Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Location Location Location does Doha...

Location Location Location does Doha...

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

d0ub1ed is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Location Location Location does Doha...

Where's Phil and Kirsty when you need them...

So, I'm likely gonna be moving to Doha in 3 weeks, just ironing out the contract now, and if they give in to my insistance of a car, I'm gonna sign on the dotted line...

I was wondering if you someone could provide some advice on where a single young bachelor should be living. The package includes a housing allowance of 7500, so lets use that as our budget...

what can i be expecting for that kind of money. top of a skyscraper with an infinity pool would be super.

Thanks!
Old Jul 4th 2013, 5:03 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141
Default Re: Location Location Location does Doha...

Originally Posted by d0ub1ed

So, I'm likely gonna be moving to Doha in 3 weeks, just ironing out the contract now, and if they give in to my insistance of a car, I'm gonna sign on the dotted line...

I was wondering if you someone could provide some advice on where a single young bachelor should be living. The package includes a housing allowance of 7500, so lets use that as our budget...

what can i be expecting for that kind of money. top of a skyscraper with an infinity pool would be super.

Thanks!
A car is make or break?!
Old Jul 4th 2013, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

DohaLady has a brilliant futureDohaLady has a brilliant futureDohaLady has a brilliant futureDohaLady has a brilliant futureDohaLady has a brilliant futureDohaLady has a brilliant futureDohaLady has a brilliant future

For 7500 you'll be looking at a nice 1 bed or maybe a 2 bed in Al Sadd area. If you want to put a bit towards it yourself you could look to get a studio on the pearl or possibly a 1 bed in West Bay. Which area are you going to be working in? Traffic can be a nightmare so it's preferable for many to live close by to work.

Hope you enjoy Doha.

Last edited by DohaLady; Jul 4th 2013 at 7:04 am. Reason: Repeating onesself
Old Jul 4th 2013, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by d0ub1ed

Thanks!
Oh dear I think you will be disappointed!
Old Jul 7th 2013, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Housing prices are very high here mate

Try propertyfinder.qa & qatarcl.qa for rough ideas on how much you should be paying. These are a very rough guide though

Im not sure if you will get a 1 bed in westbay/the pearl for less than 10000QAR anymore. If you wanted something like that you would have to put money towards that. Then you have to ask yourself if the deal is worth it

Im a young lad and have only been in Qatar since december. Any questions though feel free to drop me a mail and ill answer as best i can

Take what you read about Qatar with a pinch of salt at times. I could probaly contradict every nasty thing that people like to say about the place a hundred times over but thats starting to get a little boring

If i was you though i would be concentrating trying to get all documents together and arranging on making your life a little easier before you get out here. Dont rush into renting a place the minute you land. Are you being provided accomadation until you find somewhere?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

dragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nicedragonladyoz is just really nice

That type of allowance is not going to get you too much, you will have to put money in, or you could find another person to share with - you would get a nice 2 or maybe 3 bd place for 15K easily.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 10:04 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get a decent flat for that price range , obviously you'll not be living on The Pearl but there's nothing there to get excited about in any case in my opinion.

Just get your bearings when you get here and take a bit of time getting round the city and see what fits in with your budget and what type of commute you'll have .

The city is expanding rapidly and every road in Doha will be ripped up at some point so there's no ideal place to pitch .
I think your allowance is adequate for a single lad . Don't belive everyone is on mega money and mega deals here , there's enough in there for your needs .

Renting property here is a pain in the arse as it's pure ball ache dealing with numpty's , stick at it though as you'll only get out what you put into Qatar .

Doha is no holiday resort but there's a decent quality of life for those who put the effort in . The city is changing rapidly for the better which has even surprised an old battle hardened cynic like me .

Good luck
Old Jul 7th 2013, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to allThe_Citizen is a name known to all

If a car is make or break I would seriously be looking twice at the package. Will you ultimately be better of in Qatar or in the UK?
Old Jul 8th 2013, 7:41 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses guys. Just to clear up the car situation - No, it's not make or break, but I am (was) in a strong negotiating position and wanted to play my hand wisely... Turns out I'm not getting the car anyway, so maybe my position wasn't that strong anyway, but i'm still going.

The company provides a hotel for a week, which might not be that long to find a place. Does anyone have any information about serviced apartments? might fill the gap whilst I find something more permanent...

And I hear what you all say about Doha. I think I've heard it all from all angles, but my feeling is it's quite an exciting opportunity in a rapidly developing city, and as everyone says, you get what you give.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 4:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

I think the cheapest option for serviced apartments in Doha is Ezdan Towers, pretty rubbish but ok for a short stint. I think mine was 9000 for a month in a studio but that was a year ago i'm not sure if they have gone up.

You might want to look at Holiday Villas too, i'm not sure about prices there though.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 11:55 am
Just Joined

They're putting me up in a serviced apartment for a couple of months. Very nice of them...

So is there anything going on around Doha at the moment? or is it all subdued for Ramadan?
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Theseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond reputeTheseus has a reputation beyond repute

Loads going on if you like shopping, and eating but not drinking.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Theseus
Loads going on if you like shopping, and eating between sunset and sunrisebut not drinking.
amended slightly
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

DOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this pointDOHDUBMAN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Theseus
Loads going on if you like shopping, and eating but not drinking.
Not drinking?? You sure about that
Old Jul 10th 2013, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

I like eating but shopping I can't tolerate unless I'm drunk. I think i already know the answer, but it's impossible to get a beer for a month now right? And i guess that would impact on (western) social outings somewhat...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.