British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Looking to work in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/looking-work-dubai-486884/)

Barrie Oct 12th 2007 3:25 pm

Looking to work in Dubai

Hi All, I currently live in Aberdeen Scotland and after long discussions with my good wife, we have decided we would very much like to move to Dubai to live and work. My problem is I really do not know where to start looking for work. I feel that with my background in Oil & Gas and Personnel Recruitment, there should be a slot for me.

Any assistance anyone can offer would be much appreciated. Cheers, Barrie.

Bob Oct 12th 2007 4:22 pm

Re: Looking to work in Dubai

Read the wiki.

And welcome to BE :)

Blue Cat Oct 12th 2007 6:49 pm

Contact Petrofac :thumbup:

expat.brat Oct 12th 2007 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5418099)
Contact Petrofac :thumbup:

Make five posts then contact Petrofac :thumbup:

Blue Cat Oct 13th 2007 5:35 am

I meant the actually company Petrofac, their head office is in Aberdeen but for some reason all their employees appear to be here :)

lionheart Oct 13th 2007 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Barrie (Post 5417355)
Hi All, I currently live in Aberdeen Scotland and after long discussions with my good wife, we have decided we would very much like to move to Dubai to live and work. My problem is I really do not know where to start looking for work. I feel that with my background in Oil & Gas and Personnel Recruitment, there should be a slot for me.

Any assistance anyone can offer would be much appreciated. Cheers, Barrie.

The oil has effectively run out in Dubai so why not try Abu Dhabi instead?

jvr20 Oct 13th 2007 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5419624)
I meant the actually company Petrofac, their head office is in Aberdeen but for some reason all their employees appear to be here :)

not strictly true - the main engineering design work is here in Sharjah. North Sea operations are naturally hq'd in ABZ! Also design offices in Woking, Mumbai and Chennai and site offices pretty much everywhere :)

Barrie Oct 14th 2007 5:18 pm

Cheers for the guidance to all those who gave it. Some good pointers to get me started. I do think Petrofac will be my first port of call, but if anyone can tell me any other big Oil & Gas related companies in Dubai, it would be much appreciated.
Barrie.

Blue Cat Oct 14th 2007 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by jvr20 (Post 5420268)
not strictly true - the main engineering design work is here in Sharjah. North Sea operations are naturally hq'd in ABZ! Also design offices in Woking, Mumbai and Chennai and site offices pretty much everywhere :)

sorry meant Sharjah :) but the ladies I meet are in Dubai, their husbands are in Sharjah :)

jvr20 Oct 15th 2007 4:23 am

Originally Posted by Barrie (Post 5423921)
Cheers for the guidance to all those who gave it. Some good pointers to get me started. I do think Petrofac will be my first port of call, but if anyone can tell me any other big Oil & Gas related companies in Dubai, it would be much appreciated.
Barrie.

If you can stomach the idea, Halliburton has moved over here (in fears that they may in future be an attempt by the American people to hold them accountable). Otherwise just google it! :)

Desert Dweller Oct 15th 2007 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Barrie (Post 5417355)
...... I currently live in Aberdeen Scotland......

Furry Boots?

Barrie Oct 16th 2007 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Desert Dweller (Post 5425997)
Furry Boots?

North of Aberdeen in a village called Crimond.

Cham128 Oct 16th 2007 1:27 pm

I know people that were looking into halliburton over there and in the end they just couldn't stomach the thought of doing it lol...

one thing i would say though is don't try getting into the big *british* company out there as my sources tell me they're reviewing all the expats in the UAE because they're not sure why they're paying them so much to be out there

Emerald_Eyes Oct 16th 2007 1:49 pm

You could try Dragon Oil, a London and Dublin listed mid cap oil and gas company based in Dubai. Have a look at the career section on the website.

Barrie Oct 16th 2007 2:31 pm

Cheers Emerald.
I have already looked at Dragon and they do look like a potential. Thanks for the message.