Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

long term living in Dubai

long term living in Dubai

Old Jun 30th 2008, 5:59 am
Just Joined

skyvan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: long term living in Dubai

First time I've been in the Top Ten for anything!!

Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

angelaj70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Border Reiver
And another really good piece of advice- come out and see the place, with your family, before you sign the contract. It will be the best money you have ever spent especially if you are planning on a long term move.
That is truly sound advice. I think it applies to many things: jobs, car rentals and property acquisition.

A few years ago I was so swept up by the hype in Dubai and Abu Dhabi, that I even considered buying property in Abu Dhabi (because it is cheaper than Dubai), but the contracts were absolutely incomprehensible!

Use a good lawyer, they are expensive, but it is more expensive not to get one!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

flyingcolours is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the good advice, i'll make sure i remember it when the time comes. thank you
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:46 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flyingcolours
Hello everyone
I'm considering moving to Dubai to work for Emirates airlines, initially my family are staying in the UK for two years whilst the youngest finishes school. If i move i'm giving up a comfortable local job would i be stupid to think of staying in Dubai for a long time ie, 20 yrs? Are there any long term people on this forum? Are you happy to have made the move?
I would be based at the airport so i guess living in the Burj area would be best for commuting? The company are paying 180k pa for accommodation, is this ok for a nice 2 bed apartment within 20-30 minutes drive of north side of airport?
Lots of questions, i hope someone can answer a few for me.
thanks in advance
I've been in the UAE perminantly since August 2000 and in Dubai up until the beginning of this year.

You're allowance can get you a 1-2 bedroom apartment but you will need to hunt around a bit. I have friend's who recently got a 2 bedroom place near Mall of the Emirates for AED120K and my real estate experience tells me there are places nearer the airport (Am thinking Mirdiff, Garhoud, Al Gusais) where you will be able to get something...living near the Burj puts the worst traffic between you and the airport so only look in that area if you fancy unpredictable journeys to work not to mention the place is a construction site right now with all the projects going up over the next few years.

Ultimately it depends what you're happy with. Most of the western expats I know coming over recently are not happy to live anywhere unless it's the Marina or some other landmark development and many are being taken for a ride by landlord's who are aware many have no idea they can get villas in some areas for the price of apartments in others and will even take out loans just to live in one of the "in" places...there is no serious housing shortage in Dubai (unlike Abu Dhabi, Dubai has plenty of empty units and more and more coming online every day) and so rents are motivated by greed and area demand...

Ultimately 180k is a pretty good housing allowance...I know plenty of people who get by on a lot less than that.

N
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:52 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flyingcolours
Just had a look at bhomes, you're correct 2.5m for a townhouse, looks like an apartment then, but would it be a safer investment with the property i have here(uk) or one in Dubai?
I get asked this a lot everyday as it's part of my job.

Investing here is a lot riskier than the UK for a myriad of reasons and I wouldn't suggest selling up back home to buy here...even money in the bank here isn't as safe as people think. There is a lot of spin and hype here which people fall for because they see all the shiny new towers and forget it's run by a patriarchal dictatorship with theocratic leanings in an unstable region.

However if you're planning to live here for a few years and can use your housing allowance to pay for a mortgage do so. 180K would get you something for around a million or so as long as you can come up with the deposit you'll be fine for sure...just keep your money offshore so if we all need to leave you're not losing anything except a place paid for by your company

N.