Lockdown

Old Apr 29th 2020, 12:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Lockdown

What do people know about or think about the Corona Apps that are being released or already live in places?

Do they track you and your movement so if you get infected they can see who (by way of app) you were near in the last 14 days and alert them?
Or are they more manual?
Old Apr 29th 2020, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
What do people know about or think about the Corona Apps that are being released or already live in places?

Do they track you and your movement so if you get infected they can see who (by way of app) you were near in the last 14 days and alert them?
Or are they more manual?
Bugger off.
Old Apr 29th 2020, 2:27 pm

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

With the apps what happens when people don't have a smartphone? Plenty of workers out there still with very basic phones.
Old Apr 29th 2020, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

martinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond reputemartinbkk has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of suggestions that most are pretty crap with all sorts of bugs and issues. Some only work if the phone is active, others apparently suck the battery like sixpenny tart on a two shilling bonus. Others are flaky and just read all your contacts anyway. The whole data sharing platform is wide open on these things for the most part I think.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 5:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Bugger off.
Cool.

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
With the apps what happens when people don't have a smartphone? Plenty of workers out there still with very basic phones.
Dunno, guess they don't get tracked. Most people seem to though and I think a lot of labourers (let's focus on them) are camp based so I'd hope there are initiatives ongoing to test, isolate and help them as groups?

Originally Posted by martinbkk
Lots of suggestions that most are pretty crap with all sorts of bugs and issues. Some only work if the phone is active, others apparently suck the battery like sixpenny tart on a two shilling bonus. Others are flaky and just read all your contacts anyway. The whole data sharing platform is wide open on these things for the most part I think.
The ones in China seem pretty impressive from the brief bits I've read. I wonder if you could enforce a download? I mean, I know it's possible because Apple forced me to have some TERRIBLE album from that band fronted by Bono a few years ago...so you can make people have stuff on their phone.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp

Or are they more manual?
I installed TraceCovid, but it absolutely murdered battery life so I disabled it. The developers appear to be first language English speakers, for whatever that's worth in terms of quality of construction. I haven't bothered with the AlHosn app because I've no idea how it's any different to that TraceCovid one and in any case, it's likely also to destroy battery life. BTW, in the Android ecosystem you can check what permissions every app has, and apps have to explicitly ask for permission to do anything (i.e. they don't install with all the permissions pre-granted). You can also disable any permissions later on if you want.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 5:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by csdf
I installed TraceCovid, but it absolutely murdered battery life so I disabled it. The developers appear to be first language English speakers, for whatever that's worth in terms of quality of construction. I haven't bothered with the AlHosn app because I've no idea how it's any different to that TraceCovid one and in any case, it's likely also to destroy battery life. BTW, in the Android ecosystem you can check what permissions every app has, and apps have to explicitly ask for permission to do anything (i.e. they don't install with all the permissions pre-granted). You can also disable any permissions later on if you want.
Of course, it's going to need your location at all times, which does that to batteries.

Hmm. I suppose in theory most people aren't making many trips so sort of doesn't matter but remembering to activate / deactivate and app is a faff.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 12:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

The Police in the UK would have a field day with that, Did anybody else notice the number of arrests after they were allowed to install that "electronic monitoring" at airports. Ill bet the police cant wait for the airport to reopen. Thanks to corona there is lots of prison space at last.
Old Apr 30th 2020, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

https://apnews.com/229e5110ac04fef82734cc125eb5ca39

Whats the opinion on these "sanitization gates"?
Mostly placebo? All they seem to do is disinfect clothes...

Got to love the owner's typical Levatine style exaggeration “If we consider two people, one has a knife and one has coronavirus, the second one is a hundred times dangerous than the first one,” he said.
Old May 3rd 2020, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

So is the local policy now de facto herd immunity? Back of the envelope, assuming 70% infection before herd kicks in, that's about 6 million infections. At a 1% death rate (we're hovering around 0.9% currently, having risen from about 0.6%), 60,000 souls depart this earth. The normal death rate is about 1.5-1.7 per thousand per year, or 14,000/year. So 4x the normal number of deaths.

Old May 3rd 2020, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

So is the local policy now de facto herd immunity? Back of the envelope, assuming 70% infection before herd kicks in, that's about 6 million infections. At a 1% death rate (we're hovering around 0.9% currently, having risen from about 0.6%), 60,000 souls depart this earth. The normal death rate is about 1.5-1.7 per thousand per year, or 14,000/year. So 4x the normal number of deaths.
I think ultimately that's the policy everywhere. Going to be interesting to see how this is ultimately achieved with a highly transient population... I wonder if there is a scenario where we never get there.

The strategy for the young has to got to be: get it, survive it, move on. Only one of those parts is tricky to execute.

Old May 3rd 2020, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Sure, I think it will be the policy everywhere. Edit: quick back-of-the-envelope maths
  • Assume about 1000 ICU beds in the country (about 10 per 100,000, because although population is young, it's diabetic).
  • ICU rate for people aged 20-44 is about 2% (https://www.statista.com/chart/21173...navirus-cases/)
  • That allows a maximum of about 50,000 active cases in the country. We're currently at 10,000. Perhaps this is the calculation.

Last edited by csdf; May 3rd 2020 at 8:29 am.
Old May 3rd 2020, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, I think it will be the policy everywhere. Edit: quick back-of-the-envelope maths
  • Assume about 1000 ICU beds in the country (about 10 per 100,000, because although population is young, it's diabetic).
  • ICU rate for people aged 20-44 is about 2% (https://www.statista.com/chart/21173...navirus-cases/)
  • That allows a maximum of about 50,000 active cases in the country. We're currently at 10,000. Perhaps this is the calculation.
Plus the new field hospitals... a few ICUs in there too.

Old May 3rd 2020, 9:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

McGettigans.
What happened there ?

Old May 3rd 2020, 10:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by scot47
McGettigans.
What happened there ?
Morons, in abundance. Turned up because restaurants were allowed to open, ended up queuing quite close together, people inside without masks just getting tanked up. The rest of us just stayed home.

A few other places opened up immediately and were the same.
Some others didn't open immediately to plan a bit better and never got the chance to open. All booze sales were shut down (although Co Durham Boy may know a few watering holes that survived).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.