British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Looking for a good real estate lawyer in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/looking-good-real-estate-lawyer-dubai-924140/)

InTheFire Apr 14th 2019 7:55 am

Looking for a good real estate lawyer in Dubai

Hi, I purchased a property in Dubai in 2014, was supposed to be completed end of 2015 but still waiting. Can someone please recommend me a good reliable lawyer ? I don't want to waste more money on useless lawyers or that property. Thanks

Millhouse Apr 14th 2019 1:07 pm

Re: Looking for a good real estate lawyer in Dubai

Originally Posted by InTheFire (Post 12670450)
Hi, I purchased a property in Dubai in 2014, was supposed to be completed end of 2015 but still waiting. Can someone please recommend me a good reliable lawyer ? I don't want to waste more money on useless lawyers or that property. Thanks

What outcome are you looking for?

If it's to get money back then it's probably all gone so you might be waisting your time unless it's a big developer. If it's to get off the hook of future repayments then my personal experience is to simpy default ... They don't (or at least didn't) have any recourse to you.

InTheFire Apr 14th 2019 5:28 pm

Yes, I want to recover around AED 500k. Not sure why you think it's gone because some cases win? can you please elaborate

TGFKASE Apr 15th 2019 5:58 am

Originally Posted by InTheFire (Post 12670696)
Yes, I want to recover around AED 500k. Not sure why you think it's gone because some cases win? can you please elaborate

As Millhouse said, if its one of the big developers (Emaar, Nakheel etc), it may be worth chasing.

If not, it would probably be throwing good money after bad...

Millhouse Apr 15th 2019 7:15 am

Originally Posted by InTheFire (Post 12670696)

In short, you can’t recover what they don’t have. Hope it’s a big developer.

InTheFire Apr 15th 2019 7:30 am

The developer is Tanmiyat, they still have running projects but very slow so the company hasn’t gone into liquidation.
why can’t they give me back what I paid if it all went into an escrow acc?
I had a lawyer send them legal notice but they didn’t bother to respond.
Biggest mistake to invest.....

jam25mack Apr 15th 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12670565)
What outcome are you looking for?
If it's to get off the hook of future repayments then my personal experience is to simpy default ... They don't (or at least didn't) have any recourse to you.

I wouldn't as they do. My mate recently had a free 3 week holiday at the central pokey thanks to defaulting on a real estate deal. When he left (several years ago) they still hadn't broken ground and he tried to get out of it but they were playing sneaky games so he just defaulted. Fast forward about 8 years later and him getting sent here from the UK for work. They let him in with not a blink but a week later when he tried to leave it was off to the big house. 100K to settle the debt and 100K to a lawyer and he was out. That was on top of what he had originally paid on the 'investment'.

As such, be careful.

Millhouse Apr 15th 2019 9:11 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12670971)
I wouldn't as they do. My mate recently had a free 3 week holiday at the central pokey thanks to defaulting on a real estate deal. When he left (several years ago) they still hadn't broken ground and he tried to get out of it but they were playing sneaky games so he just defaulted. Fast forward about 8 years later and him getting sent here from the UK for work. They let him in with not a blink but a week later when he tried to leave it was off to the big house. 100K to settle the debt and 100K to a lawyer and he was out. That was on top of what he had originally paid on the 'investment'.

As such, be careful.

ouch.

I defaulted in Abu Dhabi in 2008. I actually had legal advise at the time (our in house counsel used to work for the developer and knew of the issue). After a few years of chasing they said I could come in and just sign a clearance letter. All was good. They were in default to and wanted rid of me as much as I wanted rid of them.

Millhouse Apr 15th 2019 9:14 am

Originally Posted by InTheFire (Post 12670938)
The developer is Tanmiyat, they still have running projects but very slow so the company hasn’t gone into liquidation.
why can’t they give me back what I paid if it all went into an escrow acc?
I had a lawyer send them legal notice but they didn’t bother to respond.
Biggest mistake to invest.....

Don’t be fooled by escrow. While that means the money hasn’t been used on another project it does not mean that the money hasn’t been used on your partially completed development. What it does mean is that if you sue you are limited to your little escrow pot and not the larger pot of another project.

Get advice and keep your expectations low. For what it’s worth you didn’t invest in real estate here as there is no such thing as the word investment implies it is worth something - you spent some money on real estate.