Lockdown

Old Apr 21st 2020, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

No Ramadan tents allowed this year or food at the mosques. I guess that answers the question of will lockdown be released for Ramadan.
Old Apr 21st 2020, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
Here's a chart showing your chance of dying (from any cause) vs the chance of dying if you catch covid19...from the age of 40 onwards, the chances are roughly equal. In other words, if you catch covid19 your chances of dying in the year roughly double. Put another way, a 14 day case of covid19 is roughly as deadly as all the other things that might kill you, over the course of a year, added together.
Your graph is a perfect example of lies, lies and d*mned statistics.

Notice how it very cleverly shows the same spacing between .001 and .005 on the Y axis as it does for 10-50, greatly skewing perspectives of percentages and grossly exaggerating, graphically, the odds.

The graph also applies a one size fits all model to everyone equally. Which is not true IRL. A healthy 40 year old man or woman has a drastically different odds than a similarly aged person who's suffering from diabetes or other underlying health problems. My odds of dying hasn't doubled due to COVID-19, for the simple reason I'd survive it (assuming I didn't already have it as an asymptomatic carrier or that very mild bout of not feeling 100% fit back in February wasn't the virus). The COVID-19 data is based on existing deaths and testing data, which we all know is heavily skewed to the unhealthy seeking hospital care and deaths, as those are the people getting tested rather than a general population sample testing pool.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

These are population statistics; they are not plotting your own personal chances of dying. This is self-evident, as for the people that do die every year, their personal probability of dying is 100% and for everyone else its 0. The more different you think you are from the cohort of people your age, the less these population statistics apply. However, on average and by definition, we are all similar to the cohort.

The scale is chosen so that you can actually read off the numbers. If you prefer a linear scale, here you go. The message is just the same (albeit now with the risk of misinterpreting that the chances of dying between the ages of 10 and 40 are zero, because of the scale): the chances of dying from covid-19 are roughly the same as the chances of dying from everything else over a year. No-one is arguing that the chances of dying if you're young are relatively low, with covid19 or not. The fact that people under the age of 60 have low mortality has been established for a couple of millenia now.

I'll admit that my wording was misleading in the earlier post, using "you" implies you personally, not you the average person of your age.

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 5:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by csdf
These are population statistics; they are not plotting your own personal chances of dying. This is self-evident, as for the people that do die every year, their personal probability of dying is 100% and for everyone else its 0. The more different you think you are from the cohort of people your age, the less these population statistics apply. However, on average and by definition, we are all similar to the cohort.

The scale is chosen so that you can actually read off the numbers. If you prefer a linear scale, here you go. The message is just the same (albeit now with the risk of misinterpreting that the chances of dying between the ages of 10 and 40 are zero, because of the scale): the chances of dying from covid-19 are roughly the same as the chances of dying from everything else over a year. No-one is arguing that the chances of dying if you're young are relatively low, with covid19 or not. The fact that people under the age of 60 have low mortality has been established for a couple of millenia now.

I'll admit that my wording was misleading in the earlier post, using "you" implies you personally, not you the average person of your age.
The fact this needed explaining is the worrying part.

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
The fact this needed explaining is the worrying part.
So basically the conclusion is that if you catch a potentially deadly infectious disease, your chance of dying increases. Would be good to see how the lines move if you say caught the flu, pneumonia, malaria, typhoid, cholera etc. at various ages.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 6:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
So basically the conclusion is that if you catch a potentially deadly infectious disease, your chance of dying increases. Would be good to see how the lines move if you say caught the flu, pneumonia, malaria, typhoid, cholera etc. at various ages.
If you say so.
I wouldn't bother looking, let alone sharing. You'll just be told it's manipulation of statistics to serve an 'agenda'. Not sure what anyone's 'agenda' is with this disease but there we go.

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, if we are going to be reductionist, then yes, we're all going to die anyway so why all the fuss?
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Great chart on the BBC today... total weekly deaths this week, 18k (including covid and not). Record high of weekly deaths, 22k in 2000, and 20k in 1977 - both due to flu outbreaks. We think we may have peaked.

