Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Living and working in Dubai

Living and working in Dubai

Old Mar 11th 2006, 12:50 am
Just Joined

cadvis3d is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Living and working in Dubai

Hi all...my names Paul and i stumbled across this forum whilst searching the internet in search for information on living and working in Dubai.

I'll start with saying that i'm 26 years old and getting married this July. My wife to be is 25 and we are both sick of living in England now.

To cut a long story short i'm abit a jack of all trades, but at the moment my main profession is as a Architectural Technologist and i run contracts worth around £10 million, but sadly i dont really get paid enough doing this!...

So me and an old friend got talking sometime back, he does the same job as me and has been in the business for 30 something years. He also is wanting to work/live in Dubai and so we set to finding out what is involved. He managed to get talking to a few recruitment agencies over here that have sent people out there to work over the past few months and explained to us that there is a massive increase in work available in our sector in Dubai right now. They also explained that we would be working for over 4 times the income we are now, tax free!!. This also included all our accomodation costs and travel. We were also told that 'teams' are being prefered and therefore we would both go out there to gether (wifes in tow), which would make the move a hell of a lot easier, as we would have each other to lean on.

After hearing this, i just want to go. The contracts are around 3-4 years long and would set me up for life. My wife to be is 100% behind me with it all and is actually more excited than me about it than me!...Also my family are great about it, telling me to go and not waste anytime (think they just want rid of me! )

So basically i was wanting to get some feeback from british folk, living and working in Dubai and get an idea of what its like and how easy was it to adjust. Are there certain aspects of their culture i must be aware of (ie when in rome, do as the romans do) or are things getting more relaxed?...How quickly did the move happen from interview to starting and do you find it a friendly and safe place to live and work in?

This will be a massive thing for us all and a decision i am not taking lightly, but it would make life a hell of a lot easier in the long run.

If all the things we have been told are true then it could be the answer i have been searching for.

cheers & beers....Paul
Old Mar 11th 2006, 2:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living and working in Dubai

welcome to the forums and good luck with it

There's quite a few threads you might want to flicker through about life there, and also some good links in the faq's about what to do, where to stay etc that you might find handy
Old Mar 11th 2006, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

trailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bob
welcome to the forums and good luck with it

There's quite a few threads you might want to flicker through about life there, and also some good links in the faq's about what to do, where to stay etc that you might find handy
Also check out the "New to Dubai" and "UAE Profile" sections of expatmum http://www.expatmum.com/

This site is mainly aimed at us womenfolk, but lots of useful info. If you are coming to work in the construction business, do be prepared for long hours and do make sure the package is going to be sufficient for all your expenses. There are a number of threads on the UAE information boards on expatmum about these topics. Good luck!

Last edited by trailingspouse; Mar 11th 2006 at 4:47 am.
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:19 am
Banned

CasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond reputeCasaNova has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadvis3d
Hi all...my names Paul and i stumbled across this forum whilst searching the internet in search for information on living and working in Dubai.

I'll start with saying that i'm 26 years old and getting married this July. My wife to be is 25 and we are both sick of living in England now.

To cut a long story short i'm abit a jack of all trades, but at the moment my main profession is as a Architectural Technologist and i run contracts worth around £10 million, but sadly i dont really get paid enough doing this!...

So me and an old friend got talking sometime back, he does the same job as me and has been in the business for 30 something years. He also is wanting to work/live in Dubai and so we set to finding out what is involved. He managed to get talking to a few recruitment agencies over here that have sent people out there to work over the past few months and explained to us that there is a massive increase in work available in our sector in Dubai right now. They also explained that we would be working for over 4 times the income we are now, tax free!!. This also included all our accomodation costs and travel. We were also told that 'teams' are being prefered and therefore we would both go out there to gether (wifes in tow), which would make the move a hell of a lot easier, as we would have each other to lean on.

After hearing this, i just want to go. The contracts are around 3-4 years long and would set me up for life. My wife to be is 100% behind me with it all and is actually more excited than me about it than me!...Also my family are great about it, telling me to go and not waste anytime (think they just want rid of me! )

So basically i was wanting to get some feeback from british folk, living and working in Dubai and get an idea of what its like and how easy was it to adjust. Are there certain aspects of their culture i must be aware of (ie when in rome, do as the romans do) or are things getting more relaxed?...How quickly did the move happen from interview to starting and do you find it a friendly and safe place to live and work in?

This will be a massive thing for us all and a decision i am not taking lightly, but it would make life a hell of a lot easier in the long run.

If all the things we have been told are true then it could be the answer i have been searching for.

cheers & beers....Paul

You can check Qatar as well! massive developments.

yes expatwomen site is great! it helped me to buy the best diapers for my baby, and expensive beauty parlour for my wife.

All the best
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:51 am
A Natural Blonde

Zannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond reputeZannie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi welcome to the site... Buy the Dubai Explorer Book and the Dubai Zappy book (should be able to get them on Amazon), this book is a bible for anyone thinking of moving to Dubai.

Have you ever been out here? Obviously lots of employment agencies are sent thousands of CV's a week, most are hardly ever read. If you are serious about coming out here, arrange a few days (try and do it before June as the weather is starting to really heat up!!), contact the employment agencies direct and tell them you'll be out on such and such and you want to make an appointment. This shows to them that you are serious about getting a job out here. However another good way is contacting company HR departments direct and asking if they are recruiting (both these ways have proven to work well - plus unlike the UK, jobs arn't always advertised, you've got to look for them) and again if you can get out here for a few days, tell them when and hopefully arrange an appointment. You can also be lucky for a company to approach you out of the blue (in my husband's case).

As Bob mentioned the FaQ's thread at the top of the M/E forum page is very informative.

Good luck.

Zannie
Old Mar 11th 2006, 4:51 am
Forum Regular

trailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant futuretrailingspouse has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CasaNova
You can check Qatar as well! massive developments.

yes expatwomen site is great! it helped me to buy the best diapers for my baby, and expensive beauty parlour for my wife.

All the best
meow, meow
Old Mar 11th 2006, 7:49 am
Soupy twist

Eeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond reputeEeyore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trailingspouse
meow, meow
I have to agree that the Expatmums site is great. The forum is full of people asking difficult questions like "Where can I go to buy a bedside clock radio"... for some reason, it never occurred to them to try Carrefour or Geant to begin with...
Old Mar 11th 2006, 10:39 am
Feeling broody

alowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to beholdalowicious_28 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Paul, welcome to the site.

My hubby was told about his construction job in Dubai by a friend, he applied and got the job within two weeks without an interview, a month later we married and then moved here - all very very quick!

We were both very excited about coming to live here but the experience has been much easier for hubby because he made friends at his work.

I made 2 good friends on my second day here and we see each other about twice a week. I have other friends too who I don't see as often as they are busy with family. I don't work at the moment but I am looking. To be honest I wish that I had got a job straight away because I have found it very boring here - once you have seen one Mall you have seen them all

I don't regret moving here because the money is fantastic. It initially took me 7 months to feel settled and I was very homesick alot of the time. At xmas we visited the UK for two weeks and although I was looking forward to coming back here (because of the weather) it set me back big time. I am ok again now though Your wife to be should find it easier if you come with your friends though.

Dubai is a great place, I feel safe here, the summer heat is unbearable 40 - 50 degrees centigrade but lovely at all other times!, you can drink alcohol, there are loads of british style pubs here, the food is great.

I hope you manage to get some work here and enjoy your wedding. If you have any more questions then PM me.

Al x x x