Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Magic Kingdom Strikes Again

Magic Kingdom Strikes Again

Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:55 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Magic Kingdom Strikes Again

[QUOTE=The Dean;8126032]Orange jujus or grapefruit jujus?

Massachusetts was still convicting people of witchcraft in the early years of the 20th century.
QUOTE]

Interesting. I know of the Salem witch trials of the 17th century, but in the 20th century? Can you tell me about it?

The UK last convicted someone under the 17th century witchcraft act in 1944, but that was largely a pretext to prosecute someone for fraudulent clairvoyant powers during WWII.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:19 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
No she's not.

UK has many extreme problems, many of which include extreme violence which is NOT punished appropriately, if at all. (OK not beheading, or flogging or hand chopping, but read the papers, theres lots of nasty stuff going on - regularly). UK citizens (obviously) still choose to live there.

I don't think Alexa is loyal to the Saudi regime, she just tries to put forward a viewpoint to explain why people still find it an OK place to live and work.
Stop being such a plonker. We only read about bad stuff in the UK because it actually gets reported. What we hear about in KSA is just the tip of the iceberg. They will only change if people like us complain about their judicial system and bring it to the attention of those within the country with proper internet access.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
my mate just got back from Oman with his Arab girlfriend and apparently black magic is really big over there.
that will be the big mix of Arab and African Culture in Oman
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Banker_Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lionheart
Stop being such a plonker. We only read about bad stuff in the UK because it actually gets reported. What we hear about in KSA is just the tip of the iceberg. They will only change if people like us complain about their judicial system and bring it to the attention of those within the country with proper internet access.
Lionheart .. i'm just a newbie in these parts but can't help but think that it's not US that should be complaining, or for that matter, doing anything in a country (and a culture) that has it's own customs, rules, laws and traditions. I would not expect anyone other than British citizens can or should determine what happens in the UK so what right do we have as 'visitors' to complain about the way the KSA works? (I'm not saying I agree with the system but we're not there to change it).

Alexa' earlier post says it all .. earn your money, enjoy it as much as you can along the way, and when the time is right ... go home.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:19 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Banker_Boy
Lionheart .. i'm just a newbie in these parts but can't help but think that it's not US that should be complaining, or for that matter, doing anything in a country (and a culture) that has it's own customs, rules, laws and traditions. I would not expect anyone other than British citizens can or should determine what happens in the UK so what right do we have as 'visitors' to complain about the way the KSA works? (I'm not saying I agree with the system but we're not there to change it).

Alexa' earlier post says it all .. earn your money, enjoy it as much as you can along the way, and when the time is right ... go home.
Were you an ostrich in a previous life? Burying your head in the sand hardly solves anything.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:26 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Do I now have to find an equally rude (and pathetic) name for you before responding.

No, not worth it.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Banker_Boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Were you an ostrich in a previous life? Burying your head in the sand hardly solves anything.
you've missed my point completely .. there are lots of things that you and I might perceive as wrong or in need of change but the laws and customs of a country remain the responsibility of that country and it's ruling authorities. We can't measure right or wrong on our personal yardsticks ... we're fortunate to come from the UK and we tend to look at the Saudi's as backward or unorthodox, even barbaric. But it's not our fight!

(ps: if I was being an ostrich I wouldn't be posting here and trying to get you to see some sense, now would I ??)
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:37 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Banker_Boy

good point and i agree. Screw them for the cash and then leave.

Some people like the place, whats so hard to comprehend?

I wouldnt ever take my family there, but that is a personal choice

different strokes for different folks...
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

What is to be solved if the nationals are happy with the way things are?

Are you suggesting we (re-)colonise them?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:53 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy

we could relocate them all...

to Uranus
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:38 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
we could relocate them all...

to Uranus
Lionheart?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond reputeNic1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy

An awful lot of them aren't happy tho - but it is a very delicate balance as Alexa said of keeping the hardliners happy and trying to move forward. So many Saudis - both make and female - are now being educated in the West they find it hard to return to Saudi to live in such restricted circumstances. But they are afraid of saying anything out loud.

I woulnd't want to go back permanently, but I have a lot of time and respect for the Saudis who are mostly nice people living in difficult circumstances.

Obviously they do have their fair share of loonies . . . .

N
Old Nov 27th 2009, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Bonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud ofBonny Boy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nic1
An awful lot of them aren't happy tho - but it is a very delicate balance as Alexa said of keeping the hardliners happy and trying to move forward. So many Saudis - both make and female - are now being educated in the West they find it hard to return to Saudi to live in such restricted circumstances. But they are afraid of saying anything out loud.

I woulnd't want to go back permanently, but I have a lot of time and respect for the Saudis who are mostly nice people living in difficult circumstances.

Obviously they do have their fair share of loonies . . . .

N
I agree with you - I was trying to say that it's up to them to sort their own country out - the absence of action, however difficult that may be, gives the impression they are happy with the state of affairs.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spugsy
my mate just got back from Oman with his Arab girlfriend and apparently black magic is really big over there.
My old man used to be into Black Magic, but now he prefers Just Brazils.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 2:56 pm
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar
My old man used to be into Black Magic, but now he prefers Just Brazils.
so what is your ethnicity then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.