British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Looking for info on compounds in Kohbar (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/looking-info-compounds-kohbar-781687/)

lylegribbon Dec 27th 2012 2:18 pm

Looking for info on compounds in Kohbar

Hi everyone, just new to this forum and I was hoping someone could help me with compounds in Kohbar. I am working at Aramco JSTC in Mubarraz and I have been here since early December. I wasn't given much choice on where to live when I was dropped of and have been staying in an apartment which is not what I was expecting. Some of the guys I work with travel back and forth to Kohbar and stay in compounds there and I would feel better staying in one as well. I have been given the names of 3 and was wondering if anyone has stayed in or knows of someone who has. I have the Euro village and the Gulf compound as well as the Golden Belt, any info on these would be very much welcomed.:unsure:

scot47 Dec 27th 2012 3:54 pm

Re: Looking for info on compounds in Kohbar

I know Eurovillage and used to go from KFUPM to eat at the restaurant there. It is ok and is in a good location. (KHOBAR is the conventional transliteration from Arabic.)

lylegribbon Dec 27th 2012 5:44 pm

Thanks scot47. I'll look into it, much appreciated.

siddiqui Dec 28th 2012 8:08 pm

You can check Al Ferdouse Village Compound also

norsk Dec 30th 2012 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10451977)
I know Eurovillage and used to go from KFUPM to eat at the restaurant there. It is ok and is in a good location. (KHOBAR is the conventional transliteration from Arabic.)

Unless they have demolished and rebuilt Eurovillage in the last two years it is not okay for anyone else than those with exceptionally low standards. Built in the 70's and hardly renovated since then, tiny houses with bad lighting...You can do better for the same or lower cost! Try Zamil Village, Oasis Gardens or Al Rushaid 1 & 2...

scot47 Dec 30th 2012 4:31 pm

i have low standards. I liked the machine guns at the main entrance.

norsk Dec 30th 2012 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 10455805)
i have low standards. I liked the machine guns at the main entrance.

:rofl::rofl:

If armed guards are the requirement then any of the ones mentioned will do nicely. Any compound with more than 30% westerners will get the army rocking up outside IIRC. This is just one of the results of the 2004 Oasis Residence terrorist attacks in Khobar. :(

They used to have a massive cannon pointed at the cars wanting to enter the Meridien on the corniche as well. Used to make me more than a little nervous really..