Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Looking to relocate to the Middle East. Seeking advice.

Looking to relocate to the Middle East. Seeking advice.

Old Jul 24th 2011, 11:48 am
Just Joined

ollyfinn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking to relocate to the Middle East. Seeking advice.

Hi everyone,

I work in the Oil and Gas industry and I am looking at starting the process of applying for jobs in the Middle East. I looking for answers to a few questions and would be grateful of any help.

To give a bit of background information I am an unmarried man, I co-habit with my girlfriend in the UK, neither of us have any kind of criminal record, neither of us have any bad credit history or debts and we both currently work full time. The one questionable issue is that my girlfriend is married to somebody else and is waiting for a 2 year separation to end before getting a divorce. This has approximately 12 more months to run. We want to relocate together and want to know what our options are.

Some of the queries I have are:

1. Can somebody please explain "Married Status" jobs to me? I presume its as it say it is and is only applicable to husbands and wives or can it apply to unmarried couples who co-habit? Is there a minimum time you need to be married before you can apply for this type of job?

Also are married status jobs just ones anyone can apply for but you only get the extra benefits if you meet the criteria?

2. I am looking at working in either Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, Dubai, Saudi Arabia or Kuwait. I am wondering what type of background checks are carried out for relocating to any of these countries? Will my girlfriends situation affect her chances of relocating, i.e. does she need to be divorced before we can move together?

3. If I find work and she doesnt can she still relocate with me or do we both need jobs to be allowed to live in any of the said countries?

4. We are looking to start a family. How easy would it be to relocate with a child/children?

Any info would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Olly
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:20 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to relocate to the Middle East. Seeking advice.

Originally Posted by ollyfinn
Hi everyone,

I work in the Oil and Gas industry and I am looking at starting the process of applying for jobs in the Middle East. I looking for answers to a few questions and would be grateful of any help.

To give a bit of background information I am an unmarried man, I co-habit with my girlfriend in the UK, neither of us have any kind of criminal record, neither of us have any bad credit history or debts and we both currently work full time. The one questionable issue is that my girlfriend is married to somebody else and is waiting for a 2 year separation to end before getting a divorce. This has approximately 12 more months to run. We want to relocate together and want to know what our options are.

Some of the queries I have are:

1. Can somebody please explain "Married Status" jobs to me? I presume its as it say it is and is only applicable to husbands and wives or can it apply to unmarried couples who co-habit? Is there a minimum time you need to be married before you can apply for this type of job?

Also are married status jobs just ones anyone can apply for but you only get the extra benefits if you meet the criteria?

2. I am looking at working in either Abu Dhabi, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman, Dubai, Saudi Arabia or Kuwait. I am wondering what type of background checks are carried out for relocating to any of these countries? Will my girlfriends situation affect her chances of relocating, i.e. does she need to be divorced before we can move together?

3. If I find work and she doesnt can she still relocate with me or do we both need jobs to be allowed to live in any of the said countries?

4. We are looking to start a family. How easy would it be to relocate with a child/children?

Any info would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Olly
in your case talking about married status jobs is premature. you'll not be moving here with your married to someone else girlfriend in a hurry that's for sure. well you could of course if you both had separate jobs with different sponsors, but oh my god would you be done if you get caught..

as for answers:

1. it only means that the sponsor will also sponsor and pay benefits for your wife and kids. things like flights, medical insurance, school fees and so on. there is usually no requirement to have been married for any length of time (that i'm aware of)

2. i think i have answered this already in my lead-in paragraph. uae is probably the most lenient of the countries on that list, but still you will go to jail if you get caught.

3. same answer as for number 2.

4. easy. lots of people do it. i moved here with one kid and had another while on-site. kids are hard work regardless of location mate.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the response.

Lets speculate on a few scenarios if I had an offer of work in say Abu Dhabi.

Scenario 1

Me not married
Girlfriend NOT yet divorced
Girlfriend with no job offer

Would she be able to come out to live with me at all if i financially supported us both?

Scenario 2

Me not married
Girlfriend DIVORCED
Girlfriend with no job offer

Would she be able to come out to live with me at all if i financially supported us both?

Scenario 3

Me not married
Girlfriend divorced
Girlfriend also with a job offer

Scenario 4

Me and my girlfriend married
Only me with a job offer

Scenario 5 - Guess this would be perfect situation!

Me and girlfriend married
Both of us with job offer

I know this is all very vague but without going into a lot of personal details my girlfriends divorce from her husband could be brought forward if required its just more amicable for her to go via the two year separation route.

I am trying to get all possibilities straight in my head before submitting any applications and declaring my current situation to any prospective employers.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 12:56 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

There are others on this forum with more AD specific information/guidance, but let me give you some feedback on a general middle east basis.

Scenario 1; As far as the AD goverment is concerned your girlfriend does not exist. You cannot sponsor her, but she can theoretically stay with you (on a tourist visa) as long as you pay for everything. However you are not legally allowed to co-habit (as you are not married) and since she is also married to someone else you could be in what I would classify as serious shit. I have no idea what could happen but if you were lucky it would be restricted to a short jail sentence, getting fired and deported. If you are unlucky..who knows? You would be in a place of uncertainty and they could do anything..

