Living and working in Dubai

Living and working in Dubai

Old May 11th 2003, 3:26 am
SMG
Just Joined

SMG is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool

Hi Pete

Although not planning to emmigrate to Dubai just yet, my wife and I are coming out for our hols first week in June.

We are both 30, staying in Bur Dubai.

Are there any 'must do' or 'must see' that you would recommend?

Any other top travel tips would be appreciated!

Cheers

Stephen
Old May 11th 2003, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Coxy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Stephen,
I don't want to put a dampener on your holiday too much as Bur Dubai isn't the most beautiful place to stay. The upside is that you are central so it will make taxi's a lot cheaper for you. Did you take a look at http://www.timeoutdubai.com/
as this will tell you of any forthcoming events.
The Irish village is well worth a visit one evening as the atmosphere is excellent most nights and it is the best pint of Guinness in town.
Price wise it varies (between 1.80 to 8 quid per beer) and some of the places (Scarlets in the Emirates towers) is well pricey but it is still worth a visit.
If you smoke don't buy any duty free your end as you can pick up a carton of 200 up at Dubai airport for about 40 Dirhams (under seven quid!) and they will let you through customs with 10 cartons!!
Bur Dubai is a decent enough place but be prepared to taxi it everywhere as the temp will be about 42+ it might be better if you get an international licence over there as you can hire a small car for as little as 15 quid a day.
If you do get a motor then Fujairah is worth a visit (approx 1 hour 20 drive) if you like beautiful scenery and mountains.
The best thing I can do for you is get my thinking cap on once I know what you both like and I will take a day off and drive you around to show you the sights
Old May 12th 2003, 9:10 am
SMG
Just Joined

SMG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Pete

Thanks for getting in touch.

We are staying in Bur Dubai as I have a deal with Holiday Inn - but I had read in Lonely Planet it's not perhaps the nicest part of the city.

When I actually booked the flights, I hadn't realised it was going to be as hot (or humid) as it will be, but we are both sun-worshipers so we'll give it a go!

Our plan is to explore some of the older parts of town, do loads of relaxing by the pool, and try to pack in as much night life as we can manage. My wife is also looking forward to plenty of shopping which is already starting to sound expensive to me, even at Dubai prices.

Neither of us smoke, but at those prices we will definately be taking our allowance back with us if only to flog them in the UK.

I had a quick look at TimeOut after seeing you mention it earlier in the thread - I'll keep close to that as June gets nearer.

In the meantime, if you think of anything else, let me know! Is the Wild Wadi as good as the guide book says etc etc? We are going to be real tourists - can't you tell.

Speak soon

Stephen
Old Jun 30th 2003, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

asif is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working in dubai

hi i am a recent graduate looking to work and live in duabi as i dont want to stay in UK no longer!!!

is there any IT oppertunities or Sales oppertunities in dubai that might be ideal for me to look into?

whats stages do i have to go through to get myself in dubai and settle down there

please someone help as im in desperate need

Asif
Old Jul 13th 2003, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

buckster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Living and working in Dubai

Mackem (former resident of Sunderland) living in Sydney, australian resident 27 yrs old looking at opportunities in the Gulf.
Currently working in Telco Account Management.
Please advice of ways of entering the Gulf market.
Cheers Scott
Old Jul 13th 2003, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

buckster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dubai

Mackem (former resident of Sunderland) living in Sydney, australian resident 27 yrs old looking at opportunities in the Gulf.
Currently working in Telco Account Management.
Please advice of any ways of entering the Gulf market.

Cheers
Scott
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:28 am
Just Joined

sHAZ24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: working in dubai

Originally posted by asif
hi i am a recent graduate looking to work and live in duabi as i dont want to stay in UK no longer!!!

is there any IT oppertunities or Sales oppertunities in dubai that might be ideal for me to look into?

whats stages do i have to go through to get myself in dubai and settle down there

please someone help as im in desperate need

Asif
Hi Asif

I too 'was' looking for a job in Dubai, having been a recent graduate like yourself in IT. I obtained a few email addresses from the hobsons graduate website and emailed a few companies but have not had much luck. However u cud do the same as you may have more experience than myself. also there is a good website you cud try which has a list of many UAE firms and agencies. Good Luck

http://members.tripod.com/assamtoday/employme.htm

Shaz