Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Looking to relocate to Dubai for a few years

Looking to relocate to Dubai for a few years

Old Apr 9th 2019, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking to relocate to Dubai for a few years

If you have friends and family in Dubai then you need to be visiting. Spend a few weeks, take time to absorb the bigger picture. Maybe try and do some Chamber of Commerce meets or other networking. You'll be much better prepared with some first hand info. Reality vs the internet, not much of a comparison. You'll soon know if its a realistic expectation and desire.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

pratt123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by martinbkk
If you have friends and family in Dubai then you need to be visiting. Spend a few weeks, take time to absorb the bigger picture. Maybe try and do some Chamber of Commerce meets or other networking. You'll be much better prepared with some first hand info. Reality vs the internet, not much of a comparison. You'll soon know if its a realistic expectation and desire.
Sounds like a good idea. Will see if we can plan something and explore networking opportunities. Any recruitment agencies as well that you'd recommend I get in touch with - ones that perhaps deal with British expats specifically interested in moving to Dubai/UAE?

Many thanks!
Old Apr 9th 2019, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pratt123
Sounds like a good idea. Will see if we can plan something and explore networking opportunities. Any recruitment agencies as well that you'd recommend I get in touch with - ones that perhaps deal with British expats specifically interested in moving to Dubai/UAE?

Many thanks!
Those agencies don't really exisit...One question you need to think over is why are you better than someone who is already here?

my guess is most of the people posting here (who are all long term expats) probably came here from the UK with an employer. Few showed up with a suitcase.

I came here on the 2008 lifeboat and joined a client. I moved from a bank to a consultancy two years prior with this specific idea in mind. Again I already knew my new employee and had worked for them.

Back in 2008 the labour market was very tight and people did try to recruit directly from the UK. Now this is not the case unless it's a very specific skill they are after (ie we recruited a CEO from the UK on a portfolio company but this is rare).

Last edited by Millhouse; Apr 9th 2019 at 11:59 am.
Old Apr 9th 2019, 8:09 pm
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Those agencies don't really exisit...One question you need to think over is why are you better than someone who is already here?

my guess is most of the people posting here (who are all long term expats) probably came here from the UK with an employer. Few showed up with a suitcase.

I came here on the 2008 lifeboat and joined a client. I moved from a bank to a consultancy two years prior with this specific idea in mind. Again I already knew my new employee and had worked for them.

Back in 2008 the labour market was very tight and people did try to recruit directly from the UK. Now this is not the case unless it's a very specific skill they are after (ie we recruited a CEO from the UK on a portfolio company but this is rare).
Millhouse has hit the nail on the head.

What do you have that hundreds of cheaper Asians don’t have?

TBH, what they don’t have likely won’t compensate for the additional cost of hiring you.

Hard, but fair...
Old Apr 10th 2019, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

ryanzz is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently got job in Dubai from London through a recruiter who contacted me out of blue just because i applied for a different role a year ago. I think its not easy to get job remotely until l and unless your skills are in high demand. But that does not mean its impossible you have to keep trying again and again. If you are earning 150k and not saving then you will not save even if you are earning 200k. Remember Warren Buffet “Do not save what is left after spending; instead spend what is left after saving.”
Old Apr 12th 2019, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ryanzz
I recently got job in Dubai from London through a recruiter who contacted me out of blue just because i applied for a different role a year ago. I think its not easy to get job remotely until l and unless your skills are in high demand. But that does not mean its impossible you have to keep trying again and again. If you are earning 150k and not saving then you will not save even if you are earning 200k. Remember Warren Buffet “Do not save what is left after spending; instead spend what is left after saving.”
That's encouraging. It's less to do with saving, more to do with the quality of life really. Money doesn't go a long way here tbh! Although, I mustn't take for granted a lot of things too I'm aware...

Thanks all for your suggestions, been very helpful!
Old Apr 12th 2019, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Lul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pratt123
That's encouraging. It's less to do with saving, more to do with the quality of life really. Money doesn't go a long way here tbh! Although, I mustn't take for granted a lot of things too I'm aware...

Thanks all for your suggestions, been very helpful!
So would you rather have a better quality of life or have enough savings? Would you rather live the moment at Kite beach in Dubai or save for a rainy day in London? The two are mutually exclusive unfortunately.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lul37

So would you rather have a better quality of life or have enough savings? Would you rather live the moment at Kite beach in Dubai or save for a rainy day in London? The two are mutually exclusive unfortunately.
As it stands, I'd prefer the better quality of life in Dubai for a few years (say 5). As I said, I've got quite a few friends and family there that I hardly get to see often, so would be a big positive change if we can move there as a family, with both my wife and I working, and get to live there for a few years along with our daughter.

Moreover, we did the hard grind and saved up last several years, so touchwood, we've got something to show for it and to use on a rainy day (nothing major, couple of houses here but not in London obv, clearly couldn't afford that! )

I'm guessing if we earn around 50-60k between us (so say 30k per head which I think isn't overly ambitious) should still be decent enough to get by comfortably hopefully? Clearly, what I don't know is how realistic that is to achieve and how to go about it.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ask about quality of life in July. Or during a sandstorm. Or better a sandstorm in July .

That said, it's better here. But not everyone sees it that way.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The two are mutually exclusive unfortunately.
they really are not. Both are possible in Dubai and London.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

Lul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond reputeLul37 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking in pounds or in dirhams? And do you mean 60k yearly or monthly? It depends on what you consider a ‘good standard’ of living.

Probably Millhouse would be better able to tell you how far 60k would go over here in Dubai and if you think that’s good enough for you, then definitely go for it if you’re not worried about savings.

Our family income (2 adults, 2 school aged kids) is around 100k GBP per year and my partner is utterly depressed because he can’t save at all due to the high costs of living in Dubai (such as the school fees and rent). We have a mortgage in London and we aren’t paying enough to cover it. So if we had to downgrade we are better off living London -or so he says!!!

Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Millhouse
they really are not. Both are possible in Dubai and London.
Maybe for lucky intelligent guys like you on extremely good packages. But that is not the norm.
Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Are you talking in pounds or in dirhams? And do you mean 60k yearly or monthly? It depends on what you consider a ‘good standard’ of living.

Probably Millhouse would be better able to tell you how far 60k would go over here in Dubai and if you think that’s good enough for you, then definitely go for it if you’re not worried about savings.

Our family income (2 adults, 2 school aged kids) is around 100k GBP per year and my partner is utterly depressed because he can’t save at all due to the high costs of living in Dubai (such as the school fees and rent). We have a mortgage in London and we aren’t paying enough to cover it. So if we had to downgrade we are better off living London -or so he says!!!

I was referring to 60k dirhams per month, which would equate to around 150k GBP but obviously 150k gbp NET. To get that that kind of money in the UK, we would need to earn a lot lot more....

@ Millhouse - Would you say based on your experience, 30k per person salary is reasonably achievable? I know it's pretty subjective and vague, sorry, but just want to understand if that level of salary is average for someone coming from here etc..
Old Apr 12th 2019, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

See it from an employer's perspective " Why shoulkd I hire you when for a third of your salary i could hire a Filipino or Pakistani who would be just as competent and much more subservient ?"
Old Apr 12th 2019, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
See it from an employer's perspective " Why shoulkd I hire you when for a third of your salary i could hire a Filipino or Pakistani who would be just as competent and much more subservient ?"
International experience in FTSE 100 companies?

Alternatively , Charisma and Chutzpah? That'd seal the deal no? ;-)

Last edited by pratt123; Apr 12th 2019 at 2:06 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.