British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Lockdown (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/lockdown-931766/)

Miss Ann Thrope Apr 13th 2020 9:56 am

Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12837817)
It is what it is. Got a few complications around what it would mean depending on the scenario so can't really plan too much until I know.

My role is EMEA wide so the fallout in Europe is hurting, the MENA business is doing well in the part I service but the panic for cash is strong.

The equation is a bit like this:

('we must protect our people' + 'marketing content showing desks at home' + 'videos from group leadership') x ('can only actually think short term' + 'where is the $15bn+ of cash we made last year' + 'we're all way out of our depth') = uh oh.

Good luck mate. Something tells me you'll land on your feet whatever way it goes. Surely BritishExpats owes you a tidy sum for keeping the ME forum going singlehandedly for the last 5 or 6 years (well maybe with the occasional assistance of Millhouse's tiny little baby fingers)?

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 13th 2020 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12837887)
Good luck mate. Something tells me you'll land on your feet whatever way it goes. Surely BritishExpats owes you a tidy sum for keeping the ME forum going singlehandedly for the last 5 or 6 years (well maybe with the occasional assistance of Millhouse's tiny little baby fingers)?

Thanks, hopefully don't need to. Guess I'll know this week.

Millhouse and I are the dreamteam, let's face it. :lol::typing:

fth Apr 13th 2020 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12833994)
If you really want to avoid COVID move to Vanuatu - apparently one of the last places to not have it. Be careful of the locals though as they can get a bit bitey.

Quite a popular holiday destination for the Aussies. Generally quite a pleasant place, Cyclones permitting...

DXBtoDOH Apr 13th 2020 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12837799)
Fingers crossed. Got told last night we're all being lined up this week. Might get canned, might be safe. Lockdown just cranked the anxiety to 14.

I'm sorry old boy. Been in your shoes a few times. The downsides of working in AEC. The anxiety is no fun even if I survived. I remember back in 2009 everyone being canned left and right and orders were 1 out of every 3 had to go. Then another mini-cull in 2013. And now there's rumblings of another one this year no matter what the CEO says about how strong the backlog is and I'm thinking I'm too old for this shit.

DXBtoDOH Apr 13th 2020 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12837795)
half piss taking, half serious actually. I always complain of the same to our analysts. I’m very format focused!

a log chart makes things look better than they actually are but does show it slowing... except for USA, they are winning.

Only because 1) China lied and 2) USA is much bigger than anyone else. On a deaths per million basis it's 375 for Spain, 322 for Italy, 215 for France, 160 for the UK and 67 for USA.

Isolate New York City from the US tally, the US would be far lower.

nonthaburi Apr 13th 2020 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12837887)

Small hands.....

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 13th 2020 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12837984)
I'm sorry old boy. Been in your shoes a few times. The downsides of working in AEC. The anxiety is no fun even if I survived. I remember back in 2009 everyone being canned left and right and orders were 1 out of every 3 had to go. Then another mini-cull in 2013. And now there's rumblings of another one this year no matter what the CEO says about how strong the backlog is and I'm thinking I'm too old for this shit.

Cheers, we'll see what happens. I got told by a colleague that it was happening, so guess I have to wait and see. It's hard being 2 months into a new job and company to show you're good and that you shouldn't fall victim to 'last in, first out'. Such is. We'll see.

spouse of scouse Apr 13th 2020 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12838001)
Cheers, we'll see what happens. I got told by a colleague that it was happening, so guess I have to wait and see. It's hard being 2 months into a new job and company to show you're good and that you shouldn't fall victim to 'last in, first out'. Such is. We'll see.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you Scamp :fingerscrossed:

carcajou Apr 14th 2020 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12837799)
Fingers crossed. Got told last night we're all being lined up this week. Might get canned, might be safe. Lockdown just cranked the anxiety to 14.

Come on. In the Middle East, rumours of mass sackings occur on a weekly basis. I lost count of the number of times people my rank were "lined up," including once, at a specially convened meeting just to deliver the message, by an extremely senior manager (and a trustworthy one at that) who told us we were out in 6 months come hell or high water and that our contracts had been redone to all finish on the same date to facilitate this. I ended up walking away happy, and under no pressure to leave, several years later. I understand the current context has ratcheted things up but stick to your plan and keep in mind the grapevine is just the grapevine.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12837986)
Only because 1) China lied and 2) USA is much bigger than anyone else. On a deaths per million basis it's 375 for Spain, 322 for Italy, 215 for France, 160 for the UK and 67 for USA.

Isolate New York City from the US tally, the US would be far lower.

The country with the most cases per capita is actually Switzerland, followed by Luxembourg. It makes absolutely no sense to compare the US with countries like Portugal or Italy. A better comparison would be the US and Europe as a whole, since they have about the same population. The US is at 587,173 cases right now vs a combined total of 597,014 for Italy, Spain, France and Germany. A lot more if you add in all the other countries like the UK, Netherlands etc. Death total is 23,841 in the US vs 56,382 combined total for Italy, Spain, France and Germany. Point being it has run riot across Europe and the US. The US hasn't been harder hit than Europe.

Millhouse Apr 14th 2020 11:46 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12838369)
Come on. In the Middle East, rumours of mass sackings occur on a weekly basis.

I'm always more worried when they reassure me I'm safe.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 14th 2020 11:51 am

Originally Posted by carcajou (Post 12838369)
Come on. In the Middle East, rumours of mass sackings occur on a weekly basis. I lost count of the number of times people my rank were "lined up," including once, at a specially convened meeting just to deliver the message, by an extremely senior manager (and a trustworthy one at that) who told us we were out in 6 months come hell or high water and that our contracts had been redone to all finish on the same date to facilitate this. I ended up walking away happy, and under no pressure to leave, several years later. I understand the current context has ratcheted things up but stick to your plan and keep in mind the grapevine is just the grapevine.

True, good point. Had a positive call with boss in the UK and just had a catch up with a boss here and cuts are coming but fingers crossed. I made it clear I'd take reduced package / hours (lol at the second part of that) or temporary unpaid to protect a job in the long run.

co durham boy Apr 14th 2020 12:48 pm

Good luck mate , trying to ride this one out is the best thing . I do believe though you're going to see a massive exodus across the board here . Wont be many of us that survive this one long term that's for sure.

DXBtoDOH Apr 14th 2020 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12838433)
True, good point. Had a positive call with boss in the UK and just had a catch up with a boss here and cuts are coming but fingers crossed. I made it clear I'd take reduced package / hours (lol at the second part of that) or temporary unpaid to protect a job in the long run.

I figure if you survived 10 years (?) in recruitment in Dubai you must be very good at what you do. You'll be fine no matter what comes.

Millhouse Apr 14th 2020 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12838449)
Good luck mate , trying to ride this one out is the best thing . I do believe though you're going to see a massive exodus across the board here . Wont be many of us that survive this one long term that's for sure.

quite right.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 14th 2020 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12838449)

Yeah, agreed. Cheers.

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12838459)
I figure if you survived 10 years (?) in recruitment in Dubai you must be very good at what you do. You'll be fine no matter what comes.

9yrs a week or so ago. Mental how time flies. I'm just Linkedin famous rather than good :thumbup: