this:
http://www.ukpostbox.com/expatriates.html

The key is the re-direct to the scanning service. The options:
1 - just leave everything registered at my current address and put the redirect in place for 2yrs (it's a rental property so I genuinely won't live here and someone else will)
2 - try and change all addresses to a family address and then redirect from there to the scanning service. I'm concerned that too many people with the same surname at the family address may mean that my mail is not accurately picked out and redirected
3 - try and change all addresses to a friend's address and then redirect from there.

And thoughts or inputs appreciated.

Hippacrocapig - what is a 'national redirect'? And how does that differ and still work after the Royal Mail 2yr maximum?

Hippacrocapig Mar 4th 2014 11:44 am

After two years you can't use the international redirection so you use domestic/national redirection within the uk

mylife98 Mar 4th 2014 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Hippacrocapig (Post 11157580)
After two years you can't use the international redirection so you use domestic/national redirection within the uk

Ah, is the two year limit on redirection only applicable to international forwarding, not national internal UK redirection? National redirection can go on for longer?

Hippacrocapig Mar 4th 2014 12:37 pm

Not sure on time limit but I'm a year on