Lockdown

Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lockdown

This Abu Dhabi news is very interesting.

If it was because situation was bad in one or more areas of Abu Dhabi you would have seen longer "sterilization" hours or areas being shut down, but which has not happened from what I hear

My hunch is it is because Dubai and Abu Dhabi have different opinions on how fast to open up

Since Dubai actually locked down in April, they feel safer to open up earlier, while AUH may want to take it more steady. I wouldn't be surprised if Dubai is more receptive to its residents returning earlier as well

Another unlikely, more cynical view is too many Abu Dhabi residents were going to Dubai and the northern places for staycations and spending revenue there. Wouldn't be the first time Abu Dhabi residents have been directed to spend money in their own city instead of in Dubai (think of 2013 and the residency rule)
Old Jun 1st 2020, 6:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Maxima

If it was because situation was bad in one or more areas of Abu Dhabi you would have seen longer "sterilization" hours or areas being shut down, but which has not happened from what I hear

My hunch is it is because Dubai and Abu Dhabi have different opinions on how fast to open up

Since Dubai actually locked down in April, they feel safer to open up earlier, while AUH may want to take it more steady. I wouldn't be surprised if Dubai is more receptive to its residents returning earlier as well

Another unlikely, more cynical view is too many Abu Dhabi residents were going to Dubai and the northern places for staycations and spending revenue there. Wouldn't be the first time Abu Dhabi residents have been directed to spend money in their own city instead of in Dubai (think of 2013 and the residency rule)
Friends stuck in the UK have said that if you fly into DXB you have to self-isolate for 14 days, potentially in a hotel room. If you fly into Abu Dhabi, you don't.

Apparently.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Friends stuck in the UK have said that if you fly into DXB you have to self-isolate for 14 days, potentially in a hotel room. If you fly into Abu Dhabi, you don't.

Apparently.
I believe that it’s mandatory hotel in Dubai, in Abu Dhabi you can isolate at home.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 9:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Pongo
I believe that it’s mandatory hotel in Dubai, in Abu Dhabi you can isolate at home.
Yes, I think that's right too. They were thinking of flying into AD and isolating at home in Dubai, but if you can't travel between the Emirates, I'm assuming that won't work.
Old Jun 1st 2020, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maxima

My theory is that Abu Dhabi is trying, through mass testing (e.g. in Musaffah and now in high-rise buildings downtown), to set a "baseline" of people who are known to be virus free so that businesses can re-open properly. It may have found that previously tested virus-free groups of people kept getting infected via visits from or to Dubai (or Sharjah etc) so it's trying to stop that for a bit to see if that effectively stops spread. If it does, then it's an indication that the local authorities have a good handle on who is infected and who isn't within this specific emirate.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by csdf
My theory is that Abu Dhabi is trying, through mass testing (e.g. in Musaffah and now in high-rise buildings downtown), to set a "baseline" of people who are known to be virus free so that businesses can re-open properly. It may have found that previously tested virus-free groups of people kept getting infected via visits from or to Dubai (or Sharjah etc) so it's trying to stop that for a bit to see if that effectively stops spread. If it does, then it's an indication that the local authorities have a good handle on who is infected and who isn't within this specific emirate.
If you take it at face value 100% then your theory is correct. But, as with so many things, if there is stuff before the scenes, then other possibilities are there

Maybe, since Abu Dhabi did not lock down, any hint or claim by Dubai health officials in recent weeks that new cases in Dubai were mostly linked to Abu Dhabi may have ruffled some feathers, and led to this form of posturing.

Of course if it is for a week or 2, then it wont make a big difference , but if it is longer, consider it from Dubai's perspective
There are no Saudi, GCC or Chinese tourists. The only people spending in the hotels and malls and restaurants there are UAE Residents, and I somehow think during the recent Eid Holidays, Abu Dhabi residents accounted for a large number of people spending at staycations and other places, and definitely more than Sharjah residents in amount spent, even if numbers may be higher from Sharjah

Last edited by Maxima; Jun 2nd 2020 at 6:29 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. This would make sense if it was just movement between emirates. But this latest development also forbids movement within Abu Dhabi emirate, so I'm not sure that it would be the result of an inter-emirate argument. Unless they're playing 3D chess, of course.

Which I doubt.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

The biggest shitter is that my delivery of sausage rolls, fresh of the plane in Dubai, has been delayed until Thursday so they can get a permit to transfer this essential item.
Old Jun 2nd 2020, 10:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

the same rules for Bengali and Nepali indentured labourers ? My 17 years in the region tell me that it is different for them and all the others on indentures. It is easy to forget that Westerners have a privileged position in the region.

Last edited by scot47; Jun 2nd 2020 at 10:38 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 10:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
We need a new news item and them we can move on. I still think it'll be the US elections in September.
God Bless America. They have given us our new news item, although it wasn't the elections as I predicted.

Now it's out of the news, hopefully we can stop this constant mass testing of people to check if they are carrying a very unfatal virus and get on with life.

Old Jun 3rd 2020, 10:39 am
Just Joined

sarahlou davis is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by csdf
The biggest shitter is that my delivery of sausage rolls, fresh of the plane in Dubai, has been delayed until Thursday so they can get a permit to transfer this essential item.
The British Butcher AKA Mike Barker at Geant in Mudon does freshly made ones and the frozen Greggs ones
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 10:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
God Bless America. They have given us our new news item, although it wasn't the elections as I predicted.

Now it's out of the news, hopefully we can stop this constant mass testing of people to check if they are carrying a very unfatal virus and get on with life.
On a call now, we're caving in and agreeing to go in sporadically but the focus was management in small groups once a week for a few hours, catch up and then lunch. Lovely.

Originally Posted by sarahlou davis
The British Butcher AKA Mike Barker at Geant in Mudon does freshly made ones and the frozen Greggs ones
His new(ish) shop in Geant in Downtown is dangerously close. The two pack of Greggs Sausage Rolls are superb, some of the fresh meats are superb and good value, some stuff is quite expensive. The service though, is always superb. Great recommendation
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 11:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
On a call now, we're caving in and agreeing to go in sporadically but the focus was management in small groups once a week for a few hours, catch up and then lunch. Lovely.
I'll find out tomorrow, but we are standing strong. With the windows now smashed in on the US office, they will find another excuse to not open up - we won't open until they do as we want our summer vacay.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sarahlou davis
Sounds good, but he's presumably equally affected by the Abu Dhabi cordon sanitaire.
Old Jun 3rd 2020, 5:04 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Currently going in every other day. Told today back to normal schedule on the 21st when the curfew is lifted.

I've really enjoyed it on the whole. Had so much time to myself. Been really relaxing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.