If it has peaked, then it peaked at less than the 2000 and 1977 death rates. There were less people, less hospitals and a smaller economy in 2000 and 1977. In both previous cases, we didn't shut the whole country down.

Yes - ok, if we hadn't shut the economy down the number of deaths might be higher (although there is no real evidence for that, especially as 50% of deaths are in care homes) but as a % of the total population, it is would still probably lower than 2000/1977.

It's really hard for me to see how this is not an over-reaction.

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 9:07 am
Account Closed

Great chart on the BBC today... total weekly deaths this week, 18k (including covid and not). Record high of weekly deaths, 22k in 2000, and 20k in 1977 - both due to flu outbreaks. We think we may have peaked.

If it has peaked, then it peaked at less than the 2000 and 1977 death rates. There were less people, less hospitals and a smaller economy in 2000 and 1977. In both previous cases, we didn't shut the whole country down.

Yes - ok, if we hadn't shut the economy down the number of deaths might be higher (although there is no real evidence for that, especially as 50% of deaths are in care homes) but as a % of the total population, it is would still probably lower than 2000/1977.

If it has peaked and it's done then yes, you can arrive at that conclusion. If we've peaked and can expect a similar trajectory down then the number basically doubles, right?
This also assumes that opening back up means there's no second, third, fourth and so on 'peaks' of any size?

I wonder what the stats around flu and similar are for other countries, particularly in less flu-affected nations (I'm making a blunt assumption that warmer countries suffer less from this).
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 10:26 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

I really do not think people are understanding the economic shit storm headed our way.

The impact of that on peoples health is difficult to gauge, but it is going to affect everyone for years to come. With the focus on mental health in recent years, this would be a huge concern for me if I was running the country.

I'm now reluctant to read the news, initially it was more of a 'we are all in this together, stay at home etc...' as now its turning more into finger pointing, 'this should have been done' etc...

The fact is, nobody really knows how to control this, once its over it should become clearer and the knives will come out.

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I really do not think people are understanding the economic shit storm headed our way.
The upcoming shit storm is greater than just economic. It's also going to be a political and social shit storm.

The public has effectively allowed (and supported) governments in nationalising most of their economies while granting them unprecedented powers of control. Governments rarely give up new powers, as evidenced by many emergency powers introduced during 9/11 there were ultimately written into law. The developed world has walked into a new form of economic and political control that would not have otherwise had broad-based support.

The cost of all this free support is totally unknown, but one thing that can be assured is that it will not be cheap.
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 10:50 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

I think the analysis will only be clear very much in hindsight. The arguments that wind me up the most are these kind of whattabouttery comparisons, we never shut down when we had the great plague etc. ok point noted but so what? Is the point that any current actions should only be relative or constrained to the limits of previous historic actions.

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 11:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
I think the analysis will only be clear very much in hindsight. The arguments that wind me up the most are these kind of whattabouttery comparisons, we never shut down when we had the great plague etc. ok point noted but so what? Is the point that any current actions should only be relative or constrained to the limits of previous historic actions.
Not at all, but we must also question any action we do take. Like it or not, we are setting a precedent for the future.

Old Apr 22nd 2020, 11:07 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Not at all, but we must also question any action we do take. Like it or not, we are setting a precedent for the future.
The precedent could just as easily be not to do this.

Has anybody ran the numbers on the economics of letting everything run wild, no lockdowns and assume maximum deaths - how that would look as a counterpoint to the economics of a lock down?
Old Apr 22nd 2020, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
The precedent could just as easily be not to do this.

Has anybody ran the numbers on the economics of letting everything run wild, no lockdowns and assume maximum deaths - how that would look as a counterpoint to the economics of a lock down?
Let's ask csfd

Realistically, yes they have, but no one in charge can listen or acknowledge this type of analysis if they ever want to stay in power again. It's just politically not acceptable to say that some loss of life is acceptable. Remember, the curve is only being flattened, not eradicated - the area under it is expected to be the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.