Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

looking for accomodation in Abu Dhabi

looking for accomodation in Abu Dhabi

Old Jun 27th 2008, 11:33 am
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: looking for accomodation in Abu Dhabi

Originally Posted by Marco78
ok eva thanks a lot.
Since my company will pay the hotel for 15 days and then it will be up to me, do you think it's feasible to find an apartment within 2 weeks after arriving in AD?
If you see an apartment take it straight away do not go away and think about it or it will be gone!
Also you may not get to see many apartments and get a choice. Most seem to be 3 bedrooms here. It is very hard to fins a two bedroom place. You may just be lucky you never know!
Try looking at the websites for hotels and apartment hotels in Abu dhabi and get an idea of the prices should you need to stay somewhere while looking for your apartment. Your company may pay your housing allowance to you which you can use for an extended stay in the hotel. We were in a hotel for 8 weeks before our apartment was ready to move in!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Marco78 is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you guys! It's not nice to hear all these infos but it's better to know them in advance! I've just send an email to my head hunter, in order to know if usually my AD employer offer some relocation service in addition to the 15 days paid in an hotel.....I cross my fingers....
Of course, should you hear of some available apartment, let me know!! you can email me at [email protected]
Thanks
M.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

A friend who used to live in Dubai suggested me the following link:

http://www.gnads4u.com/properties

if you search for "abu dhabi", "rent" and "maximium price = 100k Aed" you'll find out there are a lot of option available. Even with less than 80k there are a lot of apartments available . Please note that the advertisings are published very recently! So which is the truth? It's possible to find a decent solution with 80k - 100k or it is only a dream?

Also, in this site (that is only for UAE housing) there's the search option of "sharing accomodation" ... but wasn't it illegal???

Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

This is an electronic version of the classified ads that appear in the local press. You will find that most of these advertised apartments will already have been rented by the time you call (if indeed they actually exist) and are just a scam for less scrupulous agents (that will ask for a fee) to get you on thier books. The Dubai market is a completely different market.

Based on the advice I got on this very forum, I only used recommended letting agents to view and never agreed to pay a "viewing fee" for any apartment, which is illegal.

Sharing with the opposite sex unless you are married or a close family relative is strictly illegal. However, thre are plenty mixed shares - you should just be discrete about it if that is what you want to do - and many do!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 1:40 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

From what I understand,as far a s AD goes 'Sharing' is at the Landlord's discretion.He can advertise for tenants in a flat share situation however a tenant cannot advertise for a sharer.This would be sub-letting and illegal. Mostly large flats with sharing arrangements are let to Companies by Landlords-saves them time,money and effort in drawing up individual contracts. In large villas,owner/Landlord has to apply for permission to partition in order to use as house of multiple occupancy.Always ask to see
documents pertaining to permission before you sign anything in such a scenario

Marco, are you replacing someone in your Company? Can't you take over their lease? Ask someone in the Company to find out if staff vacating -many people are assuming leases this way in AD.

Try and get your company to put you into a serviced apartment for about one month(15-17k per month) rather than a hotel.Even if you find an apartment in 15 days furnishing it and getting utilities on - tall order.
First thing to do on arrival is get Company to issue with letter stating your residence visa is in process as you will not be able to do much until visa comes through.Without this letter you will be able to do nothing at all!

As for newspaper ads and most Leasing Agent ads-a lot of them are fiction

AD is a great place and you will enjoy it- once you are over the hurdle of finding a suitable place to live
Buona Fortuna

Last edited by Eva; Jun 27th 2008 at 1:52 pm. Reason: sp
Old Jun 27th 2008, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Ah so sharing is illegal only if you do it with someone of the opposite sex that is not your husband/wife! It 's not illegal at all. Good to know!

Eva your post has been very useful to me. I will check with my employer if there's someone who's leaving and take over its lease! And I will ask for a furnished apartment for at least .... 2 month! Grazie mille (since you speack some Italian eheh)!!
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

sharing is illegal, you can only sublet with the owners permission, although it doesnt stop a lot of people doing it, needs must and all. i know that companies do it, but a certain airline here had their cabin crew sharing 3 bed apartments, but now they have moved them all out into their own 1 bed places instead, abiding by the law now.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 10:58 am
Just Joined

gentlejitsuka has a spectacular aura aboutgentlejitsuka has a spectacular aura aboutgentlejitsuka has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Chris79
One of my friends has just got a one bedroom apartment for 125AED.
That does include utilities though.. I think you can find that but much further out. That said I viewed two bds quite far out of the city still wanting 160K... It's part luck as well. I believe contract law here is based on droit civil, but you might not want to rely on things the way you would at home.

The housing situation will change month by month so you're probably a bit stuck until you get here.. unless your company is willing to put the lease in their name you might be able to negotiate putting you up in the hotel until at least your residency comes through.

Last edited by gentlejitsuka; Jun 28th 2008 at 11:06 am.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:32 pm
Here comes the Sun

twinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond reputetwinkle-star has a reputation beyond repute

En Sha Alla!