Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Local rental agreements

Local rental agreements

Old Oct 16th 2004, 3:07 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute
Question Local rental agreements

My landlord recently raised my rent by 20% after only 12 months in my villa. Does anyone (face the Oracle may) know if the "three year fixed rent law when you first move in" has changed.

I was told by the LL that it applied to the local market value - i.e. the annual rent could be raised at any time but not above the local value - sounds like the goal posts being moved to suit the local team.

If anyone can shed any light on this it'd be much appreciated.

thanks
Old Oct 16th 2004, 3:12 pm
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice
Default Re: Local rental agreements

Originally Posted by Truth Speak
My landlord recently raised my rent by 20% after only 12 months in my villa. Does anyone (face the Oracle may) know if the "three year fixed rent law when you first move in" has changed.

I was told by the LL that it applied to the local market value - i.e. the annual rent could be raised at any time but not above the local value - sounds like the goal posts being moved to suit the local team.

thanks
no idea sorry... u get my message re the thursday thing.

hmm think the Oracle has gone to do his homework...
Old Oct 16th 2004, 3:18 pm
Premium Member

Truth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond reputeTruth Speak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joseph.creative
no idea sorry... u get my message re the thursday thing.

thanks Joe, got it - i've been out for the last 2 days and lost the plot on here - sems to be somewot manic at times.

I'll be there - probably - work permitting.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

I believe the landlord can only raise it by 10-15%, but if you have a NEW landlord he is allowed to raise it by 20%
Old Oct 16th 2004, 3:45 pm
Beduoin_Boy

thanks

He cannot raise it without prior notice... and yes He can raise it by 20% after 12months.

Old Oct 16th 2004, 4:10 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by DubaiExpat
I believe the landlord can only raise it by 10-15%, but if you have a NEW landlord he is allowed to raise it by 20%
thanks for the info - bad news but now I know.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 4:11 pm
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Beduoin_Boy
He cannot raise it without prior notice... and yes He can raise it by 20% after 12months.
Thanks - i've just had the notice - oh well time to move.
Old Oct 16th 2004, 5:39 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

thanks
Well truth be told, the landlord has the right to raise the rent by upto 20% after 12 months. Thats a major problem here.....I hear people complaing about that all the time. They reel u in with wot appears to be the bargain of the century and one year on, the rent blows up in ur face (no pun intended) and they make up for lost ground in with a single blow. My Dad also received a rent rise notification earlier this year.......was 15% I think. So it is nothing new at all.

Best advice is to check with other tenants in the complex/building before signing a contract. Ask a random sampling of ppl wot their rents are to suss out wot price rise if any, u may be subjected to in the future.

Oh and with the rising oil prices, we have to start feeling the effects sooner or later.........guess rising rents will be one of the first things to go up.

No laws to protect those who rent. Shame really!
Old Oct 16th 2004, 5:51 pm
The Oracle

Face81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of lightFace81 is a glorious beacon of light

well the Oracle had HW to sort thru and study for 2 possible tests. Glad to say all that is done and dusted. Bring on the tests!!!!hahaha Piece of cake!

New timings are: (drum roll please)

Sun, Tues, Wed: 9:30 AM - 3:40 PM
Mon: 9:30AM - 11:10 AM

A life of luxury! All thanks to my protest! Yay!!!!

Oh and a 3 day weekend. hehehehe
Old Oct 16th 2004, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

DubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud ofDubaiExpat has much to be proud of

Have you considered putting your rental allowance into mortgage repayments? Makes a lot of sense, and if (and I hope this does not happen)
the property market crashes in a way you have not lost anything because it would have been your employer's money you were using to pay for the house.
Old Oct 17th 2004, 5:10 am
Beduoin_Boy

Originally Posted by Face81
Well truth be told, the landlord has the right to raise the rent by upto 20% after 12 months. Thats a major problem here.....I hear people complaing about that all the time. They reel u in with wot appears to be the bargain of the century and one year on, the rent blows up in ur face (no pun intended) and they make up for lost ground in with a single blow. My Dad also received a rent rise notification earlier this year.......was 15% I think. So it is nothing new at all.
Aren't the people to be blamed for this?

Ofcourse the landlords will be greedy after all these real estate people chasing them for higher pay!

This is a major problem here.

Old Oct 17th 2004, 6:59 am
The 5th Amendment

joseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nicejoseph.creative is just really nice

well the Oracle had HW to sort thru and study for 2 possible tests. Glad to say all that is done and dusted. Bring on the tests!!!!hahaha Piece of cake!

New timings are: (drum roll please)

Sun, Tues, Wed: 9:30 AM - 3:40 PM
Mon: 9:30AM - 11:10 AM

A life of luxury! All thanks to my protest! Yay!!!!

Oh and a 3 day weekend. hehehehe
maybe you need your own thread about the AUD!!!? lol
Old Oct 17th 2004, 8:33 am
The Oracle

Originally Posted by Beduoin_Boy
Aren't the people to be blamed for this?
Not at all!!!! The landlords are just trying to cash in on the extravagently priced housing that is being sold for astonishingly high prices in South Dubai. People who dont buy property there are the ones that are suffering!
Old Oct 17th 2004, 8:34 am
The Oracle

maybe you need your own thread about the AUD!!!? lol
dont get me started about this place u!!!! I would prolly need about 2 billion gigs of space on a server to vent all my opinions about this uni!!!!

And then we wud need to get down to the nitty gritty facts of how things are done and we wud need another 3 billion gigs!lol
Old Oct 17th 2004, 9:09 am
The 5th Amendment

dont get me started about this place u!!!! I would prolly need about 2 billion gigs of space on a server to vent all my opinions about this uni!!!!

And then we wud need to get down to the nitty gritty facts of how things are done and we wud need another 3 billion gigs!lol
only 3 billion? :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.