Scenario 2; Same as Scenario 1 really, but the punishment is likely to be slightly less severe. However you will still go to jail, get fired and deported.

Scenario 3; As far as the AD government is concerned you are two people on separate sponsorships in different jobs. You are not legally allowed to co-habit, but I'm sure people do. If you get caught you will be in trouble. Jail, getting fired and deportation likely (for both of you).

Scenario 4; If you earn enough to pay the bills then why not. Preferable with married status contract as you will get benefits for your wife that you will have to pay for out of your own pocket if you don't.

Scenario 5; Great. What's stopping you? (not taking into consideration the terms of any of the job offers etc of course)
Old Jul 24th 2011, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for that Norsk.

Anyone with any other info please get in touch.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

You havent considered Scenario 6

You single.

Girlfriend is dumped in the UK along with her pre and post divorce emotional baggage

You cohabit every weekend with oriental chick or expat teacher from Ireland. Preferably the former as less likely to be a nutcase

No stress and much happiness

6 is the answer
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:36 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by Tockalosh

You single.

Girlfriend is dumped in the UK along with her pre and post divorce emotional baggage

You cohabit every weekend with oriental chick or expat teacher from Ireland. Preferably the former as less likely to be a nutcase

6 is the answer
Definitely stay away from Irish women...
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tockalosh

You single.

6 is the answer
Ha ha ha!

Like your thought process!
Old Jul 24th 2011, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

6 months here and you will be the same

Now just show the post to your girlfriend and watch her start to sweat a little
Old Aug 21st 2011, 1:04 am
Just Joined

umar.m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am looking to emigrate from the UK to UAE. I would obviously need a job and was wondering if anyone could help on this website.

I am looking to move to Dubai or Abu Dhabi. I have been to the UAE a number of times on vacation and really enjoy living there. However to move over permanently I need a secure job. Guys i would really appreciate your help.

I’ve been online recruitment agencies but don’t find them useful. I am registered on Gulf Talent but applications are not successful. Looking forward to hear from people on this forum. Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2011, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by umar.m
Hello,

I am looking to emigrate from the UK to UAE. I would obviously need a job and was wondering if anyone could help on this website.

I am looking to move to Dubai or Abu Dhabi. I have been to the UAE a number of times on vacation and really enjoy living there. However to move over permanently I need a secure job. Guys i would really appreciate your help.

I’ve been online recruitment agencies but don’t find them useful. I am registered on Gulf Talent but applications are not successful. Looking forward to hear from people on this forum. Thanks
It would help if you told us what line of work you are in
Welcome to the bored
Old Aug 21st 2011, 3:22 am
Just Joined

umar.m is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Looking to relocate to the Middle East. Seeking advice.

I am a Graduate in Crminology and do voluntary work for the police in the UK.

I am currently employed by a Building society and work as a Mortgage Arrears Counsellor. Have previously worked for a water company doing similar work.

I also have experience in recruiting and training call centre staff. Getting a Job in the UK is really hard, too many people are unemployed and when a decent job is advertised, it is usually given to someone who has more experience. Therefore I have been sticking to the jobs that I have had unless I had to move around.

I am lookking for any type of challenging and rewarding career with a professional orgqnisation. I dont mind starting on a low scale job and then work my way up as long as it covers me financially to live in the UAE.

I hope this helps.

Looking forward to some replies. Thanks
Old Aug 25th 2011, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

Dubec is an unknown quantity at this point

I am UK based 53 year old with around 30 year career in IT.
After 2 years of sitting on my backside hoping for things to improve for me, I am now thinking maybe there are opportunities in Dubai. I have visited Dubai twice, more recently in May.
I am not fussed about it being a job in IT. Anything middle management is ideal where I can use my grey cells. What are my chances of finiding a job?
Old Aug 25th 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubec
I am UK based 53 year old with around 30 year career in IT.
After 2 years of sitting on my backside hoping for things to improve for me, I am now thinking maybe there are opportunities in Dubai. I have visited Dubai twice, more recently in May.
I am not fussed about it being a job in IT. Anything middle management is ideal where I can use my grey cells. What are my chances of finiding a job?
Become an IT 'consultant' and try peddling your wares.
Old Oct 13th 2011, 12:15 pm
Just Joined

ServerCool will become famous soon enoughServerCool will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Have a job offer in Riyadh

Hi This is the first time I have sent anything on here so Hi to all and I hope I am in the correct area!.

I was was wondering if anyone could advise me please.

I have been offered a position in Riyadh for 3 years via one of our group companies through our Saudi company. I am aware of the Iqama situation and Medical I will need once I am in Saudi. I am in the process of having a medical here in the UK via my GP and will get this stamped once my blood test results are back in by the FCO.
Can anyone please advise what type of Visa I need to apply for in the UK for Saudi as I see the Work visa only lasts for 3 months? Do you need to reapply for this every 3 months or when you receive your Iqama there will be no need to reapply?
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.