Lockdown

Old Apr 18th 2020, 6:30 pm
  #106  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,877
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat View Post
I'm not going to post on this again until there is a societal consensus, but wanted to point out the following:
  • WHO in March - death rate estimated @ 6%,
  • Imperial College last week of March - death rate estimated @ less than 1%
  • University of Bonn - first week in April - death rate estimated @ 0.37% based on first serology study (more reliable)
  • Stanford University - third week in April - death rate estimated @ as low as 0.1%, based on second serology test (most reliable)
I'm sure we can all spot the trend and in time I believe current events will be seen as an overreaction of historic proportions. But meanwhile, let's continue to burn the world..

fear rate is 89pct tho
Millhouse is offline  
Old Apr 18th 2020, 10:55 pm
  #107  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 278
FriendlyExpat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
fear rate is 89pct tho
I'm not sure whether to laugh ... or cry
FriendlyExpat is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 6:30 am
  #108  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27,801
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
almost all the old villas on the road from city walk to satwa are high density labour accommodation. I’ve been in a couple and it’s easy to find six+ to a room. 10 Filipinos in a room in satwa is not uncommon. Remember that when you’re considering employing a live out housemaid/ cleaner.
Yeah, every administrator I've ever worked with here has been in shared accommodation in Deira (etc) paying for bed space, not a room.

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
Anyone seen the videos coming out of Naïf overnight?
Nope, what they showing?

Originally Posted by FriendlyExpat View Post
I'm sure we can all spot the trend and in time I believe current events will be seen as an overreaction of historic proportions. But meanwhile, let's continue to burn the world..
Imagine if the governments did nothing? It's one of those situations where they can't and won't win. I'd like to see the world open up again ASAP so we can get back to 'normal' but I'd also rather not have this germ.
Scamp is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 6:53 am
  #109  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,877
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Yeah, every administrator I've ever worked with here has been in shared accommodation in Deira (etc) paying for bed space, not a room.
As is almost every shopping assistant, waitress, delivery driver, taxi driver, cook, cleaner, receptionist, cashier etc. It's a difficult job to resolve. The labour accommodation of some of the cashiers is horrific.

Even the top-tier places have its staff in mass accommodation in Al Quoz. While the one I'm thinking of is actually very nice and clean, and density is low (2 to a room), they all eat together in the canteen and share shower blocks.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 6:56 am
  #110  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27,801
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
As is almost every shopping assistant, waitress, delivery driver, taxi driver, cook, cleaner, receptionist, cashier etc. It's a difficult job to resolve. The labour accommodation of some of the cashiers is horrific.

Even the top-tier places have its staff in mass accommodation in Al Quoz. While the one I'm thinking of is actually very nice and clean, and density is low (2 to a room), they all eat together in the canteen and share shower blocks.
I'm surprised it's not made international press to be honest. Would expect Channel 4 to have a documentary on it already.
Scamp is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 7:02 am
  #111  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,877
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
I'm surprised it's not made international press to be honest. Would expect Channel 4 to have a documentary on it already.
In fairness though, despite the structure problems, I think the government are doing a great job in clearing all this up. Organized, efficient and seemingly in control. Unlike pretty much anywhere else. But we really need to get back to work.

Millhouse is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 7:08 am
  #112  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27,801
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
In fairness though, despite the structure problems, I think the government are doing a great job in clearing all this up. Organized, efficient and seemingly in control. Unlike pretty much anywhere else. But we really need to get back to work.
Seen the testing stats? The UAE appears to be a world leader.

The shift in permits being one every 3 days now will help too. Looking out the window at the weekend it was far busier than it has been in recent weeks. People have been locked down for a while now - we must be 3ish weeks? People start to get restless. I know the people above me had a party at the weekend (I say party, I could hear more than just a few voices on the balcony).
Scamp is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 7:10 am
  #113  
BE Forum Addict
 
csdf's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,155
csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown


Updated piccies. Same data in both charts, just the right hand one uses a log scale.
In terms of doubling rates, US still numbah one. Plucky UK getting close though. For reference, in the UAE the doubling rate is roughly every 7.5 days but there's not really enough deaths (mash'allah) to have proper stats.
csdf is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 7:14 am
  #114  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
Thread Starter
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 15,877
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Seen the testing stats? The UAE appears to be a world leader.

The shift in permits being one every 3 days now will help too. Looking out the window at the weekend it was far busier than it has been in recent weeks. People have been locked down for a while now - we must be 3ish weeks? People start to get restless. I know the people above me had a party at the weekend (I say party, I could hear more than just a few voices on the balcony).
I've been at home since 12th March as I couldn't make the representation of no health problems to go to the office (I had a cold so wasn't allowed in). At least three of our neighbours had parties this weekend given the music, voices and BBQ smells in the gardens.
Millhouse is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 7:36 am
  #115  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27,801
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
I've been at home since 12th March as I couldn't make the representation of no health problems to go to the office (I had a cold so wasn't allowed in). At least three of our neighbours had parties this weekend given the music, voices and BBQ smells in the gardens.
Just looked at my calendar, we were told on the 15th March we could work from home. The next week we had freedom to exercise and we went out every morning I think, or at least most mornings. Then that was canned and it was confinement. I think I did almost two weeks before I went out again, have only been out twice since then as well, with permits those times.

I can dig it, I'm a lazy bastard and normally have to find reasons not to see other people or go places. Now I don't.
Scamp is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 9:28 am
  #116  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,017
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Just looked at my calendar, we were told on the 15th March we could work from home. The next week we had freedom to exercise and we went out every morning I think, or at least most mornings. Then that was canned and it was confinement. I think I did almost two weeks before I went out again, have only been out twice since then as well, with permits those times.

I can dig it, I'm a lazy bastard and normally have to find reasons not to see other people or go places. Now I don't.
Tee times are booked solid for the next two weekends up in RAK
co durham boy is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 9:44 am
  #117  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27,801
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
Tee times are booked solid for the next two weekends up in RAK
Are people just chancing it without a permit then?
Scamp is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 9:46 am
  #118  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,017
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Are people just chancing it without a permit then?
Yes , i know fellas playing 3 times per week
co durham boy is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 9:58 am
  #119  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 27,801
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by co durham boy View Post
Yes , i know fellas playing 3 times per week
Mental.

That being said, I miss it. If you were sent out in 2balls either walking or separate buggies I don't see any issues with golf really. It would be a good way to get a lot of people moving again. I'm sure there are other similar opportunities with other sports too.
Scamp is offline  
Old Apr 19th 2020, 10:50 am
  #120  
BE Forum Addict
 
co durham boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Dubai
Posts: 4,017
co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Scamp View Post
Mental.

That being said, I miss it. If you were sent out in 2balls either walking or separate buggies I don't see any issues with golf really. It would be a good way to get a lot of people moving again. I'm sure there are other similar opportunities with other sports too.
Agreed mate , not being able to run or cycle is killing me but you've got to adapt and do the right thing . There's two ways this will go at the weekend and that's a full shut down or a slight relaxation due to movement during Ramadan.

One things for sure, business needs to get moving again and quickly .
co durham boy is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.