British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   long term living in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/long-term-living-dubai-545715/)

flyingcolours Jun 28th 2008 12:42 pm

long term living in Dubai

Hello everyone
I'm considering moving to Dubai to work for Emirates airlines, initially my family are staying in the UK for two years whilst the youngest finishes school. If i move i'm giving up a comfortable local job would i be stupid to think of staying in Dubai for a long time ie, 20 yrs? Are there any long term people on this forum? Are you happy to have made the move?
I would be based at the airport so i guess living in the Burj area would be best for commuting? The company are paying 180k pa for accommodation, is this ok for a nice 2 bed apartment within 20-30 minutes drive of north side of airport?
Lots of questions, i hope someone can answer a few for me.
thanks in advance

davebrahney Jun 28th 2008 12:48 pm

Re: long term living in Dubai

thats some accomadation allowance:ohmy:

Madam Medusa Jun 28th 2008 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by davebrahney (Post 6512852)
thats some accomadation allowance:ohmy:

it's not...!!

MM, xx

flyingcolours Jun 28th 2008 1:02 pm

Thats 180k AED !!

davebrahney Jun 28th 2008 1:05 pm

excuse me what a plonker. whats that in sterling:confused:

Madam Medusa Jun 28th 2008 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by flyingcolours (Post 6512878)
Thats 180k AED !!

...and your point is...??

MM, xx

davebrahney Jun 28th 2008 1:11 pm

not sure what you mean innocent question how much is it in pounds

Madam Medusa Jun 28th 2008 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by davebrahney (Post 6512897)
not sure what you mean innocent question how much is it in pounds

i wasn't talking to you...!!! divide by 7 will give you the sterling rate (about £26k)...

my point is that it's not a bad accomodation allowance, but it's not amazing, rents are extortionate here and getting ever steeper by the day...

MM, xx

davebrahney Jun 28th 2008 1:24 pm

keep your hair on is is the heat :D:D

Blue Cat Jun 28th 2008 1:43 pm

I have been here nearly 12 years, my parents about 17 years or thereabouts. Dubai isn't the same as it used to be, rising rent costs etc. As MM says 180k is good for an apartment but not a villa :( We don't plan on leaving for at least another 12 years but then you never know what's round the corner do you ;)

flyingcolours Jun 28th 2008 2:02 pm

no point.. Just asked some questions and got reply back that 180k was a lot of money when in fact it isn't much for rental in Dubai.

Thanks blue cat for a sensible none aggressive answer, so long term it's ok. I suppose once your there your salary will rise each year with inflation?

Blue Cat Jun 28th 2008 2:30 pm

if you are with Emirates yes your salary will rise each year and there is a bonus system in place too, this year I think they got 8 weeks salary as a bonus but don't quote me on that I might be wrong. The majority of my friends are long terms, most been here over 20 years. But when they came out here all that time ago it was a different place, no traffic, no greedy landlords etc. Most of them are heading to retirement in the next few years and I am sure they will move on. Getting the right package is the answer, get decent money and you will be happy. I am guessing you are thinking of coming here until you retire? Have you visited? do you think you could live here for 20 years?

flyingcolours Jun 28th 2008 2:39 pm

Hi BC, Yes i'm now 40+ so hoping for 20 yrs over there. I haven't visited yet, but hopefully i'll come over soon for a week to check it out.

Like you say the package is the key to whether it'll be an easy life or a constant struggle.

Do you think it would be better for me to sell my house here in the UK ( since house prices are now dropping) and buy a villa over in Dubai ( which hopefully is rising in price) and then rent somewhere here(UK) for my family to live in for two yrs?

I lived in Germany for 5 yrs so i think i could put up with life in Dubai after that !!

Blue Cat Jun 28th 2008 2:46 pm

I would say come over and have a look, you may very well change your mind about the whole thing. As for selling up in the UK and investing here, well that depends on the figures you are talking. Villa's here are pretty pricey to say the least and I hear that buying is an absolute nightmare. PLUS you can never guarantee anything. If you buy and then the Government decide to build a 6 lane motorway along your back door, then that's just tough. It is quite a bizarre place to say the least! We would have bought here a few years ago had we had the money, but I don't think we would now. All depends on the figures at the end of they day.

flyingcolours Jun 28th 2008 2:51 pm

I'd be looking at around 1-1.5m AED, so i wouldn't need a mortgage. What do you think?

I suppose if i lived in an apartment downtown somewhere the chances of being crushed by a road are less !!