Lockdown

Old Jun 4th 2020, 6:48 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Lockdown

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I'll find out tomorrow, but we are standing strong. With the windows now smashed in on the US office, they will find another excuse to not open up - we won't open until they do as we want our summer vacay.
Any news?
We're working on the basis of a morning in, meeting, then lunching together. I'm excited by the latter but also think it's hard to justify when we're saying we don't want to go in an office.
Anyway, we'll see. HR lead yesterday said to me that the new ideal will be genuine hot-desking, working from anywhere you like sort of mentality. Office for meetings and socials. Imagine working from the UK for a few weeks in the summer, would be glorious.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Any news?
We're working on the basis of a morning in, meeting, then lunching together. I'm excited by the latter but also think it's hard to justify when we're saying we don't want to go in an office.
Anyway, we'll see. HR lead yesterday said to me that the new ideal will be genuine hot-desking, working from anywhere you like sort of mentality. Office for meetings and socials. Imagine working from the UK for a few weeks in the summer, would be glorious.
total panic and refusal to go to the office. Travel to any other emirate also requires approval from someone out of the country.
Old Jun 4th 2020, 9:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
total panic and refusal to go to the office. Travel to any other emirate also requires approval from someone out of the country.
Classic.

We're moving next weekend and the new place will be even easier to work from home so I'm holding out as well.

The missus has been told to go in but joined a call and there were 5 people round a table on the same call with no mask or gloves in a small room. She just laughed at the request to be in and joining those sorts of things.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martinbkk
There might be activity soon, maybe?
Qatar Airways are ramping flights back up. The lockdown's being eased in-country. Positive noises out of MoPH yesterday. Just got my contract extended despite being stuck on the outside.

Barring a new surge in virus cases - unlikely, given it's now been and gone through the work camps - I reckon it's being set up for an end-of-month border opening. 7 hours sat on QF in full PPE served hermetically-sealed Skytrax 5-star cuisine by a Slovenian hottie in a hazmat suite, and compulsory 14 day quarantine on arrival.
Old Jun 5th 2020, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

The cabin crew donning PPE is actually overkill

Firslty, unless they wear it just before getting into the plane and take it off just before getting out, it defeats the purpose to some extent

Secondly if all passengers and crew are wearing masks, what are the odds a crew member will get infected from their clothes ?

And lastly, since passengers are not wearing PPE, the message I get is "this is a very dangerous environment, which is why we are wearing PPE", hardly something to calm one's nerves
Old Jun 5th 2020, 7:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Standanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond reputeStandanista has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima
The cabin crew donning PPE is actually overkill

Firslty, unless they wear it just before getting into the plane and take it off just before getting out, it defeats the purpose to some extent

Secondly if all passengers and crew are wearing masks, what are the odds a crew member will get infected from their clothes ?

And lastly, since passengers are not wearing PPE, the message I get is "this is a very dangerous environment, which is why we are wearing PPE", hardly something to calm one's nerves
QF cabin crew were in masks and gloves when I last flew them mid-March. They're upping that as services start up again. This is from a press release on their website now:

"The airline has further enhanced its onboard safety measures for passengers and cabin crew. The airline is implementing several changes, including the introduction of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) suits for cabin crew while onboard, as well as a modified service that reduces interactions between the passengers and the crew inflight. Cabin crew have already been wearing PPE during flights for a number of weeks, including gloves and face masks. Passengers will also be required to wear face coverings inflight, with the carrier recommending travellers bring their own for fit and comfort purposes."
Old Jun 9th 2020, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

The following posted on Peninsula Qatar website

https://thepeninsulaqatar.com/articl...in-four-phases

Suggests another couple of months.
Old Jun 9th 2020, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

The following posted on Peninsula Qatar website

https://thepeninsulaqatar.com/articl...in-four-phases

Suggests another couple of months.

Confirmed at the press conference last night that it will be 1st August for priority pax (Phase 3), including returning residents, as you say. Presumably some business visas will be in that group as well. Got our guy on the case now on that, will let you know if he has any success. 1st September for the rest of international arrivals (Phase 4), as per your link.

Discover Qatar (owned by Qatar Airways) are the sole agent for booking of quarantine hotels and have a list. Prices from US$40 a night including transport from airport and all meals. Have to present hotel booking voucher for 14 nights at flight check-in as a condition to board.

Interesting that the presentation slides said that there will be a minimum 14 days between phases, so there's a bit of wriggle room to hurry things up if the numbers allow it. That said, a mate of mine with connections to QF has booked for August 1st, so those dates are probably pretty solid.

Last edited by Standanista; Jun 9th 2020 at 6:52 am.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...for-government

I guess this was inevitable, and somewhat known but ouch!
Cost reductions of 30% are going to mean a mix of wage cuts and layoffs for sure
Maybe it will see rents falling further.

Old Jun 12th 2020, 8:29 am
BE Enthusiast

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...for-government

I guess this was inevitable, and somewhat known but ouch!
Cost reductions of 30% are going to mean a mix of wage cuts and layoffs for sure
Maybe it will see rents falling further.
There were job cuts for some expats, and a 25% package cut for the rest, announced mid-May at the place I deal with. That fits in with the 30% cost reduction in the article. It will be interesting to see if it's a case of the press finally getting hold of that news, or whether there is another purge and haircut in the offing.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 8:35 am
Onwards and Upwards!

Johnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond reputeJohnnyboy11 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly believe you could take 30% of the staff out of Government agencies in Qatar and it would actually improve the service. Even more so if selective in the nationalities that were repatriated first...
Old Jun 15th 2020, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like there was a mass approval yesterday for stranded residents to return to UAE.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many of the stranded residents are in that position because of previous poor judgement in leaving the country in the middle of a global pandemic? Because I don't have great hopes that this portion of the population is going to apply great judgement in keeping to quarantine once they get back in.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 5:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by csdf
I wonder how many of the stranded residents are in that position because of previous poor judgement in leaving the country in the middle of a global pandemic? Because I don't have great hopes that this portion of the population is going to apply great judgement in keeping to quarantine once they get back in.
Generally you're 100% correct. Friends of ours are stuck though as both had unwell parents. One made it in time to enjoy the last few weeks of her Dad and the other has been pretty much full time carer for his Mum. Both are stuck and can't get back. I know I'd have done the same in that situation but I also know work colleagues who went on holiday and got stuck. A jolly to Sri Lanka in mid-March when the company asked you not to travel was not just stupid, it was irresponsible. Unpaid leave is completely fair but doesn't make it easy to isolate for 14 days when you return and are desperate to earn again.
Old Jun 15th 2020, 7:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
the ankle tag and signed declaration should manage that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.