Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new car in Doha - Inspire me !!

Looking for a new car in Doha - Inspire me !!

Old Jan 19th 2014, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Costacoffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for a new car in Doha - Inspire me !!

Looking for my first decent and sharming car in Doha - actually impressed by the Bmw 320i or the lexus 350 if it has to be Jepanese although I prefer Bmw..Please share your thoughts and tips as I aslo do not want to hit the brick wall when it comes to bmw servicing and spare parts in lovely Qatar...
Old Jan 19th 2014, 4:49 pm
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for a new car in Doha - Inspire me !!

Consider a Nissan Altima, 2013 model, 2.2 litre for QAR 72k (or 5-10% less during Ramadan). Whatever you buy, it will get wrecked in Doha, or you'll be sitting in a traffic jam, so buy something practical and save the cash.

Me, a Nissan Sunny rental does the job. Just as fast as a Ferrari in Doha.

Not inspiring, I know, but squirrel the cash and be inspiring somewhere else.

Last edited by Johnnyboy11; Jan 19th 2014 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 7:06 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Costacoffee
Looking for my first decent and sharming car in Doha - actually impressed by the Bmw 320i or the lexus 350 if it has to be Jepanese although I prefer Bmw..Please share your thoughts and tips as I aslo do not want to hit the brick wall when it comes to bmw servicing and spare parts in lovely Qatar...
Depends on what you want to spend as used car values here are high. Avoid BMW here as thet have the worst service department of a bad bunch in Doha - Mercedes C Class far better option and far more desirable. Avoid any lexus 250 unless its an Is.

I would rather use taxis than ever drive a dull as dishwater Jap car.........

Also make sure you will be here for a year + or I would recommend renting any longer, buy - a shit box will cost you 2k a month to rent - that will buy you a sunny in 2 years that you will probably get 30k for selling it.
Old Jan 20th 2014, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

scarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of lightscarletfanagain is a glorious beacon of light

Apologies for jumping on this thread, however, I need some advice please guys!

Situation - my wife, our 7month old daughter and I recently landed in Doha. I have a car via work, wife needs some wheels, but not until my RP is sorted out. Not sure what, where to purchase etc. Thinking along the lines of a Pajero, unclear whether or not used or new, leaning towards new at the moment. If I wanted a used 4x4, circa 1 max 2 years old, are there any reputable, reliable used car showrooms around the place?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Venezuelan007 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by britexpat76
Depends on what you want to spend as used car values here are high. Avoid BMW here as thet have the worst service department of a bad bunch in Doha - Mercedes C Class far better option and far more desirable. Avoid any lexus 250 unless its an Is.

I would rather use taxis than ever drive a dull as dishwater Jap car.........

Also make sure you will be here for a year + or I would recommend renting any longer, buy - a shit box will cost you 2k a month to rent - that will buy you a sunny in 2 years that you will probably get 30k for selling it.
Hi britexpat76, seems like you are in the cars business or close. Is there a factor of depreciation for used cars?, lets say by km and age, or is the price of resale cars just dictated by the market itself?

I am doing the numbers and renting for 2-2.5k for 2 years will buy me a 2014 toyota yaris, which then I could resale, but not sure for how much.

Also, are there any hidden costs in the prices you see online? besides insurance and registration. Are there sales taxes, commissions or something else?
Old Jan 20th 2014, 3:55 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Venezuelan007
Hi britexpat76, seems like you are in the cars business or close. Is there a factor of depreciation for used cars?, lets say by km and age, or is the price of resale cars just dictated by the market itself?

I am doing the numbers and renting for 2-2.5k for 2 years will buy me a 2014 toyota yaris, which then I could resale, but not sure for how much.

Also, are there any hidden costs in the prices you see online? besides insurance and registration. Are there sales taxes, commissions or something else?
This is the Arabic way, think the Americans are similar where you pluck a figure out of the air to ask for your car then negotiate. Forget the list prices for Toyota and Nissan as they are the worst offenders for this. Forget the Yaris, its like the Micra here, too small and people don't get it even though its Toyota, though you have the right thinking.

If a yaris is 50k new even if you lost 50% you still have 25k there you wouldn't have by renting - consider it another form of saving and an asset to sell when you leave.

The only fees incurred are the registration at the police station which is 200 chips. Just be very very careful with any car here, Have it inspected by someone like the German auto centre - Check paint, engine and gear & get a service history report from the dealer.