British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Middle East (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/)
-   -   Lockdown (https://britishexpats.com/forum/middle-east-60/lockdown-931766/)

Millhouse Mar 17th 2020 7:33 am

Lockdown

So... if we are put into lockdown (either real, or in all but name), what's your game plan?

I'm now five days into working from home as I was kicked out of the office due to a cold last week. Already the cabin fever is starting to bite and it's not even hot yet. The closure of the gyms was a blow for me but I'm now running in the mornings with the dog and using my kettlebells.

TheShed Mar 17th 2020 7:53 am

Re: Lockdown

I've been working from home for months as I'm the only permanent employee in UAE and I didnt like my office in JLT much. This week, my company implemented WFH globally (about 1,000) people and I've got to say I'm impressed. We've pretty much cut out the silly meetings which are really just gatherings and we seem to be getting more done in shorter time. I've advocated WFH for knowledge workers for years and am very surprised how quickly people are adopting it and how well they are performing.

My way to avoid cabin fever and lack of social contact was always to head out to coffee shops and HH 1-2 evenings a week. This aspect of CV19 (I don't trust the unhygienic people of Dubai) is having a bigger effect on me at the moment.

nonthaburi Mar 17th 2020 11:48 am

Result, working in shifts as of tomorrow. One day on, one day off.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 17th 2020 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12822078)
using my kettlebells.

Euphemism?

I'm trying to be 'locked down' at the moment. In reality, with a visiting Mother it means we're working from home with her on the balcony and then going out for dinner. It's hardly a challenge at the moment.

If restaurants and my local actually close so there isn't anywhere to go then I'm not sure. It'll be mentally a real challenge actually and I'll have to properly work from home instead of rolling out of bed hungover and sitting in my jammies all day like I have this week. Up, shower, shirt on, desk, focus etc.

Went for a walk this morning and barely came across anyone so the reality of still being able to get some fresh(ish) air and stretch the legs is there. You just go out and walk and don't get close to people or touch stuff.

co durham boy Mar 18th 2020 7:48 am

Not much change for us , a few guys with central functions are working remotely and there's a bit of flexibility in working hours . I don't use the gym that much as most of my stuff is done in the back garden with a few bits . Running and cycling still going strong but the track at NAS is now shut so if you want to ride long its Al Qudra with all the Lycra bound fatties.

You can still get a drink up by me but for how long i'm not sure , we're hearing a proper lock down is imminent .

Millhouse Mar 24th 2020 6:04 am

Ordered loads of board games this week. Currently considering getting an inflatable pool for the garden.

Trying to get a swingball.

Bring it on.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 24th 2020 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12826152)
Ordered loads of board games this week. Currently considering getting an inflatable pool for the garden.

Trying to get a swingball.

Bring it on.

Ordered another desk from IKEA. We have a nice desk but with both working from home the dining table is a disaster zone. 92dhs and free delivery. If that's not a bargain I don't know what is.

Millhouse Mar 24th 2020 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12826163)
Ordered another desk from IKEA. We have a nice desk but with both working from home the dining table is a disaster zone. 92dhs and free delivery. If that's not a bargain I don't know what is.

My office was already set up as I do a reasonable amount of WFH anyway. Mrs Millhouse needs a lot of attention and decided to sit next to me yesterday. I told her that this isn’t how it’s going to work.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 24th 2020 7:22 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12826166)
My office was already set up as I do a reasonable amount of WFH anyway. Mrs Millhouse needs a lot of attention and decided to sit next to me yesterday. I told her that this isn’t how it’s going to work.

:rofl:

When I'm on the phone I know I'm loud and unfortunately I'm on the phone a lot at the moment.
She's on skype calls with the teachers she manages etc and they're all HOPELESS with this tech, bless them. Every couple of minutes "your screens gone", "can you see my screen? no? OK. How do I share?", "Susan, you're on mute", "can everyone go on mute please". Day one was carnage.

One thing we did do that was good was get up early and get some exercise done and we've agreed a lunch break together, which will be nice. She makes a cracking sarnie.

weasel decentral Mar 25th 2020 3:35 am

India went into full lock-down last night, though it had been the case in Mumbai since Friday night. So here's looking at a full 25 days at home, with no movement except essential food or medicine. Planning on a full Grizzly Adams beard by the end of it, perhaps a selfie every day to document the descent into madness. The temptation to **** off home as soon as it lifts will be strong I think.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 5th 2020 8:17 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12826774)
India went into full lock-down last night, though it had been the case in Mumbai since Friday night. So here's looking at a full 25 days at home, with no movement except essential food or medicine. Planning on a full Grizzly Adams beard by the end of it, perhaps a selfie every day to document the descent into madness. The temptation to **** off home as soon as it lifts will be strong I think.

From BBC news today:

The UK is chartering an initial seven flights to repatriate UK nationals stuck in India, which is currently in lockdown.

There are thought to be about 35,000 British people in India at the moment, 20,000 of whom have contacted the British High Commission to request that they be immediately flown back.

The flights to London will leave from:
  • Mumbai on the 9 and 11 April
  • New Delhi on the 9 and 11 April
  • Goa on the 8, 10 and 12 April

weasel decentral Apr 6th 2020 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12833300)
From BBC news today:

Cheers geezer - I'm going to stick it out for now - while I'm in gainful employment at least. I suppose I'm in a different scenario to the tourists as I'm in my own apartment with company support.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 6th 2020 5:00 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 12833805)
Cheers geezer - I'm going to stick it out for now - while I'm in gainful employment at least. I suppose I'm in a different scenario to the tourists as I'm in my own apartment with company support.

Yeah, fair play. Still earning, why not ride it out. Stay safe though, India has the potential to just explode with this.

weasel decentral Apr 6th 2020 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12833815)
Yeah, fair play. Still earning, why not ride it out. Stay safe though, India has the potential to just explode with this.

That's the plan for now at least - mostly also due to the fact that there are not really any other viable options. At least in the short term.

Millhouse Apr 6th 2020 7:03 am

I saw a great picture in India this week. Everyone in face marks, queuing for something - each with their face no further than 2 inches away from the back of the head of the person in front.